Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

will accutane clear acne forever?............ once you have completed your course, will the zcne never come back?, is it a permanent solutoin?

Its aim is to last, however, as with all medications, it sometimes doesn't work to its fullest potential. Most patients (I think it's about 80% from memory) experience a permanent effect from the drug.

Guest Marino

Hi,

Acutane has a supposed permanent success rate of 90 something percent.

Though, in reality i think its half of that with regards to "permanent" clarity.

Its still in my opinion, the most effective and powerful drug on the market for acne to date,

plus there is a good chance of permanent results.

There are freak instances when it doesn't do anything at all, however the majority of people respond to a good degree, just not always permanently.

If your thinking about tane, i strongly suggest you research the side affects of the drug and talk to your family and most importantly your derm about it.

Its best to keep on the safe side considering the side affects are real.

Best of luck to you, i hope you make the right decision.

Hi, I finished Accutane 2 moths ago and it's cleared all my cystic acne up just alot of red marks left over. I noticed a little white head which was tiny but hopefully it won't develope into anything. Accutane is great I would say ask your derm to be put on it although it does have it's side effects research on net first. For me I'd rather have the side effects than cystic acne.

goodluck

Liam

After finally taking accutane last april(ish) (40mg a day for 5 months). I've been very clear for a year now. I'll occassionally get a pimple (non cystic), especially if I drink a fair bit of alcohol and no water for awhile or don't wash my face once a day. But they disappear in a day or two. I've been using Brevoxyl 4% for the past several months to curtail any excess oil and I then use the old stand-by Cetaphil moisturizer w/spf. That's done once a day in the morning and I'm good to go. It varies for everyone, and my case wasn't especially bad. I had a large cyst perpetually. One would go away and another come up. They'd last for two-weeks and often would come up in the same places. In high school I had nasty acne (non cystic) for about a month but minocycline/differin kept me clear for a few years. Once that stopped working it was a matter of trying doxycycline and a clear liquid treatment on my face ( I forget the name) and then I moved onto Accutane. It worked much better than the years of creams and pills (though for quite some time they kept me clear). Best of luck...

Accutane has a 65% success rate for permanent remission on a first course according to the info me derm gave me. I have read that accutane just prevents acne long enough for you to grow out of it. I don't know the validity of that second point though.

Thank you for all your replys.

It is something worth considering, i just dont want to take it tho and put myself through the risks, only for it to possibly return. As i htink mine is hormonal.

I will continue first i think with the ressst of my anti biotics and go from there.....

Thanks again

the numbers vary widely based on who you talk to...i've heard permanent initial remission rates as high as 85% and as low as 40%...its usually based on each derm's experience with it. I've heard the theory that it kills the acne long enough for you to grow out of it. That's pretty much been debunked since there is no such thing as growing out of acne. For the people that are in their early 20s and take accutane it might certainly seem that they've grown out of it after taking accutane...but its really a saying that's seen prolonged usage thanks to parents telling their kids that...There really are too many variables with accutane to effectively evaluate its long term effect on a general basis...some believe that high dose/short term has longer lasting effects than low dose/long term...there's also a theory that if your acne is much worse going in that you'll see better results than someone with mild acne...i really don't believe that one since i was very mild beforehand and am still clear...you might very well be cleared forever...but you might also need a second course...or somewhere in between (perhaps a mild face wash like brevoxyl to keep you clear)...just take it as directed and keep an eye on your diet and water intake...best of luck...

I had to take Accutane 3 separate times, because it kept coming back.I just finished my third course, so hopefully no acne will come back.The thing is, Accutane isnt a permanent solution.It really depends on the dosage youre taking and your own body.For some people who finish taking Accutane, the acne doesnt come back for awhile.Some are even cleared for life.Going on Accutane usually yield amazing results.Thats all I can say.

Croftynsteph said: "That's pretty much been debunked since there is no such thing as growing out of acne. "

Hmm. Most people do grow out of acne, of course. Maybe that's not what you meant?

i have about 20 days of tane left. should i start using retin-a micro? i remember someone saying that would destroy whatever is left of my oil glands??

~Amy

im not sure if it 'destroys' them. but i remember that retin-a kind of 'kicks 'em while they're down' so they wont start up producing oil again.

~Amy

yeah..the whole growing out of acne thing is a semi-myth...I was probably too general...while many people stop getting acne when they hit a certain age...there are many many people that have it into their 40s etc...I'd hardly consider that growing out of acne...if one were to grow out of acne its usually associated with your 20s and the decline in oil production...so while that may hold true for most people...it isn't a common theory among any of the dermatological people I've come to associate myself with over my years of schooling...only b/c one cannot assume anything like that will happen...so it has no bearing on treatment...but I suppose each person draws their own conclusion based on case experiences...best of luck...