Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How do your parents or those close to you react to your acne and the ways it effects you?

Im just curious. I mean my mom helps me pay for medicine and stuff but I can't go to her for any emotional support. About a week ago I opened up and told her how shitty I felt inside. How ugly I felt. She started yelling "THERE IS NOTHING ON YOUR FACE! YOUR SKIN LOOKS SO MUCH BETTER THAN WHAT IT USE TO. I NEED TO TAKE YOU TO GET SOME HELP! I WANT YOU TO CALL THE DOCTOR SO YOU caN sERIOUSLY LOOK IN TO GETTING HELp! ACNE SHOULDNT BE EFFECTING YOUR LIFE THIS MUCH. ITS NOT NORMAL OR HEALTHY THAT YOU STAY INSIDE ALL THE TIME. GET OVER IT YOUR GOING TO HAVE TO LIVE WITH IT."

I tired explaing to her that I want clear skin for myself but she won't hear it.

She even tried to say that she doesn't want me going on this message board because she thinks it depresses me. If she only knew how much this site and the people here acutally help me. And she's never had acne before.

My dad thinks I'm just being vain. He says when he was a teenager he had pimples too, but they went away and he didn't care because he wasn't vain. But he still helps to get doctors appointments and stuff for me. So no emotional support there.

My mom tells me it's not as bad as I think it is and she had it to and it went away. She said hers was much worse then mine was and I need to quit complaining. She says she understands how I feel but yells at me when I get depressed about it. She always tells me she's trying everything she can and it will eventually leave and I'm not the only who has it and I need to get over it. She says she was depressed about it too and tried everything to get rid of it when she had it, and when she finally stopped caring it just went away. And she tells me that once it goes away I'll most likely think "What was the big deal anyways?"

So I don't really have emotional support because my sister thinks I'm being ridiculous too and says it's nothing. Of course it's nothing to her, she doesn't have it. Everytime she gets one pimple she freaks. So how can she tell me 5-20 pimples/bumps/whiteheads is nothing?

And, yeah, maybe it will go away eventually. But I've had this for 4 or 5 years. I don't want to wait much longer. I want it to leave now so I can live my life without feeling like I'm ugly.

^ My mom gets mad that I read about acne too. She's says I need to quit reading about what everyone else is doing and how everyone else says "this works," "this doesn't work," and blah blah blah.

Sounds like she was in quite a mood, but I think she just wants what is best for you, which is to be happy and confident, and expressed it in much the wrong way at that time, or doesn't know how to at all. You might try asking her if she really thinks that just shutting you off from this site or yelling at you is gonna help the situation, because that would only force you to keep these feelings inside and atleast this way, you can get those feelings out there and try to get some help with the problem you feel you have. You could try to stay calm and talk some sense into her with that, and maybe she will think about it and realise rolleyes.gif

^ My mom gets mad that I read about acne too. She's says I need to quit reading about what everyone else is doing and how everyone else says "this works," "this doesn't work," and blah blah blah.

Lol yeah, I think she thought that I was believing everything I saw or something. I believe she said something like "Just eat well and leave your skin alone!" Shpank you, Mother, but I have tried that and frankly it doesn't entirely work that way.

To say the least, I won the discussion hands-down >:] bwahahhaa

haha my mom yelled at me when she found out I was putting neosporin on my face. She was all "Wtf are you doing? Everyone knows Neosporin is to prevent scars! Not for the treatment of acne!" and she blamed it on the internet and says I would have never tried it even I didn't read it.

Lol my mom is skeptical about things too :]

But she is a very smart person, and does look out for what's in my best interest. To get her to realize some things I was talking about wasn't just mumbo jumbo I had to print off studies/information, get her to read this site to understand how the Regimen works for the better, etc etc.

Have you ever tried to get your mum to read anything?

haha my mom yelled at me when she found out I was putting neosporin on my face. She was all "Wtf are you doing? Everyone knows Neosporin is to prevent scars! Not for the treatment of acne!" and she blamed it on the internet and says I would have never tried it even I didn't read it.

lol, well, your mum does have a point there... the vast majority of things you read about here are crazy, that wacko neosporin thread being one of them.

Lol my mom is skeptical about things too :]

But she is a very smart person, and does look out for what's in my best interest. To get her to realize some things I was talking about wasn't just mumbo jumbo I had to print off studies/information, get her to read this site to understand how the Regimen works for the better, etc etc.

Have you ever tried to get your mum to read anything?

The only thing she ever really reads is information about acne pills and stuff. lol She doesn't really care about reading anything on this site.

Ok, I am 15 and live in Mississippi, probably the redneck capital of the world. Here, guys are obviously supposed to sport the tough guy image. Now i can do this to some extent, but i dont care about walking around with acne all over my face all the time. So i got on the regimen. Now my dad tells me i put more crap on my face than a girl, so that kinda sucks, but in a way its kinda funny. But my parents never had acne and they really dont know what its like. Thankfully my older sis had acne and knows about it and all that. My parents are supportive, but still think i should just wait it out(they say its a phase, but i dont care about taking the chance) but i dont plan on wasting the best years of my life sitting inside the house. Peace,

Tyler

My mom's unsupportive and doesn't give me emotional support. She complains that I buy all these face products to prevent acne and heal my scars---and it wastes money, she says. She suffers acne just like me, but how can she say those things? We feel exactly the same deep down: feeling very crappy about our face, emotionally sensitive about our face... but she yells at me for trying to improve my skin?

She kept telling me, when I first had acne at 13 years old, that it'll go away. But it didn't. I'm 17 now and she still doesn't emotionally help me or ask me how I am. I try to tell her, I cry about it in my room, but she does nothing. We just don't have the money to buy what we need to maintain our faces.

I begged to go to a dermatologist. NO.

I begged for microdermbrasion. HELL NO.

A couple of face wash products? ARE YOU DEMENTED? Don't use money.

I'm bitter but I understand that money is always the root of our problem. We have to save money for college. Well, maybe I shouldn't go to college :\..... Kidding.

I'm sick and tired of it. I don't tell her anything. I just want a job to earn my own money to get the procedures to get rid of these acne scars, prevent acne, you know? I'll just depend on myself because she's not willing to listen.

I've thought about the Birth Control acne method, but if I threw it out there she would correlate birth control to sex, and think... well.. I don't know what she'd think really lol

wow, I'm surprised and sorry that some of you have not-so-understanding parents. When I was a teen, my mom was sympathetic, but did not talk about it much unless I brought it up. She would buy me any products I wanted to try, and when I finally asked to be taken to a derm, she did, and continued to take me to my once-monthly appointments until I could drive myself. I'm grateful to her for all that, but I think she understood because my dad had bad skin for so long.

When and if my kids get acne, I think I will be able to be supportive and helpful because I know how bad it sucks and affects every aspect of life.

I wish you guys all had someone at home who understands.

My parents always say it's not that bad, everybody has it, you dont need prescription medicines, bla bla bla

my mom just says that hers is worse than mine (even when she has perfectly clear skin). she also says that it's a waste of money and that my skin would look much better if I just washed with soap. yeah right.

my aunt kind of changes the subject when I bring it up. she'll just say "oh shut up you know you look fine." this means absolutely nothing when I can see her staring at the acne on my chin when we're talking about something. it's really depressing when that happens.. it almost makes me want to tell her that my eyes aren't on my chin...

my mom just says that hers is worse than mine (even when she has perfectly clear skin). she also says that it's a waste of money and that my skin would look much better if I just washed with soap. yeah right.

Soap alone does not work. Why do parents say that? doubt.gif

You have to understand, people, as a whole, are screwed up. Parents, although you may not notice it all the time, are going through a lot of problems themselves. When someone is going through their own issues, helping others isn't easy. Plus, they may have never dealt with the severity of our acne/scarring.

They're just human, like us.

It's too bad our parents aren't understanding of our situation, after all it is their genes that caused the problem for us. My parents an not understanding at all, and negatively critized me for the amount of money, and thought that I put into acne.