Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ScarFace68

New Ways to Get Clear Skin

ok...i was doing my homework when i came upon this new article that was just posted by Health.com. I think most of you who suffer from acne problems should try these products out, they are kinda pricey though. Well...without further delay...here is the article...enjoy:

Article below, but a link to where you can find the article on their website.

New Ways to Get Clear Skin

by Michele Bender

Three new weapons in the fight against adult acne.

"Few things stick around from your teen yearsâ€â€that waist size, say. But acne can follow you all the way to grownup-hood, or pop up in your 30s or 40s, even if you’ve never had it before. Hormonal fluctuations, genetics, and cosmetics are the main reasons why more than one-third of adult women have some form of blemishes. Luckily, there are new ways to keep breakouts at bay.

A long-lasting zap. During Photo-dynamic Therapy, a topical medication called Levulan is applied to skin, allowed to soak in for 30 to 60 minutes, then zapped with a pulsing light. “This destroys the oil glands and bacteria in the follicles, and can keep acne away for months or years,� says Mitchel P. Goldman, MD, medical director of La Jolla Spa MD, author of the new textbook Photodynamic Therapy and one of several dermatologists doing the treatment. You’ll need one to three hour-long sessions about 2 to 4 weeks apart. Be aware that your skin will be slightly red and sun-sensitive for a day or two; dermatologists recommend wearing a hat when you leave your appointment. Cost: $250 to $350 per treatment.

A fast-drying foam. Evoclin is one of the first topical, prescription antibiotics made in a foam form. Once a day, after cleansing and drying skin, you massage it into acne-prone spots on your chest, face, or back. We love that it’s absorbed instantly, leaving skin dry and residue-free. Cost: About $145 (for 100 grams) or $90 (for 50 grams).

A breakthrough cream. Pending approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, Velac is the first prescription to combine two proven acne fightersâ€â€topical antibiotic and retinoid creamâ€â€in one convenient tube. Together, they workfaster on mild to moderate acne than a topical antibiotic or retinoid cream alone."

 Michele Bender is a Contributing Editor at Health.

A link to where you can find the article online.

That's awesome. I'm going to show my mom this (just so it can give her hope that her acne can go away. She's very frugal in providing herself good products that work for her face).

thats so cool! cheap too! only 300 dollars per treatment??? and you only need 1 to 3!! and i live near la jolla so this is great news! I just got off accutane and if my acne comes back im getting this done for sure!

I just got my new Health magazine in the mail today and I was planning on posting the same exact thing. biggrin.gif

That Photo-dynamic therapy sounds good though.Im gonna have to look into that further.

thats so cool! cheap too! only 300 dollars per treatment??? and you only need 1 to 3!! and i live near la jolla so this is great news! I just got off accutane and if my acne comes back im getting this done for sure!

hey! you live by me! PM me sometimes!

anyways the machine is called smoothbeam and i've done my research on this before. it usually takes about 5 treatments. the treatments last for up to 30 min (pretty good right?). it is about $300 dollars a treatment. but after you're done with the first five treatments you'll have to come in every 6 months to a year for a touch up treatment. i heard it's pretty painful and i've seen the pictures...it looks like the acne went down by about 55%. i'd recomend accutane. at least they have a 90% success rate (of course i've never tried it because i'm allergic to it).