Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kristin126

Kristin's Clear Skin regimen log

Okay, well here we go. Once again, looking for a solution to persistent and annoying pimples and blackheads. Day 1: August 30th, 2005

eusa_dance.gif

A little about me: I am a 35 year old female, have mild to moderate acne, and am also plagued by hyperpigmentation (from years of birth control pills, which I have now been off for 4 months). My skin has been described by estheticians as "thick" and in the past has always reacted very very well to all sorts of exfoliation and peels. For example, if a scrub said "use 3 times a week" I could use it every day and my skin just loved it. I never feel dry or flaky; more likely, I'll feel clogged and oily and want to scrub. All of the pores around my nose, chin, and between my eyebrows have always, always looked large and like they are dirty, even when I have just washed. So I feel like my problem is more blackhead related than pustule or whitehead type of stuff. I wish there was a little vacuum cleaner that I could use on my face that would suck out all the gunk from my pores ! I am curious to see if this regimen will work for me, and I know it will be hard for me to just do the super gentle washing, after years of scrubbing. Man, I love my scrubs ! But I see the success that so many people have had by following this system strictly, so I am prepared to do the same. Nothing to lose ...

So, I looked at the products recommended today, and I have to say - I have never spend so LITTLE on a skin care regimen ! This is great, and a little weird. I have been conditioned over the years to believe that I have to spend a couple hundred dollars to get quality products. I ordered some of the Cetaphil antibacterial soap bars from drugstore.com, and some of the 2.5% BP gel from Dan's website. Those are on the way, and until they arrive I am using the following (because I already have them in the house):

Cleanser: Philosophy "Purity Made Simple" cleanser. I purchased this as part of their "Makeup Optional Skin Care Kit" which is actually not a bad set of products. I'll have to set them aside for now and possibly reintroduce some of the fun stuff in there later. But the cleanser is a nice basic gentle cleanser, and it foams up nicely in my hands, so I don't see why I can't finish up the rest of the bottle and then start my Cetaphil bar.

BP: Right now, I have a brand new bottle of the Proactiv 2.5% BP cream, and I applied it today exactly as Dan does in his video. Felt a little weird to use so much, but I can get used to it. My face was a little but itchy - just a tiny bit - for awhile afterwards but that passed. Like I said, I have "thick" skin which seems to be pretty much the opposite of "sensitive." My skin thrives on products that would bring other people to tears, I swear. It must be genetic.

Moisturizer: Again, I went back to the Philosophy skin care kit that I already had, and I used their "Hope in a Jar" moisturizer. It is very light, with almost no scent, and it feels like you are rubbing water into your skin. For people who have found some of the other moisturizers too heavy and oily, this might be a good one to try, but you have to order it over the Internet, as far as I can find. It's about $20 for a medium sized jar - not as cheap as some of the other products that Dan recommends. So far it is working great, I don't feel dry or flaky at all, but maybe after a couple of days using the BP regularly, I might start to feel drier and want something heavier. I'll play it by ear ...

My skin felt really good after my first application of this regimen, and I am hopeful that I will have great results. I plan to follow the plan exactly, and to avoid the temptation to deviate and modify it myself, at least for several months until I see it working.

I will try to update daily with progress.

Kristin

Good luck, hopeufully it will work for you, just remember that it does take a long while for some to see results, its taken me almost 2 and half months to see anything good, there is no quick fix.

Yes, I am totally prepared for it to take several months to see an improvement, especially with regards to the hyperpigmentation, which I realize this regimen is not even designed to address.

Day 2 - all I have to report is that I woke up with my face feeling less greasy than normal, and there don't appear to be any new zits forming, though at this point anything happening could be coincidence. It's just wsay too early to attribute anything to a new regimen. I think I will hold off on logging anything until 1 week has passed, unless something truly remarkable starts to happen.

So, look for an update sometime around next Tuesday.

Kristin

You started with the max amount? I am concerned that you are going to experience severe redness/dryness/itchiness. This also concerns me that you are not exactly on the regimen if you missed that important part of it. It's important to start slowly. I'm just concerned that if you missed that and I say it several times throughout the regimen that you may not have read it carefully and might not be following it. It's always a good idea to print it out and take it into the bathroom with you.

Then again, maybe you've already been on bp for a long time and didn't need to start slowly. In that case, nevermind.

Day 2:

Yes, I did catch the part on the regimen instructions about starting slowly. I didn't start with the full amount, I used about half a finger's worth, which I think is slightly more than you recommend, though not anything ridiculous - the half a fingers length still felt like "a lot" compared to the way I was using BP in the past - just dabbing a tiny spot on an individual pimple. So I am following the instructions, starting slowly, though with my own experience with my skin, I will be surprised if I have any sort of bad reaction to the BP ... if I do, I will know it is my own fault for starting with too much, and I'll back off to a lesser amount immediately.

Oh, and I was using the Proactiv lotion yesterday; that one, in the past, I have used recently as an overall lotion in a thinner layer. (When I just referred to "dabbing" tiny amounts on individual pimples, that was if I was using Oxy 10 or something, and that was quite awhile in the past.)

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my first post.

I will keep you informed.

Kristin

P.S. The only thing I notice at this point is a tiny, tiny amound of peeling underneath my nose, in that crease between your nose and the rest of your face. I will watch that closely to make sure that it's not going to flare up into something uncomfortable, and I will be a little more conservative in my applicaton of BP right there for a little while, just to be safe.

Day 3- still going stong, with nice even skin tone and a few pimples healing up. My face is starting to feel a little drier, but nothing in excess of what Dan describes as normal in the explanation of this regimen. I see why he recommends a moisturizer from the beginning, and I can imagine switching to a more heavy-duty one at some point in the future. The light-as-water one that I like now may not be enough in another week or two.

some more slight - very slight - paper thin peeling around my mouth and the sides of my nose, which actually makes me happy, because it means that the BP is having an exfoliating effect as well, so I am not tempted to scrub at all. The dark spots in the pores of my nose, kind of like blackheads but not quite, seem to be fading, the pores look like they are cleaning themselves up.

Pimples on my lower chin are healing up, though I can also feel a few brewing under the surface there and in other places on my face - one in the middle of my forehead ! Nice ! Like a freakin' radio beacon. But I'll ride it out and NOT TOUCH IT and hope for the best.

Washing only twice a day, trying not to touch my face, and being very gentle with both washing and applying the BP and mousturizer. I think I am doing okay.

Kristin

I like the sound of this. I think you're on the right track and following it just right and being careful. Can't wait to see your results.

Sept 3rd (Day 5 ? I think ?)

Things are trucking along just fine here ... no huge improvements yet on the overall acne front (I have 2 pimples that are coming up, but I think they were already there, incubating, long before I started this regimen, so I just have to ride them out ...) but my overall skin tone and the appearance of my pores continues to improve. The flakiness, or "Ffce dandruff" as I call it, is diminishing.

Dan's BP arrives yesterday, so I'll start using that just because it is unscented and I prefer that.

I am beginning to think that one of the main points in this program is LEAVE YOUR FACE ALONE. It's like we're trying to do as little as possible to our skin, don't manipulate your face and pick at it or wash it too vigorously. Just let it be and with the help of BP, it will take care of itself.

Kristin

I am beginning to think that one of the main points in this program is LEAVE YOUR FACE ALONE. It's like we're trying to do as little as possible to our skin, don't manipulate your face and pick at it or wash it too vigorously. Just let it be and with the help of BP, it will take care of itself.

hear hear!! eusa_clap.gif but that can be hard at times... eusa_wall.gif

Then again, maybe you've already been on bp for a long time and didn't need to start slowly.  In that case, nevermind.

Day 7 !!! One week down !

I skipped writing on the log for a few days, as I had friends in town. That also meant that I wasn't *perfect* with my skin care regimen for the past 2 days, but if anything I didn't do enough - I skipped BP once or twice and I wore make up to a special event. But things are still looking great, and I am back on the regimen 100%.

What I'm noticing so far: the areas to the sides of my nose, the creases next to my nostrils and the nose itself have always been a problem area for me. Not so much with actual pimples, but with generally large and dirty looking pores. They never looked clean, always like there was a blackhead lurking there under the surface. Well, not anymore ! I haven't done any picking or extractions in that area, and the pores look awesome. They are almost invisible. The BP must be doing an amazing job of exfoliating and chasing away dirt, oil, bacteria and general clogginess. I am thrilled !

Also, the rest of my face is *slightly* flaky and peely. Nothing extreme, and nothing even approaching what I have experienced from various peels and microdermabrasion treatments I have tried in the past ... just a nice, low level peel, like after a very slight sunburn, and it seems to be taking away some splotchiness. Is it my imagination that the hyperpigmentation seems to be peeling away ? We'll have to wait and see, because that can take months.

I am still using the lighter weight moisturizer (Philospohy's "Hope in a Jar") and am satisfied with that so far. Anything greasier would be too much, at this point.

But the one last remaining monster zit on my chin is healing up (I have to confess that I did make it worse by picking at it. I know I shouldn't have, but somehow - after a hundred experiences to the contrary - I am still convinced that this will be the ONE time that it actually makes things better. Why do I delude myself ? Oh well, what's done is done and things really seem to be shaping up and clearing up, so hopefully that won't be an issue in the future !

Overall, after a week I am very happy with the program. I have completely ignored all my other (expensive) skin care products, except for eye cream at night. I'm 36, for god's sake, I need something there to help with wrinkles !

I am still not using the actual full amount that Dan shows on the video, because I seem to be getting a good amount of flaking and exfoliating with about 3/4 of a finger length. Once my face adjusts to that amount, I'll up it to a full finger length, possibly by next week.

Kristin lol.gif

September 7th, which I think is Day 8. Things are going GREAT .... I still have what I would call "face dandruff" ... I see litthe tiny flakes on my shirt that look like I have dandruff or something, but it's not from my scalp ! Maybe I need a little more moisturizer or something, but it's really not that big of a deal. My pores look great, they are cleaner by the day, and though I do feel a few bumps still under the skin that I am sure will work their way to the top, overall my skin looks great and it definitely clearer. I am using *almost* all the recommended amount of BP - maybe about 80% of the full amount. I plan to keep this up, because it works better than any of the expensive plans I have tried in the past, and it's a lot cheaper and simpler !

Kristin

Okay, soSeptember 11th - Day 12 - almost 2 weeks. My skin looks GREAT.

Still clearing up by the day, blackheads disappearing, pores shrinking ... the only thing I think I need to change is at night, I may switch to a little heavier moisturizer. I am still flaking off quite a bit of skin during the day, and I don't want to appear shiny then, plus I think it would be good to moisturize a bit more now that things are kicking into high gear. Also, at 36, I am into the whole "anti aging" thing, and the wrinkles on my forehead and next to my eyes do appear a bit more pronounced since starting this BP regimen, so I'll have to be careful of that ... I am not a 22 year old anymore ! I don't see anything in the regimen that forbids using a fancy creamy night cream, right ? I mean, if I want to spend more on a fancy mousturizer, I don't think I read anywhere that it's forbidden.

Overall, VERY happy with my results.

Kristin

September 14th ... still going great. No new breakouts, and the flaking has diminished.

I also started using a heavier "night cream" while I sleep, over the BP, and it's helped with the kind of haggard look I was starting to see in my skin. But I still use the same, lighter moisturizer during the day because I don't want to be shiny. The BP seems to really help with that, too, by the way - I used to always have a shiny forehead a couple of hours into the day, but not anymore when using the BP.

*Very* happy with this program, and I've only been on it 2 weeks ! Can't wait to see what the next 2 weeks hold ... if everything stays the same and keeps looking good, I may not check in until the end of the month. So no news is good news here ...

Kristin

Hi Kristin,

What night cream are you using? I'm back on the regimen after "experimenting" with other things (that didn't work) and at 31, I'd like to try a different night-time moisturizer for my skin.

Good luck to you and keep posting about your results!

Victoria

Victoria - I bought one at "L'Occitaine" that fancy shee-shee French skin care store in the mall. Smells great and it's really creamy. I went in there for the one with shea butter, but the gal talked me into this one instead, it's just a tad little less gooky than that one. I also purchased something from a company called "Ecco Bella" called Night Restoration or Night Rebuilder or something. I like them both and my skin definitely looks softer now, though still totally clear !!

Yes, totally clear ! No breakouts ! I am still using the BP cream once or twice a day, and sticking with Dan's recommendations for washing gently 100%. The only thing I have done to alter the original plan is to add a heavier moisturizer at night, and from my understanding that's still within The Regimen.

Three Weeks and it's working GREAT !!

Good luck to you, to.

Kristin

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm going to stick with the regimen recommendations for a little while longer since I still have a few active spots. But I can't tell you how exciting it is that my skin tone / oiliness has improved and I'm completely clear in spots I always used to break out in!!!

I'm keeping a note of some "special" moisturizers that I'd like to try once I'm clear, so I'll be adding your suggestions to that list. Then I'll have to see what's available around here or order something that I think might work.

Thanks again!

Victoria - I think you have this nailed. That's exactly how I did it - I stuck strictly with what Dan recommended, kept it simple, and once my skin was clear and there were NO NEW BREAKOUTS, which for me was about 3 weeks, I added in these other more adventurous moisturizers. I feel like I am still sticking with the regimen, however, I am just trying some more rich moisturizers than I normally would, and my skin seems to be taking it really well.

I checked again - the one from "L'Occitaine" is called "Immortale Precious Cream" or something like that. It contains an essential oil that grows in the mediterranean. It smells GREAT, too. And the other one is called "Night Rebuilder" and it's all organic, etc. My skin seems to just drink them both up and my face looks soft and dewy when I wake up - a little shiny, but then I wash my face for the day and put on the BP and I have NO shine ! No shine, can you blelieve it ? Amazing. And even when slightly shiny in the morning, my pores still look CLEAN.

Stick with this, just as you are, it really works !!!

Kristin

P.S. I also try to drink a LOT of water. I know Dan doesn't subscribe to the idea that your diet plays a role in acne, and it may not, but lots of water can't really hurt anyone !

Thanks for the encouragement, Kristin! I really appreciate it. This is my second time trying the regimen, but I didn't follow it exactly the first time and I gave up part way through. I don't want to make those mistakes again!

Good tip on the water! I do try but I need to be more consistent.

Please keep writing, when you can, about how things are going. I'm still a little nervous that I might have another break-out before I finally clear for good. I'd love to hear how things work out for you! Congrats on being so clear so soon!!

Take care,

Victoria

Sept 28th - one month in. My skin looks GREAT. Totally clear of breakouts, and the bumpiness that used to exist all around my nose is gone. The skin there is now smooth to the touch (though I try not to touch it unless I absolutely have to - like when applying BP gel) and it does not feel like there are any new breakouts in the works. Usually I am guaranteed some sort of eruption around my period and also mid-month, but I had nothing this month. Very cool.

The spots from old pimples / scars / hyperpigmentation don't appear changed much, but it's only been one month, and I expect to have to wait at least 90 days to see an improvement there. Patience, patience.

I have backed down to using the BP only once a day, at the beginning of my day. It keeps my face from being too shiny and I still get the theraputic benefits of the BP. At night, now, I only wash my face and use my night moisturizer. If I feel that this isn't enough, that I need more BP, I'll go back to twice a day, but I have been doing only once a day for a week now and it feels great.

The skin "dandruff" is also totally gone ... no more flakiness or looking down at my shirt and seeing skin cells scattered there. So I guess this means that my skin has adjusted to the use of BP regularly. I plan to keep it up, to keep my face clear.

If things go well, I will gradually introduce some of my other favorite products back into my weekly regimen - I have a microdermabrasion home kit that I like, and something called an "Oxygen Peel" from Philosophy that I'd like to use regularly as well. But I know that the basic regimen, washing + BP + moisturizer, is what keeps my skin clear and I will always go back to that if I have any problems.

Keep it up ! Hang in there people ! Don't give up !!

Kristin

Update - I am having two small breakouts on my lower jaw & chin area, so I will definitely be going back to the twice a day BP, strictly on the regimen. I was hoping that once a day would be enough, mostly to save me the time that the whole ritual takes befor bed ... wash ... wait 15 minutes, wash hands, apply BP and rub it in ... wait 15 minutes ... wash hands ... moisturize. Etc. I work graveyards and that extra 30 minutes before bed is kind of a drag. But, that's apparently what it's going to take to keep my skin clear. So I will do it !!

Back to twice daily .....

Kristin

Hey Kristin, sorry to hear that you broke out!

I had thought of switching to once a day (I'm about 6 weeks in now) but I'm in a wedding next weekend and then I'm going away on vacation. I don't think I want to chance it just now, as I'm almost clear.

I think you definitely made the right decision. It's a bit of a drag, especially time-wise, but hey, to be clear...

Victoria

Yes, I am definitely back on twice a day again. I fell for the old trap of thinking that since my acne was gone, I was "cured." But I have to remember that there is never any CURE for acne, just effective treatment, and you have to keep treating or it will come back !! So I have to keep up the regimen, and apparently I will stay clear, because I swtched back to 2x day last week and things are already looking up.

So here's my lesson: Keep at it ! Don't slack off !

Yep, I am back on twice a day and it is totally making a difference. And don't I feel stupid - I went back through some parts of the webpage that I hadn't paid enough attention originally - and in the FAQ section, Dan repeats about 20 times that even when your skin is clear, you shouldn't stop using the BP twice ad ay and you must must must keep treating. There is no cure !!!

So people ... listen to Dan. He knows of what he speaks, and he is here to help.

Keep using the BP !! Twice a day ! Just do it !!

Kristin