Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ben100604

Differin in conjunction with Benzamycin

My doctors put me on a regimen of differin on in the morning and then benzamycin at night and it has been seriously kicking the crap out of my acne. I first noticed an improvement after a month and its been about 6 weeks now and is getting better and better. I only have 2 active lesions and thats no exaggeration. Still got a fair few redmarks but they are disappearing quickly. I'm happy that i've found this becuase it doesnt involve oral antibiotics. I dont need to worry about the resistance concerning the erythromycin in the Benzamycin either because:

--- I've been on Benzamycin loads of times over the last 6 years

--- I was on Oral Erythromycin for 2 6month courses

Any resistance would be well and truly built up now regarding the p.acne bacteria fighting power. My doctor has told me that antibiotics also have an anti-inflammatory effect which doesnt concern killing off bacteria. I've seen no side effects from this regimen either which is good. My skin is on course to looking really really good! I do keep out of the direct sunlight at the moment as its summer in the UK and differin and benzamycin make the skin more photosensitive . But I've never liked the heat anyway so the shade suits me fine! My skins still oily though, maybe a little less now that i'm back on Benzamycin, but its a small cross to bear! Has anyone else ever been put on this combination and what results have you seen?

Well the sig came about because i was sick to death of people telling me that all I had to do was eat less carbs, eat more carbs, drink a glass of water an hour before my meal etc!

Hey Ben I've been on that combo and its worked the best so far for me. You might consider switching back and forth between benamycin and benzaclin when you get immune to one. My pervious derm told me to use plexion wash in conjuction with differin and benzaclin or benzamyclin. Ask your derm and good luck with everything.

I dont think i'm gonna suffer much resistance, as i said i've been on and off erythromycin in various forms over the years which is the way in which resistance is built up to antibiotics.

oh ben...i love your anti-hippie sentiment...it is true that diet has very little effect on true acne...spicy foods/mild allergic food reactions can irritate acne but they do not cause it...

the combo you're on is pretty powerful and I find it to be quite effective with patients...if the benzamycin seems to lose effectiveness just move onto a face wash such as Brevoxyl 8% for a little while and go back...or yes you could try a different antibiotic/BP cream...No matter your experience with the oral/topical medication...it is likely you will develop some resistance to the Benzamycin if it is the ONLY thing you use...it may take years though...hence you not having problems before...often if you change the method of intake...you can avoid resistance...topicals tend to build resistance before orals do as well...

best of luck

I'm still doing pretty well on this combination. Last week I only had 3 noticeable lesions come up and this week I only had 2! Maybe I wont get any next week, but who knows. I am looking a helluva lot better than I did 2 months ago, but still theres red marks left all over my face, some are 6 weeks old and still noticeable, not terrible red marks but still there none the less. No major scars but i've got several little pinhead sized holes to the right of my nose which have been caused by my acne over the years and they're permanent, maybe one day I could look into dermabrasion as its quite a small area and wouldnt take too long to do or heal. As I said, just 2 spots this week and they werent anything terrible, but I'm still a long way from looking ok. In a month, the red marks will be looking better and some will have gone. I still feel as though I'm never going to truly beat acne and be happy in my skin