Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Supernothing

Neutrogena Healthy Skin Lotion SPF 15 with AHA

I went ahead and got the Neutrogena Healthy Skin SPF 15 with AHA and Vitamin C and E which Brandy recommended as an alternative for the Eucerin Skin Renewal. The Neutrogena Healthy Skin Lotion moisturizer is pretty good actually; it goes on well, it takes care of dryness and almost eliminates flakiness. It stings a bit because of the AHA, but that is temporary. The only 2 downs about it is its fairly strong fragrance (although its nice, kind of feminine), and that it only comes in 2.5 oz bottles instead of 4 like the Eucerin and the Cetaphil. However, i use almost twice less of this moisturizer than the Cetaphil so it lasts for almost as long as a Cetaphil 4 oz bottle. For those who can't get their hands on the Eucerin Skin Renewal, like myself, should consider getting the Neutrogena Healthy Skin Lotion SPF 15 which is much more available at any store than the Eucerin. idea.gif

thanks for the update Roman, I'm glad it is working for you.

I know what you mean about the strong fragrance, that is the only reason why I quit using it, I could just smell it all day long. Otherwise, I loved it .

ok, i have a question about this product. on the side of the box it says that with AHA you should use a sunscreen but the healthy defense lotion includes a sunscreen. so why is that blurb there? does the AHA require a more potent sunscreen? or does it negate the sunscreen that is already there? or do they just write that because they have to?

I'm looking at the side of the box right now, and i can't find where is says that you should use sunscreen with AHA. The Healthy Defense Lotion with SPF 15 already includes a sunscreen so you should be fine. There are a few Healthy Skin lotions which don't have any SPF so make sure you get the SPF 15 one. It still stings when you put it on and makes my face red, even after a few days. I hope that will go away soon, but otherwise, it helps with flakiness, dryness, and getting rid of red marks faster.

i just bought some of this at the store (impossible to find the eucerin facial skin renewal!!). giving it my first trial tonight.

I read some reviews on this stuff and some people said if you put too much on your face gets really oily...How much of it do you put on your whole face so that you dont have an oily face?

I use about 1 pump for each cheek, 1 - 2 pumps for the chin and under the nose area, and whatever is left, i use for my forehead, which is usually less than 1 pump because my forehead doesnt dry or flake. My face looks oily for a little while, then it goes away and it looks normal again. I'm more concerned with my face looking red because of the AHA, though.

Duckumu, let us know how you liked it, and contrast it to the Eucerin if you've tried it as well. Thanks

Brandy, is it worth using a moisturizer with AHA once you are completely clear with no red marks whatsover? Would it be a good idea to switch back to a regular moisturizer with nothing but SPF, or its alright to continue because the face will adjust to the irritation caused by the AHA? Roughly how long did it take you to adjust to the AHA? Thanks for the help razz.gif

Guest TylerD

I use this. The smell is like Dill lol its terrible, but it makes my skin look good.

Even though this moisturiser somewhat helped flakiness and noticebly faded a few red marks in the past few days that I've been using it, it really dried me out wayyy too much even after applying a lot of it. I applied some Ceptaphil which i used before i started using Neutrogena Healthy Skin with AHA the on top today and it helped the dryness. I think ill be going back to the Cetaphil, i would rather flake a bit more than dry the bottom half of my face like crazy. Plus, the Cetaphil doesnt burn. What do you think Brandy, do you think the dryness will go away with the Neutrogena?

Brandy, is it worth using a moisturizer with AHA once you are completely clear with no red marks whatsover? Would it be a good idea to switch back to a regular moisturizer with nothing but SPF, or its alright to continue because the face will adjust to the irritation caused by the AHA? Roughly how long did it take you to adjust to the AHA? Thanks for the help razz.gif

Roman, in my opinion, yea it's good to keep on using it, it exfoliates, and keeps your skin looking good. I'm not switching to something non-aha, especially since I am older, the aha's help to keep skin young looking and fresh looking.

Even though this moisturiser somewhat helped flakiness and noticebly faded a few red marks in the past few days that I've been using it, it really dried me out wayyy too much even after applying a lot of it. I applied some Ceptaphil which i used before i started using Neutrogena Healthy Skin with AHA the on top today and it helped the dryness. I think ill be going back to the Cetaphil, i would rather flake a bit more than dry the bottom half of my face like crazy. Plus, the Cetaphil doesnt burn. What do you think Brandy, do you think the dryness will go away with the Neutrogena?

Roman,

if you want the benefits of the aha, but your skin is rebelling, try only using it once daily, or once every other day. Perhaps use it only at night, and use your Cetaphil in the day. Play around with it and see how your skin reacts. Try alternating it with the Cetaphil, twice daily may just be too much for your skin.

Yeah, ill try that Brandy, thanks. Its just that my face is so dry with this moisturiser; i can barely smile and i cant play the trumpet either lol. Maybe it could be beacuse I apply too much of it? eusa_think.gif

Well, skip it for a few days and only use your cetaphil, then after your skin has settled down a bit, use it once daily and see how it goes. I think maybe you started with too much too fast.

Well, skip it for a few days and only use your cetaphil, then after your skin has settled down a bit, use it once daily and see how it goes. I think maybe you started with too much too fast.

Guest TylerD

I just bought the Neutrogena anti wrinkle anti blemish cream. Im gonna try it out tonight and see if it works. The stupid stuff was expensive so it better work atleast decent lol.

Just came back from work with the most dryness I've ever experienced lol because of the Neutrogena with AHA. My face felt really gritty like sand when i washed it, is it because it exfoliated too much? I'll give my skin like a day or two to get back to normal then ill use it once a day. Thanks Brandy, i was gonna throw the Neutrogena out today I was so pissed that no matter how much Cetaphil i applied on top of the Neutrogena, i couldnt help my face with the dryness. Would it be better to use the AHA at night and no AHA during the day or the other way around in a few days when I'll be willing to give the AHA another chance?

Roman,

if it were me, I'd not use the AHA lotion for a few days, or at least until your face begins to feel more normal. Then if you still want to try it out, use it every other night for a week or so and see how that goes. I am recommending using it at night as opposed to during the day because of the redness if may cause. If you tolerate it okay every other night, then you can decide if you just want to stick with that, or try and use it nightly. Everybody's skin is so different, you are just gonna have to figure out what yours can tolerate, and what produces good results for you. Continue to use your cetaphil during the day, and on the nights you are not using the aha lotion. See how that works out.

Yes, I think the grittiness was probably over-exfoliation. Give your skin a few days rest, think it over, and then go forth very slowly if you still want to try it.

Good luck and keep me posted.

Also keep in mind Roman, that this lotion has more AHA than the Eucerin Skin Renewal, so it is more "potent", if you can't tolerate it daily, don't worry, if you want it for the benefits of reducing red marks and such, just use it whenever you can. But also, if you have super sensitive skin, you may not be able to tolerate it at all.

I am recommending using it at night as opposed to during the day because of the redness if may cause. If you tolerate it okay every other night, then you can decide if you just want to stick with that, or try and use it nightly.

Brandy I have this chronic sleep itching problem, where I scratch my skin all to hell during the night and don't realize it until morning when I look in the mirror. Would that probably leave me stuck using it in the morning and just coping with the redness all day, or is there some way I can protect myself from... myself.. O_O;

Also clear my paranoia if you can: that scratching problem wouldn't cause scarring would it? :-\

Well, gosh, that sounds like a problem! You actually scratch your face all night during your sleep?

Honestly, I don't know what to say, I've never heard of that. Ever try sleeping with some soft gloves on? I know it sounds silly, but I am imagining you waking up looking like a tiger attacked during the night! Is it that bad?

Yours is a special circumstance, and I worry about the scratching causing irritation and yes scarring.

I want you all to understand that this Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion is much stronger than the Eucerin Skin Renewal, I only mentioned it since so many of you have trouble finding Eucerin.

Proceed at your own caution with it, because it is strong.

so you only had these nighttime scratching episodes when your skin was dry or already irritated? Hmmm, that's kindof hard to control, especially if you are using acne treatments that cause dryness/irritation in the beginning, usually if you can get past the first few weeks of that, things improve. But if you are scratching up your face, I am thinking you might never get past that irritation phase.

I can definitely understand your frustration. If you want to use the Regimen, you may need to go even slower than we usually recommend, in order to keep your skin from experiencing anything that might cause you to scratch in your sleep. Like, perhaps, one drop of bp day and night for a week, then two drops, etc. I know it sounds silly and tedious, but perhaps if you do it that way your skin would gradually grow to tolerate the miniscule amounts and you may not scratch in your sleep.

What do you think?

it's a toughy for sure.

Ok Roman,

I've found my old bottle of Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion, and on the back it says.........

"Use 2 pumps after cleansing, in place of your regular moisturizer, you may experience some irritation. This is normal and temporary. If irritation persists, or is too strong, use ONCE a day, or EVERY OTHER day, until your skin adjusts; then revert to daily use."

So, do your Regimen wash and apply bp, and then use this as your moist. and follow those instructions to get your skin accustomed to it.

good luck.

Thanks for the help Brandy, i appriciate it. I used a bit more than they suggested. But it didnt mention on the bottle anything about dryness, i had irritation which went away in an hour or so, so it was no big deal but the dryness stayed the entire day. Yesterday night, i used about 25 pumps of the Cetaphil to get my skin back to normal as much as i could. Now, its a little better, still dry, but at least i can somewhat smile smile.gif

Ill wait a few days until my face feels normal and then ill use the Neutrogena once every 2 days at night. After i bought the Neutrogena, the first two or three days of using, my face wasn't dry at all.. eusa_think.gif But i think it exfoliated so much that it hit me yesterday morning.