Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
electroscars

Question about sun

Okay, so I have a question that I'm hoping you can help me with. After you have a resurfacing procedure done, about how long do you typically have to "avoid the sun" for? Like how long until you can actually lay out in the sun without worrying about hyperpigmentation?

Ask your doctor, but I'm so paranoid that I'll get rough, red skin and the bits of brown spot on the forehead back after ALA PDT that I plan to wear a hat eternally... at least when doing outdoor activity. I already use SPF 30, on rainy days even!

Ask your doctor, but I'm so paranoid that I'll get rough, red skin and the bits of brown spot on the forehead back after ALA PDT that I plan to wear a hat eternally... at least when doing outdoor activity.  I already use SPF 30, on rainy days even!

hehe...me too! I am so paranoid. But I wonder how long we have to keep that up for. Is it just for a few months or even longer? hmmm...I don't mind wearing sunscreen, but I HATE avoiding the sun. I love hiking, biking, and playing outside too much to avoid it!

This all depends on how deep the procedure is. I have seen warnings to avoid sun for 6 to 12 months after deep resurfacing. It's best to be safe than sorry.

This all depends on how deep the procedure is.  I have seen warnings to avoid sun for 6 to 12 months after deep resurfacing.  It's best to be safe than sorry.

WOW...would that be like after having dermabrasion or exoderm? My procedure removed some layers of skin, but I am having a few spaced out so it wasn't as deep as it probably could have been. As long as I can be in the sun again in full force next spring when I coach lacrosse I'll be OK. I won't mind staying inside in the winter months at least!

I would avoid any prolonged exposure to the sun for a minimum of 3 months after a resurfacing procedure such as dermabrasion or CO2 laser. Your face is very photosensitive during this period. I started spending more time outdoors about 5 months after my dermabrasion (with sunscreen on of course) and think it's fine 5 or 6 months after your procedure. Keep in mind that some people and skin types may be naturally more photosensitive than others.

Lacrosse coach huh? Did you play in college? I played on a club team at my university a long long time ago.

I would avoid any prolonged exposure to the sun for a minimum of 3 months after a resurfacing procedure such as dermabrasion or CO2 laser.  Your face is very photosensitive during this period.  I started spending more time outdoors about 5 months after my dermabrasion (with sunscreen on of course) and think it's fine 5 or 6 months after your procedure.  Keep in mind that some people and skin types may be naturally more photosensitive than others.

Lacrosse coach huh?  Did you play in college?  I played on a club team at my university a long long time ago.

Thanks for the info Kooky! I did not play lax in college; although I wish I did. I played in high school and coached. I love it! I hate avoiding the sun. The ideal thing would be to do some sort of resurfacing procedure in the Fall so you can be in the sun again by the spring/summer. I simply cannot avoid the sun in the summer because my family has a lakehouse that we go to and everyone is always basking out on the dock....I would feel awful if I was trapped inside!!