Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JustJuice

Victor's Accutane Journal!!!!!

ok i got my prescription for ROACCUTANE just now..I was supposed to get it on Thursday but i was eager and called my pharmacist to see if my bloodtest has returned an OK or not. So yeah, she said my prescription was ready!

I had to wait for half an hour at the office because I wanted to go generic but in the prescription, the doctor wrote for ROACCUTANE..Anyway, i got oratane and it still costed me a shit load $150!!! doubt.gif But whatever that can clear my face. I can't imagine if the doctor decides to up my dosage!

Anyway, at the pharmacy, the pharmacist said he'll print a copy of the information regarding this drug and I said, i've done tonnes of research for this drug, so don't worry. and he said "so you forced your doctor to prescribe it for you" lol.gifninja.gif

Anyway, my dosage is 40mg perday for 2 months before my supply runs out and i have to see my derm 2 months later. Not sure how long i'll be taking it but he said roughly around 7 months. At the pharmacy i purchased QV's gentle cleansing stuff and SPF25 QV moisturizer, got vaseline ready and forgot to purchase a eye drop eusa_doh.gif

Anyway i'm going to pop my first pill after dinner tonight.

Guest Marino

Best of luck champ,

i know 150 bucks is steep, but trust me, IT WILL BE WORTH IT!

And LOL at forcing your doctor to prescribe it for you lol.gif

It sounds like you pretty well prepared for the side affects,

personally i also recomend you get a good sun block [you become super sensitive when on tane],

a chinese lip balm for your lips when you go out [not as effective as vaseline though it does a good job and doesn't make you look like you have anything on your lips].

Other than that, just remember to take your pill without fail, maybe you should put an alarm on your cell phone or something.

Wishing you the best of luck and hope everything turns out great!

Hi marino, wassup

Thanks for your reply. You done with your roaccutane? How was it? I'm in Melbourne!! After 1 month of minocycline and Stieva-A, my skin looks like shit. Basically the tones are uneven, very very oily, sun damaged, pores are huge.....Does accutane minimize pore appearance? To think that i will have clear skin by Christmas, makes me wanna make plans for Xmas n New year.

Guest Marino

Hey no problem,

Actually i've never been on Tane, i just know alot of people who have and been reading it up on the boards for a while, i was thinking about it not to long ago, so i know a fair bit about it..

Pretty much long story short, i started off using topical and oral antibtiocs for my acne in yea 7-10. Everytime i came of them the acne would return, then i decided to never come of them only to have my body become immune and not clear.

So i swtiched to Isotrex [topical retinoid; similar to Stieva-A i think], which has cleared me up really good. As for the red marks left over, I've come off my topical for a while to get TCA checmial peels, had my first one today and can see good results coming already.

There really good for complexion, red marks, pores but sadly they do little for blackheads.

Just keep at it mate, dont worry about what your skin looks like now, just look at the big picture, once Tane fucks over the acne we can work on the marks and complexion left over, trust me. As for your pores, Tane will shrink them because of the affect it has on the sebaceous glands, it wont get rid of them but it will reduce there apperance. After tane you should start steaming and exfloiating to keep the pores at bay.

LOL, your from melbounr.... thats totally grouse man lol.gif

I didn't have a clue wtf grouse was when i went to melbourne, i thought they swearing at me or something.

Got heaps of family in doncaster, might go down in christmas. As for being clear by then, i think i would say yes.

If you follow taking your pill religously and dont fuck around with your skin like touching it and scrubing it, you'll should be clear by christams, however keep taking tane after your clear, right up untill your course is over, otherwise you might not have as long lasting affects as you potentially could.

Take care

I'm curious about the chemical peels, have been considered getting one myself. What's it like? Does it hurt? Does it leave your face red? Can you do them while you're on Accutane? Are they expensive? Could they be covered by insurance?

Guest Marino

I'm curious about the chemical peels,

No problem, i'll answer them as best i can.

have been considered getting one myself.

First you have to look at what you:

-Want to correct

-What your currently using [acutane ect]

-What area it is [face, back ect]

-Learn of the sideaffects

-Whats your skin type [fair, taned, dark]

What's it like?

Pretty much like having a clear solution pasted and dabed onto your face.

I had one today, he just got a sponge type thing and kept dabing and rubbing it on my face for like 10 minutes.

Then he put on ice pack on 5 and off i was.

Does it hurt?

Depending on the type of peel and percentage, this one stung like a motherfucker. It was TCA at 30 percent. Glycolics on there own apparently dont hurt, i wouldn't know because i would have microdermabrasion then have a peel ontop, so it did hurt ALOT more for me.

Does it leave your face red?

Depends on the percentage and type of peel.

My first micro+glycolic left me a little bit red at first, with very minor scabs developing.

The second one i had two weeks later made my WHOLE face red and i scabed up alot.

The TCA i had to frosted my face [looks as if i painted it white] and then became very red right upuntill an hour ago.

Now it faded considerably which is wierd, coz usually the bright/orangy/brown/redness lasted 3 days with my 2nd-6th micro+glycolic treatment.

I'm now a little bit red with some brown forming which will mostly scab up.

I think this is because the skin is thick on the first treatment, and the second is able to penetrate deep, my second TCA will probably scab me up alot, though the results will be much better.

Can you do them while you're on Accutane?

No, i stronlgy dont recomend it.

I dont evan think a practioner would allow it, because of the increased chances of scaring.

Dont do it, wait at least 6 months after tane for your own good.

Are they expensive?

Depends where you do it, this TCA full face cost me 200 bucks,

a glycolic and micro treatment cost me about 125 each.

You can save a lot of money if you buy it and do it yourself, however i strongly recomend you have a profesionaly do it first then do it yourself and mimic them exactly.

Could they be covered by insurance?

Not usually, but some have been known to be covered, it has to be a strong peel [like exoderm] and be for sevre scaring.

If you have any more questions post em up and i'll be happy to answer them.

Day 2 of Oratane

I can feel the initial breaking is DEFINITELY starting. My face's texture is full of bumps, blackheads surfacing, kinda like when I started Stieva-A (Retin-A)... I felt like shit today, sneezing, coughing, light headed, sore throat, which i'm sure is not a side effect of accutane because I was already sick yesterday.

I woke up today with a blood scab on my lip. Don't know if it's an effect of accutane or not but I've never had it!

And on another note, I work in a fast food chain, and suddenly my colleague told me "you're bleeding" OMFG, I looked at the mirror and one of my cyst oozed blood out...wtf? eusa_wall.gif I never had that before! I just ran to the bathroom and dab it with a tissue, didn't want to squeeze it or anything..

Anyway, I'm not exaggerating but that's a lot for 1 day of accutane..

Guest Marino
Day 2 of Oratane

I can feel the initial breaking is DEFINITELY starting. My face's texture is full of bumps, blackheads surfacing, kinda like when I started Stieva-A (Retin-A)... I felt like shit today, sneezing, coughing, light headed, sore throat, which i'm sure is not a side effect of accutane because I was already sick yesterday.

I woke up today with a blood scab on my lip. Don't know if it's an effect of accutane or not but I've never had it!

And on another note, I work in a fast food chain, and suddenly my colleague told me "you're bleeding" OMFG, I looked at the mirror and one of my cyst oozed blood out...wtf?  eusa_wall.gif I never had that before! I just ran to the bathroom and dab it with a tissue, didn't want to squeeze it or anything..

Anyway, I'm not exaggerating but that's a lot for 1 day of accutane..

My breakout started right away as well. It didn't last too long, but I also got an oral antibiotic and cortisone shots about a week into the accutane. Be warned tho, the zits pumped with cortisone are way slower to heal fully and often breakout again.

im startin my roaccutane in about 6 days > proper nervous > living in london, uk. I agree with marino i feel it is very important not to touch or scrub your face as this greatly affects the spread of acne. Try only to touch with clean hands.

Anyway good luck and il be following your journal.

mark antony

You paid $150 for a box of Roaccutane in Melbourne, Australia? I thought Roaccutane was covered by the Australian Government, but that was 5 years ago when I took it. It was only $4.50 for the box of 40-60 capsules/tablets (can't remember). Also did you get the prescription from a dermatologist or regular GP? I'm in Canberra by the way.

Anyway, I had two six month courses of this stuff, 6 months apart since my acne started coming back. My face was initially bad, but then became super clear, just like when I was a kid. My skin and lips were dry so I put moisutureizer and lip balm sometimes (too lazy). After my second course my pores were smaller, I still got pimples, but not the huge red cysts. After 1 year of regular pimples, I finally found this site and the BP gel has worked great for me over the past 4 months.

Good luck with the Roaccutane, and remember not to touch or squeeze too much or at all as you'll have great looking skin, albeit a bit dry biggrin.gif

thank you guys for all your support.....I'm not an Australian citizen, therefore i'm not eligible for Medicare sad.gif Kinda sucks because I live here for 6 years now and I felt more at home here compared to my place of birth. eusa_wall.gif

I'm a very bad tempered guy, and i don't know if accutane aggravated it or not.. I brought my dog for a spin around in my car and he pooped in my car....Needless to say i beat him mercilessly ninja.gif Not animal abuse but i truly love him....just a spontaneous 'lost temper' thing

Guest Marino

Hey i'm not an Australian citizen yet either,

you got permanent residence or on somekind of temp study/work visa?

That was partly the reason why i didn't go on tane, it was mostly the money.

Anyway, tane does get on your nerves, you do become an emotionally unstable once the side affects kick in.

Dont feel bad, i'm sure you didn't mean it.

Take care

Guest Marino

LOL, i thought you had really bad skin since you were going on tane.

Thats moderate at best, did you try topicals before going on tane?

Like retinoids/BP?

Hey i'm not an Australian citizen yet either,

you got permanent residence or on somekind of temp study/work visa?

That was partly the reason why i didn't go on tane, it was mostly the money.

Anyway, tane does get on your nerves, you do become an emotionally unstable once the side affects kick in.

Dont feel bad, i'm sure you didn't mean it.

Take care

Like retinoids/BP?

Guest Marino

I'm on permanent, but i'm going to get citizenship soon.

I dont have to bother with that gay points system coz my dad was born here and my mom has citizenship, so they can sponsor me.

Anyway, my topical retinoid; Isotrex is topical acutane.

It worked for me, but everyones different.

And i know what you mean balancing class/work/gym and organising money to fund our skin regime.

I have to buy a tube of BP everyweek for my bacne as well as cortisone cream for my excema on my arms.

Also i gota rebuy isotrex everymonth, not to mention the money i blow on face wash, scrubs, masks, exfoliaters and all that other shit.

But i'm glad its worth it.

Anyway, I had two six month courses of this stuff, 6 months apart since my acne started coming back. My face was initially bad, but then became super clear, just like when I was a kid. My skin and lips were dry so I put moisutureizer and lip balm sometimes (too lazy). After my second course my pores were smaller, I still got pimples, but not the huge red cysts. After 1 year of regular pimples, I finally found this site and the BP gel has worked great for me over the past 4 months.

Guest Marino

Like retinoids/BP?

eek...my skin is really bad, sometimes when i'm driving i look at the mirror i would get depressed INSTANTLY. I used BP and i think it aggravated my skin, making it sensitive and photosensitive, i didnt have that many dark spots! followed dan's regime, slapped on a bunch of BP, I used Stieva-A which is a kind of retinoid, something like retin-a and ppl commented I was so tanned, wtf i never even stepped out into the sun. And i think stieva is making my face sooo damn oily....

Day 3

I have tonnes of black heads surfacing on my face, I could just scratch at them and they'll fall off. It's scary to think that the medicine is reacting so fast! Also, i have several breakouts coming out....I had 2 whiteheads around my lips yesterday night i checked, one of them has already 'exploded' and dried off, but they don't look so horrible. If that's the initial breakout everyone's talking about, I can take them ANYDAY, just don't give me freakin cysts that last for months!! eusa_pray.gif

However, I think there are major breakouts coming because as I washed my face I could feel a bump that slightly hurts underneath the skin.. cry.gif

Side effect is bearable for now, I woke up in the middle of the night and eyes felt dry. Blinked a few times and it became fine. Since i'm having a super flu, I blew my nose in the toilet paper and there were blood in my booger rolleyes.gif very gross.

I just realised that my cleanser contains Sodium laurate Sulphate..>Wtf it says dermatologically tested, yadayayada and is regarded as the same gentle family as cetaphil.. I hope it doesn't cause me to breakout or something.

Guest Marino

Yea, sounds the inital breakout kicking in, sometimes it takes weeks to start, sometimes within the first few pills.

Anyway, as for you cleanser, take this time to find something that suits you.

When ever i was on a new product that would irritate my skin, the first thing i'd do is buy the cheapest no frillls cleansers, because there piss weak and very gentle on the skin.

Try buying small ones every week or so, till you find the right one.

By the way, hows the body acne going?

do you have much or not really?

Guest Marino
this is a puppy picture of my dog..

he's nearly 1 now and recently just got shaved all over! So not as cute! lol