Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jeffh

treatment of acne scars with trichloroacetic

1: Dermatol Surg. 2002 Nov;28(11):1017-21; discussion 1021. Related Articles, Links

Focalacid treatment of acne scars with trichloroacetic : chemical reconstruction of skin scars method.

Lee JB, Chung WG, Kwahck H, Lee KH.

Leejiham Skin Clinic and Department of Dermatology, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea.

BACKGROUND: Acne scarring is a common complication of acne and yet no appropriate and effective single treatment modality has been developed. We suggest a technique consisting of the focal application of higher trichloroacetic acid (TCA) concentrations by pressing hard on the entire depressed area of atrophic acne scars. This technique is called chemical reconstruction of skin scars (CROSS) by the authors. OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the clinical effects of CROSS on atrophic acne scars in dark-complexioned patients. METHODS: An analysis was conducted of 65 patients with atrophic acne scars who were treated with CROSS in our hospitals between July 1996 and July 2001. Thirty-three patients were treated with 65% TCA CROSS and 32 patients were treated with 100% TCA CROSS. All patients had Fitzpatrick skin types IV-V. RESULTS: Patient treatment data indicated that 27 of 33 patients (82%) (the 65% TCA group) and 30 of 32 patients (94%) (the 100% TCA group) experienced a good clinical response. All patients in the 100% TCA group who received five or six courses of treatment showed excellent results. Good satisfaction rates in the 65% and 100% TCA groups were recorded. There were no cases of significant complication. CONCLUSION: CROSS is a safe and very effective single modality for the treatment of atrophic acne scars with no significant complications.

Publication Types:

Evaluation Studies

PMID: 12460296 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE

1: Dermatol Surg. 2002 Nov;28(11):1017-21; discussion 1021. Related Articles, Links 

Focalacid treatment of acne scars with trichloroacetic : chemical reconstruction of skin scars method.

Lee JB, Chung WG, Kwahck H, Lee KH.

Leejiham Skin Clinic and Department of Dermatology, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea.

BACKGROUND: Acne scarring is a common complication of acne and yet no appropriate and effective single treatment modality has been developed. We suggest a technique consisting of the focal application of higher trichloroacetic acid (TCA) concentrations by pressing hard on the entire depressed area of atrophic acne scars. This technique is called chemical reconstruction of skin scars (CROSS) by the authors. OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the clinical effects of CROSS on atrophic acne scars in dark-complexioned patients. METHODS: An analysis was conducted of 65 patients with atrophic acne scars who were treated with CROSS in our hospitals between July 1996 and July 2001. Thirty-three patients were treated with 65% TCA CROSS and 32 patients were treated with 100% TCA CROSS. All patients had Fitzpatrick skin types IV-V. RESULTS: Patient treatment data indicated that 27 of 33 patients (82%) (the 65% TCA group) and 30 of 32 patients (94%) (the 100% TCA group) experienced a good clinical response. All patients in the 100% TCA group who received five or six courses of treatment showed excellent results. Good satisfaction rates in the 65% and 100% TCA groups were recorded. There were no cases of significant complication. CONCLUSION: CROSS is a safe and very effective single modality for the treatment of atrophic acne scars with no significant complications.

Publication Types:

Evaluation Studies

PMID: 12460296 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE

Ha,

I found this site about a week ago.Its a very good website,I'm glad i found it.I've done TCA cross quite a few times with good results.That works about as well as anything I've done for acne scars.I've been doing home peels for 20+ years along with Co2 and liquid nitrogen freezing.

Jeff

Ha,

I  found this site about a week ago.Its a very good website,I'm glad i found it.I've done TCA cross quite a few times with good results.That works about as well as anything I've done for acne scars.I've been doing  home peels for 20+ years along with Co2 and liquid nitrogen freezing.

Jeff

100% TCA for the cross and 50% for the cheek area.I used 40% sal acid for years,100% glycolic acid more recently.I don't know which one worked better.I probably like freezing better than the peels.I had rolling scars that were for the most part completely smoothed with years of freezing and chemical peels.Like i've said before its still scars even though they are flat , the texture is different than the other skin.

I'm hoping retin A/supercop2x/scarfade and mederma or Silicone Scar Sheets will help remove or reduce the flat scarring.If I were you I wouldn't use the same strengths that I did, my skin has gotten very tough over the years and the 100% gylcolic/50%Tca or even the sal acid I used could be way to strong.A pharmacy mixed me up the sal acid in alcohol and was very inexpensive to use.I've also gotten a good frost from plain old wart remover.Like I said, what isn't to strong for me might scar someone else.

Jeff

Colin,

I've heard where some people apply Jessners solution on a degreased face before 35%TCA to create a medium peel.I've also read about CO2 before 35%TCA gives a nice peel.I think 70# glycolic before 35% TCA is also a good medium peel.The combo's above are suppose to give a peel like 50% TCA without the potential problems of the stronger concetration of TCA.

Jeff

Yeah I am sort of a newbie to peels in general. I figure I might try one later this year over christmas break maybe. Not sure yet. Sort of depends on the results of my needling and how soon I will try to smooth out my skin. I think I will start out with 12.5 and see where I go from there. I am still afraid. Oh by the way do you shave before you do a peel and if so how many hours after shaving should I wait? After doing the peel do you have to wait until the skin peels off to shave again?

I would do a mini peel like the 12.5 TCA you're considering...You may find it to be very mild and not have to "go into hiding".Over time it may work just find in smoothing shallow mild scars.I would usually shave before a peel and whenever I needed too.The peels didn't effect my shaving.If the 12.5 isn't strong enough go up in small steps..You don't have to get this right overnight,there may be alot of trial and error.

Good luck,

jeff

Hi Jeff,

I'm new to this board so I just read about TCA Cross courtesy of your post. It looks promising. But it sounds like long-term usage will destroy your skin. Also, if you have seen promising results on your depressed scars, how come you've had to use it for 20+ years?

Good luck.g

I would do a mini peel like the 12.5 TCA you're considering...You may find it to be very mild and not have to "go into hiding".Over time it may work just find in smoothing shallow mild scars.I would usually shave before a peel and whenever I needed too.The peels didn't effect my shaving.If the 12.5 isn't strong enough go up in small steps..You don't have to get this right overnight,there may be alot of trial and error.

Good luck,

jeff

Hi Jeff,

I'm new to this board so I just read about TCA Cross courtesy of your post.  It looks promising.  But it sounds like long-term usage will destroy your skin.  Also, if you have seen promising results on your depressed scars, how come you've had to use it for 20+ years?

Good luck.g

Good luck,

jeff

Hi Jeffh, you really caught my attention over here with your freezing method. I never heard of this before ... will you please explain (in detail, step by step) your freezing method and.. did you use this method for indented scarring? Thanx.. biggrin.gif

2more things jeffh...

- where did u purchase 100% tca? after reading about its possible temporary effect instead ofpermanent, i decided to try higher concentrations than 50%. i might make it at least 75% tca

- when u did the peels did u just spot treat them? full face? did u only apply it to smooth surfaces and not to the scars?

thanks! im also interested in your freezing technique smile.gif

I got the TCA from a dermatologist and I also bought some online.The 100% was spot and 35-50% was cheeks.I applied the 35-50/TCA to my cheeks which had rolling type of scars

Rubbing the dry-ice dipped in acetone over the scars seemed to freeze the higher point better than the acid too me.I used the cross to try and fix the low points.