Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spizzy

is moisturizer important?

or necessary?

I switch everyday from bp to differin, from oxy pads to salycilic acid (sp?) pads..... I assume that dries my face up well.... but if my face is already greasy wouldn't moisturizer make it worse? what about for existing acne, can moisturizer help heal the skin or something? thanks.

When you use drying products like oxy or salycilic acid, it actually makes your face more greasy - stick w/ the bp and definitely moisturize. Otherwise, if you're drying your skin out without replenishing the lost moisture, your pores release even more oil to compensate. Eucerin skin renewal works really well but leaves your face a little bit shiny/dewy. Oil of Olay oil free is also really good and not at all greasy.

so you're telling me to stop the pads, cut them down (frequency), or moisturize whilst doing so... ?

edit: since I'm here I'll throw in a question.... I have 3 face cleansers, spectro gel, st imes (sal.acid), and proactive (bp)...

I tend to rotate between the three because that's how I am when my face isn't clear... is there wrong in doing this?

I generally go with the spectro gel, the st imes every 3rd day as well proactive... random...

Guest Marino

Personally, i dont use the moisturzer all to much,

my skin is fairly moist the way it is and i use it maybe once or twice a week.

The moistruzer doesn't infact help the BP fight acne, its more of a comfort thing to people who get drying or a tight effect.

If you feel you dont need it, dont use it.

As long as the BP is applied correctly, it will do all the work.

Take care

overly dry skin can cause more break outs. so moisturize with complex 15 or something oil free and u wont likely have any problems with oily or dry skin.

Stop using all that stuff right away, thats all I can say. I used to do that, when you have a good week you would use one thing, but then Id break out and then immediatly switch to something else that I had and it would go in a viscous circle irritating and overdrying my face. Stop this, read the regimen and follow it religiously no matter what happens for a few months, that what will work, and use a moisturizer, is it really that big of a pain to just use it.

Stop using all that stuff right away, thats all I can say. I used to do that, when you have a good week you would use one thing, but then Id break out and then immediatly switch to something else that I had and it would go in a viscous circle irritating and overdrying my face. Stop this, read the regimen and follow it religiously no matter what happens for a few months, that what will work, and use a moisturizer, is it really that big of a pain to just use it.

1. Stop using all of those products - it's simply a waste. If you're on the proactive regimen, then stick with it and stop messing around or you won't see results. If you're on Dan's regimen, pick a recommended face wash and stick with it. None of the washes you use is recommended. Stay away from putting SA on your face, and since you're going to be using bp, don't wash with a facewash that already contains bp.

2. If your skin is really oily, consider using an astringent or toner during the day.

3. If your skin is really oily, you don't need to moisturize during the summer, or perhaps any other time. Knowing whether or not you need moisturizer is something that you will be able to tell by yourself. Stick with a good wash and bp for a few days without using moisturizer if your face is oily. If you feel that your face is getting red and tight, then use a light, oil free, non-comedogenic moisturizer to combat that.

I don't moisturize as much as I used to. When you start out your skin needs it or else it'll peel off your face and looks nasty. I only use it as needed, like the bottle says. cool.gif