Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sunnygrl

My Regimen Experience

Well, I'm cheating today, because I am starting my log at Day 6. I have struggled with acne since I was 14 and never really grew out of it. In high school, it got really bad and I tried Retin A, various prescription drugs, and finally accutane. I was on accutane for 8 months and although it got rid of the cystic acne, my acne never completely cleared up. As well, I experienced really bad side effects. After putting up with it for 8 months, I totally gave up on trying to improve my acne and at 16 came to see it as something inevitable. I have scarring from pimples that cover my entire forehead. It looks as though my forehead is simply covered in pimples-but it's really just scars. My acne has calmed down a lot in recent years (I'm 24), but I still am never acne free or just have a couple of pimples here and there. Then just recently I graduated from university and my acne started to come back with a vengeage. My chin got the worst of it and was just covered with pimples. This went on for 3 months. They just wouldn't go away and I started worrying that I would end up with the same nasty scarring on my chin as I have on my forehead. Sooo I googled acne and lo and behold, I found The Regimen. This really appealed to me because I do not trust dermatologists/doctors to help me with my skin. Accutane is the strongest stuff there is, and it did not help me. I would much rather try over the counter treatments with few side effects. Also, there's this discussion board and it's so nice to be able to talk to other people who know what it's like to feel like crap because of their acne.

So here I am. I started The Regimen on Tuesday. Right away (I'm not exaggerating) the pimples on my chin started drying up!! The rest of my face started clearning up too. Also, my skin started to produce less oil. My face looked like it was sunburnt, but I didn't care-the pimples were healing! However, after a few days, things started getting really painful. I couldn't even sleep on my side at night, because the pressure from the pillow on my face brought tears to my eyes. It also itched like crazy-it was as if I had a giant mosquito bite. I posted a message on The Regimen discussion board and Dan suggested I go down to using BP once a day and take a bit of a break. By Friday, I had to stop and take a break. I don't think my skin was used to BP. I probably should have started more slowly. But I was so excited when I started seeing improvement that I wanted to stay with it. I will start again tonight and use the BP once a day and decrease the amount. Hopefully I won't get any pimples cuz I stop using BP for a couple of days. We will see what tomorrow brings...

Hi there and welcome smile.gif

sounds like we are at the same stage, I am on day 5 at the mo. Am having trouble with my ichy, peely, red skin. I was thinking of reducing the bp to once a day but I am trying to hang in there until my skin gets used to it, with my head hagnin low at work, that sort of thing. My face feels like it is covered in glue that had dried up and pulling. That is the only thing I can think of to describe it.

Well I hope all goes well for you. I have a good feeling about this regimen too.

Keep us posted! eusa_dance.gif

Ok, on to Day 7. I'm really not sure what's going on, but I keep waking up with my face completely swollen. This is the second day it has happened. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the BP cuz the nite before yesterday when I first got all swollen, I didn't even use BP! My eyes look almost burried beneath my cheeks! Very strange. Otherwise, everything is going well. My face is still red, but not nearly as red as last week. Also, my face no longer feels as though glue has dried on it-as one person replying to me so accurately described. Then again, I've significantly reduced the amount of BP I'm using. Tonight, I'm only using BP on my chin to make sure that it's not the BP that is swelling up my cheeks and nose. We'll see how that goes. It's also a real challenge to keep my hands off my face. I keep wanting to pick away at the dry skin (GROSS, I know, but I hate seeing it there in little flakes on my face). I have to keep myself really occupied.

"completely swollen"? That sounds really bad. Allergy to bp consists of "severe crusting or swelling". If your swelling is bad, you may be allergic.

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your concern. I thought it might be an allergy, too. Truth be told, I'm not sure what it was. However, I've been using the BP very sparingly once a day now for another 2 nights and no swelling! If I was to venture a guess, I think my skin was just in shock from the beginning treatment where I used A LOT of BP twice a day plus totally different cleaners and moisturizers than I usually use. My skin is pretty sensitive and quite fair, so this makes the most sense to me. Things are calming down now. There is no swelling or pain. Minimal redness. Still have dry skin, but it is manageable, and my acne and oiliness is under control! No new breakouts, still have red spots from previous acne, but nothing new-to me, this is extremely encouraging. I will keep it up and VERY SLOWLY increase the BP.

Guest FearlessBunnyLove

Be careful with the BP and if you do have an allergy then please stop using it. The only swelling I had was my eyes because I got BP close to my eyes. I've learned to be really careful with where I put it. But be careful and figure out if you're allergic or not