Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
UK_Guy

Only had initial bloodtest, shouldn't I have more?

Hi - I've been on Roaccutane (currently 40mg/day) for about 10 weeks now, I had an initial blood test, but have had no follow-ups, nor do I think any are scheduled - should I be concerned? Should I ask for one?

I only had a blood test when I first started roaccutane (I'm in the UK too). I asked the derm about it, and he said that they do extra blood tests depending on your 'starting levels' - as mine were well below average to begin, and I didn't suffer any 'unusual symptoms' (whatever they are!) there was no need for a follow up test. He said the higher your start levels, the more frequently they test - up to once every two weeks if needed. I can't remember what does I was on, but I was reviewed at 10 weeks (half way through my 19 week course) to check that things were OK.

Hope that helps - but I'd definitely ring and ask about it if you are concerned. It should be possible to speak to the derm even without an appointment.