Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
oNe2MaNyPiMpOs

WHY SO MANY BASH RETINA MICRO!?

just outta curiosity, a lot of threads bash on retina micro. why? not loooking to stir up any arguments, just wondering because i have just recently started using it and want to be informed of anything that i dont know about retina micro. thx!

I think most people bash it because it's a pain in the butt to use and yields crappy results for the most of us who've used it.

I've been using it for over two years and I still got breakouts that warranted me going on Accutane. That's kind of crappy considering the initial breakout that you have to go through on RAM!

The medicine probably did something for me, but it just didn't do it enough! I still got 2-5 cysts a month on it, which to me was unacceptable.

I think most people bash it because it's a pain in the butt to use and yields crappy results for the most of us who've used it.

I've been using it for over two years and I still got breakouts that warranted me going on Accutane.  That's kind of crappy considering the initial breakout that you have to go through on RAM! 

The medicine probably did something for me, but it just didn't do it enough!  I still got 2-5 cysts a month on it, which to me was unacceptable.

Retin A has help me tremendously after just 7 weeks. But when you start retin a, it is important to use antibiotics to kill the bacteria ( topical cream or oral antibiotics).

Retin a pulls the plug to the surface and the antibiotics prevent the plug to become infected and form pimples.

My skin is now clear and i have adult persistent moderate to severe acne.

1- Retin a at night

2- BP or other topical antibiotics in the morning.

3- Minocycline 100 or 200 mg daily.

4 Sunblock.

Yes Retin a helps with red marks because it exfoliate your skin.

Retin A has help me tremendously after just 7 weeks. But when you start retin a, it is important to use antibiotics to kill the bacteria ( topical cream or oral antibiotics).

Retin a pulls  the plug to the surface and the antibiotics prevent the plug to become infected and form pimples.

My skin is now clear and i have adult persistent moderate to severe acne.

1- Retin a  at night

2- BP or other topical antibiotics in the morning.

3- Minocycline 100 or 200 mg daily.

4 Sunblock.

Yes Retin a helps with red marks because it exfoliate your skin.

Retin A is deactivated with light ( is NOT effective when used during the day and only increase the irritation ), that's why retin a is only used at night.

If you didn't get good results with oral antibiotics, you can use a topical one ( erytromycin, clarythromycin, benzoyl P .. ) . Ask your derm to prescribe you a good antibiotic CREAM ( to use in the morning ) to use along with retin a.

just outta curiosity, a lot of threads bash on retina micro.  why?  not loooking to stir up any arguments, just wondering because i have just recently started using it and want to be informed of anything that i dont know about retina micro.  thx!

Everyones skin is different.

I tried Retin-A on my face one day, and my chin was absolutely ripped up and peeling and I had to take a 3-day vacation from school it was that bad. Obviously this was just my sensitive, and refusal-to-cure skin, but Im just sharing my experience.

I also tried it on my chest and back with no result.

thx for the replies, so its not as effective if i use retina micro during the day also? Its so hard to not spot treat also because i have one pimple on my neck.

thx for the replies, so its not as effective if i use retina micro during the day also?  Its so hard to not spot treat also because i have one pimple on my neck.

I've been on different forms of Retin-A three different times. The first time I was on the gel formulation at .025% which broke me out horribly at first but then cleared me up afterwards for a few months. After about three or four months of being clear, I started to break out again. Not as bad as before, but not clear enough to justify having to use such an irritating product on my face.

I was bumped up to the .05% cream version which did absolutely NOTHING, but make my face breakout more w/smaller, closed comedones all over the sides of my chin.

I went off Retin-A completely in favor of ProActiv which (along w/pregnancy) seemed to clear my skin miraculously. I mean, not one pimple, blackhead or whitehead for almost two years. Then, after my hormones went back to normal and the ProActiv stopped being effective I was introduced to Retin-A Micro (.1%) and was convinced to try that since it was the newest thing at the time and supposedly SOOO effective. Well, I went on it and had THE worst initial breakout I've ever had (at the hieght of it I counted at least 40 cysts on my face) but once my face stopped breaking out, I was extremely clear for about three or four months. Then, slowly but surely, I started to get the good ol' cysts on the sides of my chin again. Granted, on a good month I might only get 2 or three and in a bad month I'll end up w/5. These aren't little baby zits that disappear in a day or so, but painful red tender bumps that take a week or so to go away. And they've started to leave marks. I'm also concerned about scarring because they seem to happen in the same areas every month and the skin is starting to get very weak and delicate in those areas. I've tried using BP in the mornings and RAM at night to no avail, so now I'm on a generic accutane to try to get rid of this crap. My doc says I'll have to use RAM again once I'm off 'tane to keep up the results, which is fine if it actually works! I'm just tired of having red, delicate skin that still breaks out!

Even if it works for you at first (once the breakout is over) you never know if it'll keep being effective!

A lot of people seem to quit before it has time to give results, because of the initial breakout and the irritation that occurs as your skin adjusts. It works best when used in conjunction with a topical antibiotic, and your skin has to get used to it.

A lot of people seem to quit before it has time to give results, because of the initial breakout and the irritation that occurs as your skin adjusts.  It works best when used in conjunction with a topical antibiotic, and your skin has to get used to it.

isnt flaking a sign that ur skin is being renewed a new skin layer? also retina was good at flattin this painful cyst next to my nose, however i have a big redmark now. so if i cant spot treat, how do i get rid of that one pimple on my neck??

ok nevermind guys. thx for the help, but, judging from reviews and the criticism, i decided that i will lay off retina micro. im not a big fan of "getting worst before getting better" products even though they claim it works 100%. i already see my face flaking which i really really do not like. im sticking with dove senstive skin soap bar and aloe vera as moisturizer! thx guys!

ok nevermind guys.  thx for the help, but, judging from reviews and the criticism, i decided that i will lay off retina micro.  im not a big fan of "getting worst before getting better" products even though they claim it works 100%.  i already see my face flaking which i really really do not like.  im sticking with dove senstive skin soap bar and aloe vera as moisturizer! thx guys!

I bet a large percentage of the people who say retin-a didn't work for them: a) didn't follow the instructions thoroughly, and/or b) didn't use it long enough to see results and quit prematurely. It took me a good 3-4 months before my skin started clearing dramatically.

guys, flaking means you're using too much. The more you use, the more of an initial breakout you'll have. If you have severe acne, use a lot and go through that flakyness. If you have mild acne, then use a minimum amount so that you don't get worse. tongue.gif

ok i just contradicted myself? i said i will stop using it but a few minutes ago i dabbed two pea sizes on each cheek. ahhhhh acne is driving me nuts!!! (for almost three years now!) this is i think the 4th or 5th day in a row now. so i'll give it two more weeks and we'll see something right right??

My boyfriend told me he was on the stuff over a YEAR before it REALLY started helping. Ive been on it over a month and a half now, and just two days ago I started doing the BP regimine in the morning and retin a micro at night. It doesnt seem to be drying my skin out too bad yet, I think the key here is that I waited until my skin got used to the retin a before I added in the BP to kill the bacteria. Im still getting pimples, but they are smaller now and closer to the surface. (previously I got big painful ones all the time-hopefully this will help now next time I get pms) sad.gif Its really frustrating but Ill let u guys know if this regimine works for me.

My boyfriend told me he was on the stuff over a YEAR before it REALLY started helping. Ive been on it over a month and a half now, and just two days ago I started doing the BP regimine in the morning and retin a micro at night. It doesnt seem to be drying my skin out too bad yet, I think the key here is that I waited until my skin got used to the retin a before I added in the  BP to kill the bacteria. Im still getting pimples, but they are smaller now and closer to the surface. (previously I got big painful ones all the time-hopefully this will help now next time I get pms) sad.gif Its really frustrating but Ill let u guys know if this regimine works for me.