Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bijou

SMOKING & CYSTIC ACNE

Ok, I know everyone's chemistry is different. But i thought i would share with you all that smoking cigarettes is like cause and effect for me for giant painful cystic acne in my chin and cheek area.

i would usually smoke about 1 or 2 secret cigarettes a day since I was about 17 (im 25 now)... sometimes none. I had flawless porcelain skin until I started dating this chain smoker... and I started smoking like 10 or 15 a day. Thats when my whole acne problem started, but i attributed it to weird mid 20s hormonal changes or some other mysterious adult acne cause.

i started to suspect that it might have been the smoking when i visited home for 2 weeks and went back to smoking like 1 cigarette or none at all while i was there... and i didnt get any new zits.

I got so stressed out and paranoid and depressed about what acne was doing to my skin, that some time this past April i went totally clean and quit completely. ALl my friends gave me a hard time and i missed it and gained 5 pounds from snacking, but i could tell immediately that it was going to be worth it.

2 or 3 weeks later, my skin was completely zit free. All this after being plagued by a minimum of 3 full blown cysts at a time for about 6 months straight before i realized that it was those goddamn cigarettes causing my pain all along. less than months later sometime in June, ALL of the red marks had finally gone.... and though i have some scars now... it looks pretty damn good.

THEN I SCREWED IT ALL UP.

Well... last week i started smoking again. just one or 2 a day. And nothing happened. ok.... so maybe ill smoke 3. Ok its been a really fucking rough day and all i want is a fucking cigarette. Before i knew it, last week some days i was smoking 10 cigarettes a day. NOW I HAVE 2 HUGE CYSTS!! one on my chin, the other right below the right corner of my mouth. OUCH!!! and my skin has been completely, and i mean COMPLETELY zit free since MAY!!!!

Now im like feeling around my cheeks and stuff for more cysts about to be born... paranoid and hallucinating that my worst nightmare has been re-awakened. I didnt smoke a thing for the past 2 days. I sincerely hope there is no lag time in their development and there are still more to be born.

I WILL NEVER SMOKE ANOTHER CIGARETTE EVER AGAIN. as cool as smoking is, and as much fun as it is, and as horribly as i will miss it. sad.gif

-Bijou

I have found this correlation that i believe you are very stressed out when you smoke which may lead to break outs, so if u stopped smoking in the run i guess you will have better skin!

cry.gif I have had the EXACT same experience! I smoked maybe 6 this weekend while I was out and now I have a damn lump forming next to my mouth. As long as I don't smoke I stay pretty much clear but within 2 days of smoking too much....... I guess it's a good thing.. quitting, but I love my social smokes. sad.gif

cry.gif  I have had the EXACT same experience! I smoked maybe 6 this weekend while I was out and now I have a damn lump forming next to my mouth.  As long as I don't smoke I stay pretty much clear but within 2 days of smoking too much.......  I guess it's a good thing.. quitting, but I love my social smokes. sad.gif

smoking lessens your body's vitamin c content. vitamin c prevents inflammation. skin INFLAMMATION CAN CAUSE acne. it can also give you HIGHER RISK OF SCARRING because vitamin c promotes collagen production.

usually if u opt 2 have a scarring treatment procedure the doctor asks u if you are an active smoker or not so that they can evalutate if u r a good candidate or not or to tell u what 2 expect and not keep ur hopes high.

SMOKERS ARE THE POOREST SCAR HEALERS

don't think that taking vit. c will get u where u started. it TAKES YEARS for it to rebuild the mess. AND IT DEPENDS ON WHAT KIND OF vit c u r taking and where it comes from. take lots of ORGANIC lemons and grapefruits. pienapples too

smoking lessens your body's vitamin c content. vitamin c prevents inflammation. skin INFLAMMATION CAN CAUSE acne. it can also give you HIGHER RISK OF SCARRING because vitamin c promotes collagen production.

usually if u opt 2 have a scarring treatment procedure the doctor asks u if you are an active smoker or not so that they can evalutate if u r a good candidate or not or to tell u what 2 expect and not keep ur hopes high.

SMOKERS ARE THE POOREST SCAR HEALERS

don't think that taking vit. c will get u where u started. it TAKES YEARS for it to rebuild the mess. AND IT DEPENDS ON WHAT KIND OF vit c u r taking and where it comes from. take lots of ORGANIC lemons and grapefruits. pienapples too

let me just say that smoking totally causes my acne....i didnt realize it....but my skin totally clears up when i stop and i smoke 5 cigs the other day bc i went out and got a pimple...it causes me to break out on jaw line...

Guest Marino

I cant believe there hasn't been any formal scientific studies into this.

Just imagine how many people would stop smoking if they made proved smoking can worsen acne.

The tabacoo companies would loose millions, if not billions.