Find results in...
Shogo

Four-Step-Cure for acne using over the counter medications

Reinforces my new found "cure" as well. You need to exfoliate! That's

a necessary ingredient in any topical anti-acne program. So the

salicylic acid and glycolic acids do that real well. I personally use

eucalyptus oil and tea tree oil to exfoliate. The eucalyptus oil kills

demodex mites, rumored to cause acne and rosacea. The tea tree oil

kills acne bacteria. So that's why I think it's better than salicylic acid.

But then I leave the oils on overnight, and it does make my face bright

red at night. 10 minutes of salicylic acid might be less harsh. I also use

differin cream at night, and differin is also an exfoliant, though a weak

one. I also use Carley's anti-acne scrub in the morning, which has

benzoyl peroxide in it. Carley's physically and chemically exfoliates as

well as killing acne bacteria.

Steve

yes this makes a lot of sense, although it's pretty common knowledge for those who really look into the causes of acne. the way i look at it, there's three things you have to do.

1) get rid of excess oil buildup

2) get rid of dead skin cells

3) kill the p. acnes bacteria

unfortunately, although it seems elementary.. it's never that easy because most times one (or more) of the methods that you use to do the above fails. every persons skin is different.. so for one person, their problem may be the bacteria growing, whereas another person it might be that these dead skin cells are not shedding properly. you can never really tell, so it's either necessary to experiment with trial and error, or make sure you're doing all 3. personally, i think knocking out all three is the way to go. only problem is that doing one can exacerbate the other.. what i mean by that is maybe if you're using too much benzoyl peroxide, it may frying skin cells and causing a buildup of dead skin, furthering the problem.

personally, i think the most important two things you can do that i have found to be extremely effective is that you should make sure you're knocking out all three problem areas, and do it TWICE A DAY. i could never get my skin clear because i was only washing my face once a day. it's a pain in the butt to make sure i do it twice daily (sometimes i'm too tired and all i want to do is get in bed).. but i have found that is the single most important thing to do and i never miss a washing unless my willpower really breaks down..

:-s ok..............but what's w/ all the ice? I've NEVER heard of cold "opening" pores.....hmmmm....... :D

whaddya wanna bet Miss Heather Paige etc. had like 3 tiny whiteheads?

Well, if I wasn't satified w/ Dan's Plan, I'd say it's worth a crack.

I'd be very interested to hear a board member's experience with it.

Anyone? anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

There was a post on alt.skincare.acne about this article and the ice topic.

Apparently the Dr. in the article said that the ice is sometimes necessary in

order to reduce inflammation. Normally, ice would close pores. But when

the pore has been inflamed with acne, it is already closed and need to

be opened. And the only way you can do that is to use ice. That would

have the effect of opening the pore just enough to let the benzoyl peroxide

in to do its job.

Steve

Quote:

Step 1 SALICYLIC ACID. (Morning and night) Clean away excess dead cells and bacteria from the skin's surface, without over-drying it. The best ingredient to wash your face with is a 2 percent salicylic acid product (widely available in drugstores). Put a penny-size amount in the palm of your hand, add a few drops of warm water, lather, and massage (in circular motion) to affected areas. Let the SA sit for a few minutes, then gently wash off with warm water. The SA has two benefits: an anti-inflammatory, and an antioxidant for the skin's surface.

Step 2 GLYCOLIC ACID. (Only in the morning) After you've rinsed away the SA product, apply 8-10 percent glycolic acid product, in an identical manner. Let it sit and wash it off with warm water. The benefits of GA: digs deeper down (while the SA cleans the surface) to loosen "cemented-in" plugs.

Step 3 BENZOYL PEROXIDE (Only at night) Wash off SA and run an ice cube over the affected areas, to cool and soothe (be careful not to freeze the skin!) Apply the BP (kept cold in refrigerator), but run ice cube across palm of hand, so product doesn't warm up when you rub and apply to face (in identical manner as the SA and the GA). Leave the BP on for 10 minutes, and lie down with ice packs on the affected areas (opens pores, reduces inflammation, relaxes you). When you're through, wipe off excess BP with a soft cloth. Allow the rest to sit overnight.

Step 4 MOISTURIZER (Morning and throughout the day) Apply an oil-free moisturizer to the face with an SPF of at least 15. Sun reduces the skin's resistance to bacterial attack.

Yes I agree with this method to an extent! Read on please!

Step One

However do not use a medicated cleanser. If you do you will find out for yourself over time. The reasons are simple.

Reason 1.) Do not use a medicated cleanser. Why you may ask? The active ingredient, which is most always Salicylic Acid, rinses right off of your skin in a matter of 40 seconds to 1 minute. Since the cleanser is washed away the active ingredient does not have a chance to do what it does.

Reason 2.) Also a medicated cleanser will quickly dry out the skin.

Salicylic Acid commonly known as a BHA is a great thing for acne prone skin. BHA's absorb the oil in the pore itself and they exfoliate lightly inside the pore to get rid of the clogged bacteria. Apply a BHA in the morning or you can use it morning and night.

Step Two

Glycolic acid is an AHA or (Alpha-Hydroxy Acid). AHA's include are naturally found in fruit and in milk. Examples:: Glycolic, Lactic, Malic, Tartric, and Citric acids. What a AHA does to the skin is that it dissolves the intercellular glue that sticks to dead skin cells and it encourages the natural shedding of dead skin cells. AHA's over a period of time (at the least 2-3 months) can give your skin a more youthfull appearance, improve the texture and color of your skin, and it can give your skin a "Glowly" appearance. This is because AHA's boost the moisture retention of your skin. Use AHA's at night, not in the morning since they take the top layers of the dead skin cells off your skin and encourage new cells to appear, the sunlight can cause your skin to be more sensitive then it already is.

Step Three

Quote:

(Only at night) Wash off SA and run an ice cube over the affected areas, to cool and soothe (be careful not to freeze the skin!) Apply the BP (kept cold in refrigerator), but run ice cube across palm of hand, so product doesn't warm up when you rub and apply to face (in identical manner as the SA and the GA). Leave the BP on for 10 minutes, and lie down with ice packs on the affected areas (opens pores, reduces inflammation, relaxes you). When you're through, wipe off excess BP with a soft cloth. Allow the rest to sit overnight.

I have never heard anything so before! At best my adivce is to not try this. The ice cube method is OK once in a while but not for every single pimple you have and esp not on the whole face. Usually people use the ice cube method to clam down the redness in the pimple that is already visible to the eye or to sooth the pain for a pimple thats going to come to the skin's surface soon. And you don't rinse off the BHA (SA) because it needs to do its job! Read my note above on BHA's in step one. You also never put on BP and then take it off either! BP is best used in concentrations of 2.5% the others 5-10% are just crap and will definitly(sp?) dry and irritate the skin which causes more acne to occur. We don't want that do we? LOL. Try Neutrogena's On The Spot acne treatment cream (2.5%) found in drugstores or use Paulas Choice Blemish Fighting Solution (2.5%). PC products are found at http://www.paulaschoice.com. I use PC products and for the last 3 days my skin is looking its best ever and her Blemish Fighting Solution is the best BP i've found. Paulas Choice BP is gentler, not as white, not as thick, and does not dry as fast on the skin when it touches the skin as Neutrogena's On The Spot acne treatments does. This is good because a person needs to beable to spread it on evenly onto the skin.

Step Four

Moisturizer is also a key in ANY skin care regimen- acne or not!

Quote:

(Morning and throughout the day) Apply an oil-free moisturizer to the face with an SPF of at least 15. Sun reduces the skin's resistance to bacterial attack.

If it is a good moisturizer you won't have to reapply it during the day.

I really hope I helped! :D If you need recommendations on cleansers, moisturizers, treatments, or such please don't hesitate to email me at [email protected]