Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I dont know about everyone else but i feel so trapped by my problems. The consiquences of having bad skin seem to be endless! Relationships are out of the question, clothes have to be planned days in advance (as i have acne on my face, chest and back) holidays are ruined by it, im constantly aware off being in "bad light" i even have to be very carefull about the sort of jobs i apply for! I dream about what my life would be like if i had clear skin and it makes me soooo sad. I can bearly look in the mirror sometimes, my makeup never goes on right because foundation and tears dont mix very well.

It seems like i have tried everything, first they put me on the creams, i was on and off different types of antibiotics for years and years, then i had 2 courses of Accutane-they didnt work, my derm gave up on me and put me back on antibiotics for another 3 years, i tried the N-Lite programme which cost alot of money and involved alot of pain-didnt work. I have recently given myself a year off of medication in the hope that as i got older my body would some how heal itself. It hasnt. What now??

i know emma i feel you pain.i know it suks.i wish i had the cure.nothing i can say will help.i can just be here for you.this board provides alot of info and alot of alternative treatments.you gotta keep going.dont let acne take over your life.things can always be worse.

emma, that really sucks and i'm sorry that you're having to go through so much shit to not only clear your skin but to feel better. i think it's a good idea to stop medication for a small bit. personally, i would recommend stopping topicals too b/c they made my skin horrible, but that might just be me. have you tried cutting back on sugar/refined carbs/diary? it helped me tremendously. did accutane not do anything at all for you? have you checked yourself out for pcos/insulin resistance with an endocrinologist?

maybe it would help if you said to yourself something like "ok, from 5 p.m. - 7 p.m., i'm going to throw myself a pity party and cry and feel bad for myself and write down how i'm feeling. but the other 22 hours a day, i'm going to appreciate and applaud myself for doing the best that i can with what i have, and for trying to heal my skin AND my feelings. i am going to live with the conviction that i am worth just as much as anyone else, clear skin or not, simply because i am a human being with challenges and successes like everyone else. my skin might be my personal obstacle in life, but i will know that it is mine and mine alone, and that all the emotions that i have felt and all the knowledge that i have gained from it are uniquely my experience." oh, and this might sound stupid, but it honestly made me feel so much better for days afterward, but write down like 30 different ways to say that you are beautiful, like "you are as beautiful as the sun: radiant, warm, vibrant." and pretend that you're writing it for someone else, and if you'd like even give it to someone else, but i swear that after writing this stuff for so long, you internalize it and you begin to think it. i don't know, it might sound ridiculous, but it worked for me.

anyways, let us know how you are doing, and i hope that you feel happy.

Yeah i know, i see people on TV with much worse problems and i feel a little silly, but then it doesnt take the pain away. Its the first time i've been on here and its so comforting to see other people saying the exact same things as i have always thought about. E.g. some one mentioned really crap lighting in Gyms and Hotels, i thought i was the only one that hated these!!!

Thanks for the reply, i feel a little better now, i think im gonna go back to G.P tomorrow and get refered back to the dermatologist, see if there is anything new i can try, however we dont seem to be as up to date with treatments in the UK. Oh well, we'll see!

Thanks again x

Surprised accutane did not work for you. Lets hope and pray the antibiotics will. Don't give up hang in there.

Yeah i know, i see people on TV with much worse problems and i feel a little silly, but then it doesnt take the pain away. Its the first time i've been on here and its so comforting to see other people saying the exact same things as i have always thought about. E.g. some one mentioned really crap lighting in Gyms and Hotels, i thought i was the only one that hated these!!!

Thanks for the reply, i feel a little better now, i think im gonna go back to G.P tomorrow and get refered back to the dermatologist, see if there is anything new i can try, however we dont seem to be as up to date with treatments in the UK. Oh well, we'll see!

Thanks again x

Just another thanks for the second reply. I can really relate to you. I also stay away from any creams, lotions etc. etc. as they always made my skin worse. Accutane made a very slight improvment but didnt last after the medication ended. Maybe i could try again but im sure the derm said i could only have 2 courses of it.

With regards to diet, i try my best to eat well. I take vitamins daily, i keep fit, i dont smoke, i dont drink much at all. The only thing i do wrong is wearing makeup but unfortunatly thats not something i can stop doing. I do try to keep upbeat but its so hard sometimes.

Sorry to ask people to repeat themselves but if you could give me a few suggestions of new treatments to try i'd be really gratefull. Then i could mention them to my g.p.

Cheers everyone xx

have you tried changing your diet?i hate derms they are good for nothing and clueless if you ask me about acne.i have learned so much here.if you tried accutane already what else can a derm do for you?besides take your money and fill your face with harsh topicals and your body loads of antibiotics?i dont want to sound mean.but thats what i think of derms.

I dont know about everyone else but i feel so trapped by my problems. The consiquences of having bad skin seem to be endless! Relationships are out of the question, clothes have to be planned days in advance (as i have acne on my face, chest and back) holidays are ruined by it, im constantly aware off being in "bad light" i even have to be very carefull about the sort of jobs i apply for! I dream about what my life would be like if i had clear skin and it makes me soooo sad. I can bearly look in the mirror sometimes, my makeup never goes on right because foundation and tears dont mix very well.

It seems like i have tried everything, first they put me on the creams, i was on and off different types of antibiotics for years and years, then i had 2 courses of Accutane-they didnt work, my derm gave up on me and put me back on antibiotics for another 3 years, i tried the N-Lite programme which cost alot of money and involved alot of pain-didnt work. I have recently given myself a year off of medication in the hope that as i got older my body would some how heal itself. It hasnt. What now??