Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
300ZXTT

I really need help with my acne!

Hi. Before I introduce myself and my problem, I would like to just say that this forum looks like a blessing, with a load of helpful information, and can hopefully assist in my neverending journy to get rid of this acne. My name is Jake, and I am 17 years old. I am going to be a Sr. in high school in exactly a week. 300ZX TT is my car I drive if anyone was wondering! Sorry for the following fairly long post!

So heres the deal. Ever since about late Freshman year, and all of Sophmore year and on, I have been experiencing some acne. It has never been anything I would even consider as bad or servere as many of the other people are experiencing, but it is still just as frustrating.

Over the past three years I have tried many different washes and creams to help prevent this. To make a long story short, the list of the products I have used include starting out using ProActive, which didn't seem to do anything at all. Might have helped reduce some existing pimples, but never helped prevent, which might have been pure coincidence. So my mother and I went to the dermatologist in my Sophmore year (2 years ago) and at this point my acne was very mild, but still very annoying. The dermatologist perscribed Brevoxyl - 4 Creamy Wash. to wash my face and body in the shower each morning, and then once again on my face at night, and to treat affected areas with Benzaclin cream in that white cylinder. Again, this helped reduce existing acne, but could never prevent it from coming back again.

Another time I was using Benzaclin for treated areas, and to wash my entire suspicious areas with this wash (which was long ago, and I threw it out so I dont remember its name), but it smelled terrible, of sulfer and made all of my undershirts smell, with NO results.

Another time in my Junior year, I started experiencing body acne on my chest and on my back. The derm. reccomended trying Retin-A Micro on my face, chest, and back to treat this. These produced no results on my chest or back, but however on my face I remember it produced terrible results, which forced my to take off three days of school while I remember having my chin all ripped and torn up after using the Retin-A for only a few days, so I stopped using that and started using Differin on my face instead, which produced decent results, but still not as good as the Benzaclin for me. For my face wash, he had me try these pads which came in a white and orange packet, that I cant remember the name of, but none the less they produced no results.

My most recent visit to the derm., maybe 3-4 months ago, he told me to get back on the Brevoxyl - 4 Creamy Wash, to use that on my body and face while in the shower, and use any generic face wash at night and then use Differin gel on my face before sleep. Differin didnt seem to do much at all, so since about a month or two ago I went back to Benzaclin to treat existing acne (once in morning, once in evening), and it deffinetly did clear my acne up in a decent amount of time, but I was still getting pimples coming up here and there, but not to mention would leave my face powder-ish in the morning. I actually just ran out of the Benzaclin, so as of now and recently I have been using these clearasil face pads that you can buy in stores at night, and the Brevoxyl wash in the shower every morning, and using Differin in the morning, and every night, but still nothing is helping prevent acne.

My diet does admittingly suck, I live off fastfood and junk, allthough I am not even the slightest overweight. But I was under the impression that this is irrelevant to acne anyway. At this point, I am basically willing to do anything to help treat this with no concern about cost, and was considering Accutane but it sounds like it has some bad side effects so I am a bit hesitant. Hopefully someone can give my some insight on what to do in my situation. Allthough my acne is in no way horrible, its still something that is depressing to have, when I see all of these people with crystal clear skin who dont even have a need to wash their face at night. I posted some pics of my skin. Pretty much everywhere from my forehead, to the nose, to my neck blemishes can be found. My body acne includes the top of my chest area and back area. I tried to take some pics to show this. Second pic is of chest area, which is pretty much the same as my back area. Is this an internal problem? Does anyone have any reccomendations for mild acne like this?

The only thing I can say has worked well is tanning which helped temprorarilly HIDE back and chest acne, and slightly hide facial acne, but this is just avoiding the problem still, and not treating it. So far Benzaclin has been the only product out of everything I have tried to show any real positive results, as it did help reduce acne in a short amount of time, but I still dont have anything to reduce it.

Any help would be greatly appriciated! Thanks in advance.

post-28258-1125284740_thumb.jpg

post-28258-1125284749_thumb.jpg

post-28258-1125284740_thumb.jpg

post-28258-1125284749_thumb.jpg

Hey there

From the pictures your acne doesn't look bad, but your face looks very irritated and has a lot of redness. This redness and irritation may be a reaction to the products you are using. I am currently on accutane for the second time, but I was only prescribed it because I have cystic acne. I would suggest seeing a different dermatologist. I had to see three different dermatologists and waste money on useless medications and creams before I found a dermatologist that would help me.

holy crap man, me and you are in the exact same boat. or at least were. i've since cleared up. I remember the brevoxyl-4 or whatever its called, the sulfur wash, retin-a, all that stuff. all those ever did to my skin was painfully inflame it (or make it smell bad.. stupid sulfur). school starts in a week for me too. [un]luckily for me, I tore up one side of my face by shaving, and now I'm still breaking out like crazy a week later. otherwise i'm clear.

by the looks of things your skin is light-mild in terms of acne (a little better than mine). i cleared up by using the regimen on www.acne.org. i would recommend this above all else.. if you follow it exactly as it is, and are willing to make the necessary lifestyle changes, you'll be cleared in no time.

bp gel works wonders. you should have seen my back. it was about 5x worse than your chest. big painful pus filled bastards, they hurt like hell and made my back feel weird if anyone touched it, even through my shirt. but the bp gel cleared that up in a matter of months. the gel is different from anything else you've ever used (the bp wash, for example), because it absorbs into your skin more easily.

your best bet is to get on the regimen as fast as you can. you probably won't be 100% clear for school pictures (as bp gel takes a few days to get to your house, and then you have to adjust yourself to the regimen), but you'll definately seen an improvement by then. don't go back to the derm. as far as i'm concerned all they do is suck your money away without giving you results (remember, medicine is a BUSINESS). they're good for people with severe acne, but if you can clear it up by yourself then why bother going to a derm?

trust me on this one, i was EXACTLY where you were, and bp gel cleared everything up.

good luck man, keep me posted.

p.s. if you don't have a credit card and your parents are skeptical about ordering it, remind them that it's a lot cheaper than going to a derm and getting perscriptions filled

100 dollars says you're "acne" is from your lousy diet. Please try this before you consider Tane or even BP gel:

Eliminate junk food (and spicy foods) and focus on fruits and veggies.

Drink half a full glass of pure, FRESH lemon juice with half water. (=1 cup all together)

Drink lots of water and lay off the soda.

I have a feeling you're very light acne is from a simple problem like diet. Do this for two weeks and then consider 2.5% BP.

holy crap man, me and you are in the exact same boat. or at least were. i've since cleared up. I remember the brevoxyl-4 or whatever its called, the sulfur wash, retin-a, all that stuff. all those ever did to my skin was painfully inflame it (or make it smell bad.. stupid sulfur). school starts in a week for me too. [un]luckily for me, I tore up one side of my face by shaving, and now I'm still breaking out like crazy a week later. otherwise i'm clear.

by the looks of things your skin is light-mild in terms of acne (a little better than mine). i cleared up by using the regimen on www.acne.org. i would recommend this above all else.. if you follow it exactly as it is, and are willing to make the necessary lifestyle changes, you'll be cleared in no time.

bp gel works wonders. you should have seen my back. it was about 5x worse than your chest. big painful pus filled bastards, they hurt like hell and made my back feel weird if anyone touched it, even through my shirt. but the bp gel cleared that up in a matter of months. the gel is different from anything else you've ever used (the bp wash, for example), because it absorbs into your skin more easily.

your best bet is to get on the regimen as fast as you can. you probably won't be 100% clear for school pictures (as bp gel takes a few days to get to your house, and then you have to adjust yourself to the regimen), but you'll definately seen an improvement by then. don't go back to the derm. as far as i'm concerned all they do is suck your money away without giving you results (remember, medicine is a BUSINESS). they're good for people with severe acne, but if you can clear it up by yourself then why bother going to a derm?

trust me on this one, i was EXACTLY where you were, and bp gel cleared everything up.

good luck man, keep me posted.

p.s. if you don't have a credit card and your parents are skeptical about ordering it, remind them that it's a lot cheaper than going to a derm and getting perscriptions filled

That's a pretty kick ass car...

The jury is still out on food's effect on acne. Spicier food can cause inflamation of your skin which can exacerbate an already present acne condition. Certain exceptionally mild food "allergies" can do the same. But they usually wouldn't cause acne that prescription medications can't handle. I would look at your regimen as a possible cause of irritation as well. It seems like you're throwing a lot of medication at your acne problem. Its a balancing act with meds...too little and you won't clear...too much and you can make the problem worse. Try and slow it down to the use of a prescription wash once/twice a day and none of the pads or creams...experiment with it...try generic gentle cleansers like cetaphil and then just the differin twice a day...etc...drink plenty of water as caffeine can irritate your skin...and avoid the tanning as well...as that actually tends to cause acne in the long run by toughening skin and causing clogged pores...patience is important in your search for effective treatment...i know, easier said than done...best of luck...keep us posted...

That's a pretty kick ass car...

The jury is still out on food's effect on acne.  Spicier food can cause inflamation of your skin which can exacerbate an already present acne condition.  Certain exceptionally mild food "allergies" can do the same.  But they usually wouldn't cause acne that prescription medications can't handle.  I would look at your regimen as a possible cause of irritation as well.  It seems like you're throwing  a lot of medication at your acne problem.  Its a balancing act with meds...too little and you won't clear...too much and you can make the problem worse.  Try and slow it down to the use of a prescription wash once/twice a day and none of the pads or creams...experiment with it...try generic gentle cleansers like cetaphil and then just the differin twice a day...etc...drink plenty of water as caffeine can irritate your skin...and avoid the tanning as well...as that actually tends to cause acne in the long run by toughening skin and causing clogged pores...patience is important in your search for effective treatment...i know, easier said than done...best of luck...keep us posted...

Welcome Jake. Like the others have said, your acne is really mild. I think your only "problem" is a matter of expectations. Here's the thing: there is no cure for acne. All you can do is control it. Luckily for you it sounds like the Brevoxyl and Benzaclin work well for you. That's great. Be happy. Yes you have to keep doing it twice a day, but it could be worse. You could do it twice a day and have it NOT work.

There's not going to be a magic bullet. Even accutane might not work (although some people do seem to be "cured"). You'll probably grow out of acne in a couple years, so just enjoy highschool, and keep doing your routine.

Jake, let me start by saying that as far as i can tell your acne is not that bad. I know that to anyone with acne it feels bad and makes you feel self consious. In my opinion it does have a little to do with your diet. I was also a fast food junkie, until recently. I completely eliminated fast food and started eating more fruits and veggies, basically just eating healthier. Not only do i feel better but my skin looks a lot better. You have to understand that whatever you put in your body is what you get out of it. Also make sure that your pillow cases and wash clothes are cleaned every couple days. They tend to pick up a lot of bacteria. As for medications, if you find one that works for YOU stick with it. if you keep changing medications your skin will have to keep getting used to them and that may cause break outs or irritation.

i hope that this helps you at least a little bit. best of luck to you

Thanks again for the replies. I appriciate it.

The problem is, while I have found a solution for spot treating certain areas (benzaclin works best, followed by the differin) I still have yet to find a solution for a wash to help prevent acne all together. Also, the diet thing is extremely hard to change. I basically eat fast food atleast once a day, which I know is bad.. but I have never had any health problems or concerns, and gain absolutely NO weight from it. I will try eating more fruits and veggies in addition to this though.

Do you think its something internal? The reason I don't think it would be something like pillow cases or anything like that, is because I also have acne on my back and chest area. I recently started taking one a day vitamins about a week ago, but maybe I should look into more internal things to help prevent acne? This is why Acutane comes to mind, and was even reccomended by the derm.

Even though my acne is very mild, like I said it is still just as hard to get rid off.. I would do a very mild dose of Acutane but I am extremely scared of the side effects. Are the side effects of 'tane proportional to the doseage? (for example: less chapped lips/ dry skin for a smaller doseage as compared to more chapped lips/ even dryer skin for a larger doesage) or is it just in general that these side effects will occur regardless?

Thanks!

the sheets could cause the same problem on your body that the pillow cases might cause on your face...its hard to say though...

yes, usually, the dosage correlates with the severity of side effects...lower dose/less severe...best of luck...

if you want to try something internal you can get acidiphilous, or a combonation called multidiphilous. they are like the opposite of antibiotics. instead of killing bacteria they actually replenish good bacteria in your system which helps break down fats and other foods. also try efa's or essential fatty acids. if your acne problem is hormonal they work wonders i've been taking them for about 2 months and haven't seen a pimple in about 3 weeks. the efa's are fatty acids that help produce something in your pores that controls p. acne bacteria. it is a liquid that you have to drink 2 times a day. it tastes pretty wierd but is deffinitely worth it.

you can find both of these at any health food store or gnc. wink.gif