Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
happy_bear

DIET ! TO EAT OR NOT TO EAT ?

ok ! everyone has questioned it at some point .. is diet a factor of my acne ??? most people say no but some say yes !! so whats the real answer ?? well for me yes it can cause my acne to get worse and i mean alot worse but that might just be me .... things react differently to different people thats why your best mate with the perfect skin eats fried food,soda,chips,crips, chocolate,sweets and anything with an E number and still manages to have good skin.. and if you even think about having a chip its zit city !!!!

now i know people are going to say " diet dosnt cause acne.. which is true but it can make it worse this is the formula

Refined carbs/sugar = more insulin = more hormones = more sebum (oil) = more bacteria = more acne

so i wanted to hear your feed back ...... have you noticed your diet affecting your skin????

ok ! everyone has questioned it at some point .. is diet a factor of my acne ??? most people say no but some say yes !! so whats the real answer ?? well for me yes it can cause my acne to get worse and i mean alot worse but that might just be me .... things react differently to different people thats why your best mate with the perfect skin eats fried food,soda,chips,crips, chocolate,sweets and anything with an E number and still manages to have good skin.. and if you even think about having a chip its zit city !!!! 

now i know people are going to say " diet dosnt cause acne.. which is true but it can make it worse this is the formula

Prevailing wisdom in the dermatology community is that diet and acne are not related. Of course science is never a 100% reliable enterprise. But at this time, there is no evidence that chocolate, sugar, oil, milk, seafood, or any other food causes acne. Some people absolutely insist that a certain food causes acne for them, or that a specific acne diet works for them. In this case, doctors sometimes recommend that they avoid that food or follow that diet. Regarding chocolate specifically, several studies have been performed, and the answer to "does chocolate cause pimples?" is a resounding "No".

Definately, when I eat dairy products I break out, so I've cut out a lot of dairy products - yogurt, cheese, cream etc. I just replace them with fruits and salads. Also bread - French bread, bagels = bad, so I replace them with Ryvita and Rice cakes.

I've been into a Fruit Dioet for a whole month and it surely helps!

If you really eat a lot this is the best way... eat as many fruits you like.. but only fruits and fruits only.

Even if it didn't affect acne, eating healthy is still really important.

Anyway, after this week I think that unhealthy foods break me out. Unhealthy = sugars, greasy things, etc.

I stopped using BP a week ago and the first 3-5 days I wasn't breaking out, but then I started loading on the ice cream and fast food and BAM I suddenly have a whole city of whiteheads and red bumps.

It could just be a coincidence, but I'd rather not take my chances.

When it comes to diet I'd just eat sensibly.

garbage in garbage out (your skin, your organs, etc.)

unless you have superior genetics and your body eliminates the toxins out the other end as efficiently as possible

everytime i've been to a derm they NEVER mention diet, so i never really believed all the diet hype either. then i decided to give it a shot (tried just about everything else) and saw a HUGE difference. i cut out dairy, wheat, sugar and coffee (now in 4th week) and started seeing improvement right away. i cheated the other night cuz it was someone's birthday and the cake looked sooooo good. well, i'm sure paying for it now.

bottom line, give it a try and you'll see if diet is a factor for you. i wish i did this years ago.

also, derms don't want to stress the diet connection cuz that way they won't make any $$$$ off meds. its true.

If I eat dairy I get a lot more zits. So some food gives me acne, but I do not know if sugary or oily food gives me acne

Yes me to! I get the big cystic ones if I drink milk. It never misses

Refined carbs/sugar = more insulin = more hormones = more sebum (oil) = more bacteria = more acne

so i wanted to hear your feed back ...... have you noticed your diet affecting your skin????

The insulin/hormone connection isn't the only way sugar causes acne. There's also inflammation.

I wouldn't have had to suffer from acne for 30 years if people hadn't kept saying that diet has no effect on acne.

I am completely clear now with fairly painless diet changes and a few supplements.

Prevailing wisdom in the dermatology community is that diet and acne are not related. Of course science is never a 100% reliable enterprise. But at this time, there is no evidence that chocolate, sugar, oil, milk, seafood, or any other food causes acne. Some people absolutely insist that a certain food causes acne for them, or that a specific acne diet works for them. In this case, doctors sometimes recommend that they avoid that food or follow that diet. Regarding chocolate specifically, several studies have been performed, and the answer to "does chocolate cause pimples?" is a resounding "No".

Which is why I stopped bothering going to dermatologists about 15 years ago. None of their experiments on me helped a bit.

And chocolate does not cause pimples, sugar does.

I am not so sure that derms really are trying to screw you out of money by not telling you about diet's affect on acne. I think that there really have not been enough studies to prove that diet is causing acne. The USDA recommended diet is still very high on carbs and has been for a long time, and wheat and milk have always been a staple of the American diet. Wheat flour and Milk are supplemented with many nutrients and for most people that is where they get those nutrients instead of the food where they naturally occur. So, really I don't think it is the dermatologists who are at fault, but the whole food system and the way our culture eats. So, don't blame the dermatologists because they are just treating people by way of the modern medical standard.

i think there's been enough research that indicates there COULD be link between diet and acne that the derms should at least mention it as an extra thing that patients should try. look at the results that many people on here have had from changing their diet.

modern medical standard = pop a pill

patients also bear some of the blame. no one wants to have to 'work at it'.