Notifications
Clear all

bleeding lips on accutane

MemberMember
(@tanewoman)

Posted : 08/25/2005 6:05 am

i've been on accutane for about 4 months now and got the usual, dry lips and dry skin. I apply moisturiser twice a day and lip balm at least every hour, except when sleeping. Anyway, this morning I noticed that my lips were bleeding . THey continued to bleed intermittently throughout the day and I felt embarassed. Anyone had this and anyone know a remedy?

MemberMember
(@trizznain)

Posted : 08/25/2005 12:53 pm

My lips got really really dry, to the point that they started to crack. My derm had earlier prescribed some stuff to put on before I went to bed and before I woke up, but my lips hadn't really bothered me that much so I never used it. Anyways, since my lips cracked I have been using it twice every day and my lips feel much better now. In fact, I rarely have to apply lip balm during the day. I also started drinking as much water as I possibly can during the day, as well as taking 200IU of vitamin E.

I'm not sure of the name of the prescription my doc gave me, but I will check once I get home from work.

MemberMember
(@masterxaero)

Posted : 08/25/2005 1:01 pm

Yeah it's possible, since accutane makes your lips dry almost 100% of the time. You probably accidentally tore your lips because you forgot they were dry.

I use this stuff called A&D ointment for whenever I get chapped lips, you might want to pick up a tube yourself. It works like a dream.

MemberMember
(@tanewoman)

Posted : 08/30/2005 8:29 am

thanx guys - very helpful.

trizz, do u know what the name of that lip stuff was?

I've got a derm appt on thurs..

MemberMember
(@trizznain)

Posted : 08/30/2005 8:51 am

No, sorry I forgot to check. I will check tonight for you though.

MemberMember
(@trizznain)

Posted : 08/30/2005 7:39 pm

It's called Prevex HC Cream 1% (Hc 1%/petro/cyclomethicon 1%)

MemberMember
(@tkefsc)

Posted : 08/31/2005 12:59 am

all that stuff pretty much goes away maybe like 90 days after you quit it. Stick it out if you can

MemberMember
(@whitedaisy)

Posted : 09/29/2016 9:47 pm

I recommend trying some pure lanolin. It is oil produced by sheep and usually used on sensitive nipples but this stuff got my lips back to normal after two weeks on roaccutane. I can't stand to have dry lips but this stuff works amazingly! It is super rich and it gives you a gorgeous glossy look like you have big model lips. I still use it now that my lips aren't as dry instead of lipstick because it looks really pretty. Actually this stuff moisturised my lips so well that I was able to wear red lipstick on my birthday which I doubted I would be able to. I was so thrilled with the results! Goodluck!