Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Yesac

Seborrheic dermatitis

First off I'd like to start by asking, does anyone else on this message board have seborrheic dermatitis? Its basically dry itchy skin, that when rubbed sheds dead skin and gets red.. you might have it and not already know it. If you've had this before or if you have it right now, what are you using or what have you used to help it? Right now i'm washing with C&C blackhead clearing scrub, then moisturizing, then applying Ciclopirox Olamine Cream 0.77%. My skin is generally oily on the nose and my whole face feels tight around my mouth due to the seborrheic dermatits. My lips are super chapped 24/7 and the skin on my nose and around my mouth is red from irritation due to the condition. I'm really just wondering if anyone else out there is experiencing this or has experienced this because I would really like to get some more help. This condition makes me really self conscience about my appearance and I would give anything in the world to make it go away.

Guest Marino

Sorry pal, i dont have that, theres only a few people on here with skin problems other than acne [excezema for example].

However i was just wandering if you could share your progress with C&C blackhead scrub,

i've got a few on my nose and wouldn't mind buying something to deal with them.

As for the lips, maybe you could use a chinese lip balm, my friend on roacutane swears by it, he had very dry lips at the begining of his course and now there healthy and moist again.

Take care and best of luck with your regime.

Hey your not alone, one of my derm's said I had seb derm, it sucks, I am trying the regimen right now to get rid of my cysts which the derm said is often times seen with seb derm, It has seemed to help the scaling and the redness, because now everything is scaly and red! No just kidding, that was only the first few weeks and moisturizer usually helped the scaling.

My doc gave me Nizoral shampoo and told me to use on my face and hair. After a week I was an oily mess, weird, I quit using it. Maybe the creams better.

The Sebhoreic dermatitis part has always seemed to come and go for me though, its the cysts I get that drive me insane.

I think i need a new derm.. the one i have now said he only sees signs of Seborrheic dermatitis on the edges of my nose but its really clear to me that i have the same problem all around my mouth. I really wish he would take more then 1 minute to look at my face and determine whats wrong with it.. I wish I could take a derm for one whole day and just let them study the changes in my face through out the day.. and the type of skin i have. Alright.. well im still lookin for help so anyone else who knows anything, please leave a comment.

I think I might have this but Im not sure!

Im nervous because mt derm just prescrived Accutane to me!

I ALWAYS have dry skin!

But I dont understand how I can have some flaky spots, usually around my beardline and lesser on my nose... but still have some shine on my forhead and a few minor blemishes at the same time!

It's confusing... do I have acne which is caused by excess production of oil glands... or something else considering my face is dry and I have to apply so much moisturizer to it before going out every morning just to get rid of the flakes (even though the dryness is still there buried underneath)!

I want to know if what I have is Seborrhea.

I've told all my derms that my skin is always excessively dry and that I need to spend 40 mins. in the bathroom every morning applying moisturizer... but until this afternoon I'd not even been familiar with the term!

I want to know if I should be hesitant to go on Accutane given this as the results seem to only fuel one of the major problems Im already dealing with... dry flaky skin!

But at the same time, Id like to prevent the minor afternoon forhead and nose shine and reduce the occurance of blemishes and spots that show up every other week in small numbers.

I don't know what to do!

Why is there no proven tests to determine these conditions??

I find it proposterous that doctors can reccommend treatments for patients when they are not even sure of the condition to begin with!

eusa_wall.gif

My derm diagnosed me with it about a month ago. My acne was flaring back up and I had to quite using BP and retinoids. My skin was so red, itchy, and dry that either medication would really irritate it.

He thought it was just dermatitis at fist, so he put me on a cortisone cream. It came roaring right back though. Next he thought it was related to seasonal allergies. I had an allergy test and results were negative. The antihistamines he gave me did help though. He also perscribed me with loprox, that didn't work so well. Then he gave me some elidel. That took care of the dermatitis, but it kept coming back. It really pissed me off because I was unable to treat my acne. And everything I put on my face dried the hell out of it. My face was already so dry and irritated it would get super tight and peel when I just washed with cetaphil, and every shave gel dried me out horribly.

My doctor thought there might be some kind of product I was using that was causing the problem. I was using the least irritating products I could think of, just cetaphil, and some edge ultra sensitive unscented shave gel. The culprit behind the problem was my razor! I've been using one of those gilette mach3 turbo's with the comfort strip. Apparently there's something in that comfort strip that I'm allergic to. I switched back to the regular mach3 about 4 days ago and the sebhorric dermatitis is fading away.

I'm not sure if my story helps you or not, but I do share the same problem as you. If you got any questions for me, ask away.

My dermatits is cured, I never took a pic of me with it.  Here's a picture of it, this is kind of a moderate - severe pic.  You can easily spot the red and dried out skin.

user posted image

The picture was already on the internet. It makes no difference whether I use a hyperlink, or the pic. I'm pointing out the key features of seborrheic dermatitis. I think the redness, and dry and peeling skin is quite visible. The condition has the same effect on your skin regardless of your skin color. I was just posting a pic like aolforbroadband asked for. If that want to look at more, I'm sure they can find them.