Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LAET

hydroxyquinoline anyone?

Someone recommended bag balm to me and swears its awesome to get rid of acne scars. I bought some and see the main ingredient is hydroxyquinoline. I tried researching the chemical but only discovered how harmful and toxic it is. The bag balm stuff is to be used to dechap cow udders. Hasn't there been posts on the topic?? I thought the word looks familiar. Anyone try it? What kind of results did you have?

Thanx THX for the reply. I'm kinda scared to keep using it. I did seem to have a little trouble breathing when I had it on my face. I might try it for another week and see if theres any improvement.

I was the person who mentioned hydroquinone, and i doubt it's the same ingredient. Hydroquinone is a skin bleach and the 4% is prescription only. I am not familiar with hydroxyquinone. What is it supposed to accomplish?

It's true purpose is to heal and protect abrasions and chapping, chafing of cow udders. It's been around forever and still sold in it's orginal tin. (I bought mine at Walgreens). Like I said it was recommended to me for acne scars. The person who recommended it has a brother who's had acne scarring. Supposedly it's barely noticeable now (I've never met him) He uses the bag balm and Vit E oil that Whole Foods makes. (Whole Foods is a health food store)

It's true purpose is to heal and protect abrasions and chapping, chafing of cow udders.  It's been around forever and still sold in it's orginal tin.  (I bought mine at Walgreens).  Like I said it was recommended to me for acne scars.  The person who recommended it has a brother who's had acne scarring.  Supposedly it's barely noticeable now (I've never met him)  He uses the bag balm and Vit E oil that Whole Foods makes.  (Whole Foods is a health food store)

I am familiar with bag-balm, but I've never tried it. I would never use vitamin-e oil!!! I know from derms that it doesn't do shit. The oil straight from the capsule or in original form isn't even capable of penetrating the skin to do any good...in fact, it's known to block the pours. I say NO to straight ahead vitamin-e oil.

Scars are bitches to get rid of! I only have one shallow one which i got months ago. I think the only products that are known to help are the retinoid products (retin-a, tazorac, differin) and A-copper products and Mederma...and most of all, time...unfortunately, time is the best healer.

What's the next best step for skin lightening besides bleaching, them ain thing I am worried about is it damaging my face alot.... I've tried just about everything but this & it doesn't seem to have a good effect on my skin...

TG,

Time can improve scars. However, while it may seem contradictory, the sooner most scars get treated the better the result. If you can stimulate the collagen close to the time of the injury you can enhance the healing process rather than restarting it again after your body thinks it is done. Dr. Scheibner wrote this in her book called Essence of Beauty. She is a renowned laser surgeon who specializes in extra gentle laser stimulation.

Anna

Someone recommended bag balm to me and swears its awesome to get rid of acne scars.  I bought some and see the main ingredient is hydroxyquinoline.  I tried researching the chemical but only discovered how harmful and toxic it is.  The bag balm stuff is to be used to dechap cow udders.  Hasn't there been posts on the topic??  I thought the word looks familiar.  Anyone try it?  What kind of results did you have?

Interesting.... I have not heard of that ingredient before, but I wouldn't be thrilled about putting something harmful/toxic on my face. If you had trouble breathing when you put it on, I think that's a really bad sign. Just my opinion LAET.

Yeah, I know Tamara. Kind of a no brainer huh? I'm up for trying anything for the sake of improving my skin, except urine at this point. I gotta draw the line somewhere damnit!