Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ItsyBitsyBetsy

Just began Accutane...

Hi,I just began Accutane recently,I'm on day 12...I have had mild to moderate acne thats very persistant for yrs...I'm 33 yrs old..tried everything...somethings worked butonly for awhile..Differin,retina,minocin..lists goes on.Anyways i expected to have some side eeffects by now like dry skin,nose,dry lips..nothing...when did the side effects set in for most of u?I'm on 40mgs once a day..i weigh 136 (5ft 8)...please share your experiences on this drug...thanks...very curious..

Hi!

I'm on 40 mg/day at 115 lbs and so far I've had a few side effects, but most of them have come and gone (I'm only 6 days into treatment).

A slight backache

light headache

joint pain in my ankle

dry eyes

These side effects aren't here right now (so far they've all seemed to come and go, but that doesn't mean they won't be back). The only side effect I'm dealing w/right now is a dry nose w/bloody boogies! I'm also still oily, so no severe dryness yet.

I'm still awaiting the dreaded initial breakout and hoping desperately that it won't be that bad!!!!

There's also a link on the Prescription Medication forum that will explain any other possible side effects that you could experience. Good luck!

My side effects kicked in like right away... I started on 60mg a day and weigh about 150lbs...

my lips went dry first... then tons of oil on my face for the first week then that dried out...headaches... stuffy ears...lower back pains... itchy dry flaking scalp...very tired phsyically I have put like 30seconds onto my run in the last month ( NOT GOOD)

The headaches have gone away... stuffy ears still but I thnk that is a mixture of my cold too...

i hope accutane works!!

My side effects kicked in like right away... I started on 60mg a day and weigh about 150lbs...

my lips went dry first... then tons

SO it's 2 weeks into taking acctuane..I was taking 1 40mg a day now m dr said i can take 2 pills on mon's and 2 on fri's only 1 the other days..cux i was not getting dry with 7 pills a week so he upped it to 9 pills .. I think this past week was my intial breakout..it seems to be drying more..not too bad though... i do get bouts of fatgiue that come and go...

my lips went dry first... then tons

SO it's 2 weeks into taking acctuane..I was taking 1 40mg a day now m dr said i can take 2 pills on mon's and 2 on fri's only 1 the other days..cux i was not getting dry with 7 pills a week so he upped it to 9 pills .. I think this past week was my intial breakout..it seems to be drying more..not too bad though... i do get bouts of fatgiue that come and go...

WEll it's day 23 of taking accutane..and my eye dryness comes and goes..I'm no longer oily faced or shiny...my lips seem alittle drier..not bad..I'm excited abut the end results of my skin..I hope it's not short lived thouhg..I have mild acne but persitant thats why my derm put me on tane..so I'm hoping this does the trick..being 33 and still breaking out really sucks..acne sucks at any age but i always hoped as i grew older I'd outgrow it

We're around the same pace: I'm at Day 21 today, but I've been taking 80mg/day and was just bumped up to 100mg. I know a lot of people have felt the side effects right away, but I'm still tolerating it very well. No real complaints, just mildly dry lips and recently, some minor flaking. I've had some dry eyes too, but I blame staying up and reading 12 hours/day (I'm a law student).

I'm just hoping I will be clear before Christmas/New Years!

We're around the same pace: I'm at Day 21 today, but I've been taking 80mg/day and was just bumped up to 100mg.  I know a lot of people have felt the side effects right away, but I'm still tolerating it very well.  No real complaints, just mildly dry lips and recently, some minor flaking.  I've had some dry eyes too, but I blame staying up and reading 12 hours/day (I'm a law student). 

I'm just hoping I will be clear before Christmas/New Years!

Kittykat,

How bad is your acne?Mine is mild to moderate.But persistant,I'm33 yrs old..and have tried many topicals and antibiotics which only worked short term..I'am  tolertaing the side effects well too,I had expectd to be much drier and for my lips to be more dry as well or from the when people made it sound i thought my lips would be cracked and bledding and that i'd be applying lotion non stop..hasnt happened yet..But my Friend said she dint get real dry til 2mos in..I just hope I'm not one of the few people accutane donest help...

Kittykat,

How bad is your acne?Mine is mild to moderate.But persistant,I'm33 yrs old..and have tried many topicals and antibiotics which only worked short term..I'am  tolertaing the side effects well too,I had expectd to be much drier and for my lips to be more dry as well or from the when people made it sound i thought my lips would be cracked and bledding and that i'd be applying lotion non stop..hasnt happened yet..But my Friend said she dint get real dry til 2mos in..I just hope I'm not one of the few people accutane donest help...

I would say I'm mild/moderate... I worried too about Accutane not working -- NOTHING else had been effective, out of all of the topicals and antibiotics I've tried. But somewhere near the end of my initial 5 month course of Accutane, I cleared up.

That was four years ago, and since I started breaking out again, I tried antibiotics again (I knew it would be ineffective, but my derm insisted). After a month of Minocin, I demanded to be put on Accutane again. Its the only thing that has ever worked for me. I'm on Amnesteem (the generic) this time around since my insurance won't pay for the brand-name. I'm hoping to get it once and for all this time.

Good luck to you!

Kittykat,

I would say I'm mild/moderate... I worried too about Accutane not working -- NOTHING else had been effective, out of all of the topicals and antibiotics I've tried. But somewhere near the end of my initial 5 month course of Accutane, I cleared up.

That was four years ago, and since I started breaking out again, I tried antibiotics again (I knew it would be ineffective, but my derm insisted). After a month of Minocin, I demanded to be put on Accutane again. Its the only thing that has ever worked for me. I'm on Amnesteem (the generic) this time around since my insurance won't pay for the brand-name. I'm hoping to get it once and for all this time.

Good luck to you!

Kittykat,how old are u? SO this is your second round of accutane?How soon after the first course did the acne comeback?Are u on 80mgs?same dose as before?I'm on clavaris another generic  form of tane..My dr, asured me it's just as effective so did the pharmacist.I'm on 40 mgs but take 2 40's (seperately on mon and thurs) I'm guessing  into treatment my derm will up it ..I'm scaredto go higher than 60mgs..

Kittykat,how old are u? SO this is your second round of accutane?How soon after the first course did the acne comeback?Are u on 80mgs?same dose as before?I'm on clavaris another generic  form of tane..My dr, asured me it's just as effective so did the pharmacist.I'm on 40 mgs but take 2 40's (seperately on mon and thurs) I'm guessing  into treatment my derm will up it ..I'm scaredto go higher than 60mgs..

I'm 22 now, I was 17/18 during my first experience with Accutane and had clear skin for about 4 years. My dose the first time around was 80mg/day. This time around I'm on the generic Amnesteem and I started on 80mg/day, but was just bumped up to 100mg/day.

[/quot e]

Kittykat.

are u liking the 100mgs?any real differnce yet?

I'm 22 now, I was 17/18 during my first experience with Accutane and had clear skin for about 4 years. My dose the first time around was 80mg/day. This time around I'm on the generic Amnesteem and I started on 80mg/day, but was just bumped up to 100mg/day.

[/quot e]

Kittykat.

Well its nealry the start of my 4th week on tane,,tom makes 4 wks..week 2-3were the worst..now approacing week 4 thinsg are better..lotsof marks and faded..no new breakouts and in only have 2 dried up zits on my chin..almost afriad to get happy..right when i say i'm clear i break out.some lsight eye dryness,lips are too bad..face isnt too dry..not oily but not flaky dry either..scalp itches from time to time..nOt having to try to hard when i apply makeup to do as much concealing which is great.

[/quot e]

Kittykat.

Well its nealry the start of my 4th week on tane,,tom makes 4 wks..week 2-3were the worst..now approacing week 4 thinsg are better..lotsof marks and faded..no new breakouts and in only have 2 dried up zits on my chin..almost afriad to get happy..right when i say i'm clear i break out.some lsight eye dryness,lips are too bad..face isnt too dry..not oily but not flaky dry either..scalp itches from time to time..nOt having to try to hard when i apply makeup to do as much concealing which is great.

Well it's one month today i've een on tane..My Derm just upped my dose from 9 40mgs a week to 12 so bascially 5 days outta the week i take 2 40 mgs and the other 2days only 1..H wants me annoyingly dry he said..whihc i'm currently not..He said I need to be annoyingly dry for 2 mos outta the 4-5 course..and needing to apply moisturizer every few hrs..i guess that is party of the treatment getting so dry means then tane is really shrinking the oil glands down to nothing..so likelyhood of the acne returning is less likely...And here i was happy nking i was gonnabe one of the lukcy people wo didnt get superbad side effects..since a month into it i want all ried out..turns out it does me my body is handling the tane well but he wants me on a high enough dose so that I"m Mega dry..anyone else in a similair situation?

Its weird, even on 100mg/day I'm not very dry yet. (During my first course of Accutane, I was on 80mg/day and the dryness definitely bothered me) I'm no longer oily and shiny, which is great, but not dry to the point where there is peeling or bothersome dryness, which is also great!

Its weird, even on 100mg/day I'm not very dry yet.  (During my first course of Accutane, I was on 80mg/day and the dryness definitely bothered me)  I'm no longer oily and shiny, which is great, but not dry to the point where there is peeling or bothersome dryness, which is also great!

Its weird, even on 100mg/day I'm not very dry yet.  (During my first course of Accutane, I was on 80mg/day and the dryness definitely bothered me)  I'm no longer oily and shiny, which is great, but not dry to the point where there is peeling or bothersome dryness, which is also great!

Yeah my dryness isn't bothersome..just noticeable to me,only my upper lip seems dry and slightly chappped but i wear lipgloss daily so that already keeps them moist.my eyes get sore and dry at times..but my facial dryness isnt too bad..bet my dr, ups me from 80 mgs 7 days aweek instead of the current 5 days aweek..

Yeah my dryness isn't bothersome..just noticeable to me,only my upper lip seems dry and slightly chappped but i wear lipgloss daily so that already keeps them moist.my eyes get sore and dry at times..but my facial dryness isnt too bad..bet my dr, ups me from 80 mgs 7 days aweek instead of the current 5 days aweek..

Day 47(week6)

I saw my derm dr last thursday,he did up my dose so now i take 80mgs a day(2,40mgs) my lips seem alittle drier but my face isnt overly dry,definetly not oily..the dr thought my skin looked great although i was wearing makeup,my skin has improved but it's not 100% yet..he seems to thinkI'll be done taking tane beginning of DEC...

Day 47(week6)

I saw my derm dr last thursday,he did up my dose so now i take 80mgs a day(2,40mgs) my lips seem alittle drier but my face isnt overly dry,definetly not oily..the dr thought my skin looked great although i was wearing makeup,my skin has improved but it's not 100% yet..he seems to thinkI'll be done taking tane beginning of DEC...

Actually, I guess I was lucky but the only thing I got was dry nose and lips...this is going to sound gross, but I got really hard clot boogers and crackhead lips and dryness other places if you know what I mean...and it was not fun, but I got used to it after 7 months... :( A good tip to keep your nose clean is to blow it right after you get out of the shower when everything is soft and to wear waxy chapstick that does not make your skin melt off your lips...and with no "medication" in it cuz you'll hate the taste...hope that helped.