Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Form A

Struggling at near 20

Hey there. First off this is a pretty useful area of information and I really learned a lot already.

Well I'm almost twenty years old and I for the most part had very mild acne growing up (I mainly got the most amount when I wreslted in high school) but after sports were done it was very manageable. I was using Oxy Clean (BP 10) for the longest of time. I was using it for about 2 years. It wasn't until I turned 19 did I notice the "effectiveness" subsiding and I actually thought my skin was immune to BP, so I switched over to a Tea Tree Oil based facial cleanser we at Trader Joe's carry. That actually was good for me for about a month or so. I combinded it with the Tea Tree Oil for on the spot treatment. I noticed that the effects were wearing down and my skin was getting dried out too fast.

I then decided to give ProActiv a try and needless to say it worked very well for about 3 weeks but my skin then started to get worse. I'll admitt I was guilty of washing my face too often, mainly because we had a very humid summer and I am a very active person. I went through that stage where I started to try a lot of things (Noxzema face wash, St. Ives face wash) and just a few weeks ago I went on vacation and I had the worst acne you could ever imagine. I really thought it was just a bad dream because I never, ever had this bad of a case of acne.

I then started the regimen about 2 weeks ago. I'm using the Cetaphil as my cleanser I use in the shower, followed by Neutragena on the spot BP 2.5%, followed by Cetaphil SP15. My case has gotten better but a few thins really irk me.

First off it's almost impossible ot shave because if I ever rip off a white head it's going to be a mess. It hurts to actually shave. My main problem areas are my entire jaw line, my forehead and the outer ends of my cheek. I have a lot of white heads and as of late, especially during the night or if I work out they bleed.

On the left side right on the jaw line I have this "puffy" patch. It feels swollen but you really can't tell looking at it but I can definitely feel it when I wash my face. I'm very worried as to what this might be. I would say it is about an inch long.

I don't have acne anywhere else on my body. Nothing on my chest, back, neck or anywhere else but my face. I don't wear head gear, I have short hair, I drink Unsweetened Green Tea/Carrot juice and I drink plenty of water. I don't know if it's a myth or not but I've made the change in drinking Organic Milk over regular milk to cut out the additional hormones.

Also while on the regimen, the Cetaphil SP15 is a great moisturizer (soaks in the skin faily fast) but the thing I hate about it is if I even the slightest bit sweat.... my face becomes white and it's very nasty. I know it's a dumb question but is that what to expect using any kind of moisturizer?

It's extremely disappointing this is all happening at a age where I feel I shouldn't be having this kind of problem, or as bad of a case as it is now. I am going to see a dermatologist in a few weeks to see what kind of options are available to me but this really is bringing me down big time.

Guest Marino

Hi,

For the shaving i suggest you start using an elctric one for the time being untill your acne clears.

I know it doesn't shave as clean however its important to not irritate the acne as muchas possible, inparticular to prevent scaring as well.

As for the moisturizer, i have very similar issues with my sunblock in the summer,

theres not really much you can do about it, when you sweet your body literally spills out a lot moisture in your pores.

I've never tried Cetaphil moisturizer, so i wouldn't know to much about it.

Pehaps you could use a little bit less and dry rubbing it in a bit more.

Take care

On the left side right on the jaw line I have this "puffy" patch. It feels swollen but you really can't tell looking at it but I can definitely feel it when I wash my face. I'm very worried as to what this might be. I would say it is about an inch long.