Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
30nstillzits

Anyone using Alpha Lipoic Acid as a supplement?

was browsing the internet and came across research on Alpha Lipoic Acid and how it may help acne...just started taking 200 mg three days ago and am starting to clear.

At the same time I started taking:

4 x acidophilus and probiotic complex (2 morning and 2 before bed)

2 x 500 mg garlic oil capsules

along with my daily high potency multi (which I have taken for years-doesn't really do anything for my acne)

1 tablespoon of organic flax seed oil

Here is the rest of my current homeopathic regimine, will keep you updated on my progress..

also started (today) to "wash" face with a homemade oil concoction instead of my usual castille soap. I rub oil into face and all my makeup melts off, wipe off with a warm moist washcloth and skin is smoother and clearing rapidly! I did this last night and this morning so far and have seen a vast improvement thus far.

Homemade Oil:

mostly jojoba oil (about an ounce and a half)

2 dashes of Vita E oil-- in soybean and coconut oil (Trader Joe's brand)

20 drops green tea extract

10 drops tea tree oil

20 drops lavender oil

I have been dealing with persistant mild-moderate acne for 15 years, just turned 30 and am determined to get rid of this!

eusa_angel.gif I just started taking that too, also I started taking 1 green tea extract pill everyday.

I hope to see some results! In doctor perricone's book, "acne free" he says something about lipioc acid being good to take for acne.

Lets pray!! eusa_pray.gif

ok glad to know that someone else is trying it too. I will add some green tea extract to my lemon water (just started that today too), thanks for the info...

I might try it too next month for health maintenance. I just bought Super Antioxidants, Derm-vits, Omega 3-6-9 from NOW Foods. ALA will be next on my list. smile.gif

I also take 200 mg of alpha lipoic acid a day along with n-acetyl cystine. Taken together they are supposed to help produce glutathione which fights free radicals and is a super antioxidant.

I starting taking ALA but make sure it comes from a whole food(s). Your body isn't missing ALA made in a lab, it's missing the extract they take from potatoes. Good luck hope it helps.

thanks for the info guys...

hey alpacino...do you know what foods contain ALA? I did a search and it seemed to me that only trace amounts are in red meat and spinach, not enoungh to do any good. I would rather get it from food but not sure if there is a food with enough in it...

I haven't had any stomach upsets since I have been taking 200 mg. I doubt 300 would harm you, I would try it.

M D....I am very cautious about vitamins that don't come abundantly in whole foods such a ALA. It seems from my research that only very small amounts are found in red meats and spinach, but not enough to do you any good. This suggests to me that we don't need mega doses of it in the first place to aid in general health.

ok have been doing some more research on ALA here is what I have found:

Can't get enough ALA from food, must supplement with it.

It is readily absorbed, metabolized and excreated so is best to break up the dosage throughout the day for maximum effectiveness.

Can go as high as 600 mg a day without harming your body, but I think the highest I will go is 3 x 100 mg a day.

Hope this helps everyone...

ok i just took one of my 300mg capsules and it does upset my stomache a bit.. so i dont reccomend taking any more than 200.. i think i might buy some new ones in a bit with only 100mg.

Hey guys, ALA inhibits the activation of NfkB which supresses the inflammation response within a cell. Which basically means it reduces inflammation which is considered by some acne researchers as the hallmark of acne. ALA also controls AP-1 which is activated when a cell is under oxidative stress. AP-1 digest only damaged collagen. So we know scars are made up of damaged collagen so research suggests that ALA can reverse scar tissue damage. 30nstillzits, it's hard to find whole food ALA but try going to a health food store. Mine is in my multi. Which is called more than a multi. You really should not take more than 200 or 300mg per day. ALA also recycles many vitamins and minerals in the body. I think it is very safe and even Dr. Mercola recommends it, who by the way recommends very few supplements if any in ones diet. Good luck everyone and I hope this helped.

wow i was doing some reading on ala and it seems to have a lot of benefits.. i knew it was a good supplement but im definently going to make it one of my top priority supplements now.

Sounds like you are a very informed person alpacino. Thanks for the great info for everyone.

I have to question the not more than 300 mg a day though. Where did you see this research? Everything I have read says it is very safe up to 600 mg, although I am not planning on taking more than 200 mg a day.

Also where did you find the info on ALA being extracted from potatoes? I can't find anything about it being in potatoes...

^ i think its just his opinion on not more than 300mg should be taken... everything i have read has said that 600mg has shown no effects other than upset stomache.. and in the rare case itching skin or something.

hey 30nstillzits, you should take 100mg 3 times a day because it has been shown to the human body can only absorb so much ALA. Since ALA is very fat soluable you should watch od'n on it. From my research on ALA (and I'm not a Dr) I feel 300mg is all the body needs and can use in a day according to Dr. Perricone and Dr. Mercola. Dr.perricone recommends 50 to 100mg. In my opinion I really don't think it's healthy to od on any vitamin esp. fat soluable ones. But if you have no adverse reactions and want to take 600mg divide it up into 3 doses (200mg) I think it would be fine. It's 400 times stronger then vitamins A and C and it also raises these vitamins in the body. Make sure you take it on a full stomach so you can increase how much the body can absorb. I would recommend this to any with acne and I feel it is one of the best supplements a person can take with or without acne. Good luck and I hope this helped.

thanks for the info.. i have 300mg capsules .. i took them on an empty stomache and my stomache got kinda upset.. next time ill take it on a full stomache.. do you think it would be okay to take after working out? to fight off the antioxidants from working out.

Hey Supercelebs, you should probably take them before working out to prevent free radical damage. Thats what several doctors have said in my research and reading. 300mg is fine, maybe try to break the tablets up or just next time buy ALA in 100mg or 200mg.You might want to take vitamin C or ester C (fat soluable form) too inhance ALA ability. Make sure you our also getting a complete spectrum of vitamins and minerals, like all the B vitamins esp. biotin, B6 and B12. ALA preformance has been shown to be inhanced with taking a mulit vitamin. make sure it's a whole food supplement and trust me it makes a difference not just for acne but your overall health. Like I said your body isn't lacking supplements made in a lab but from foods you aren't eating. Hope this answered your question and if it didn't just reply back. Good luck and god bless.

I read ALA comes from potatoes in the acne prescription by Dr. Perricone.