Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
whatupdoc

vitamin E and omega 3?

what will vitamin E and omega 3 do/help while i'm on accutane? will it help with the dryness? also one more question, can i take accutane, vitamin E and omega 3 at the same time or should i wait awhile between each?

I took them all at the same time cuz that was when I ate, and you should take them with food. E and Omega are great!

Best of luck!

vit e is "supposed" help with dryness.

Omega 3 is an EFA, essential fatty acid, and it acts as an anti-inflammatory. It can be beneficial for dry eyes, muscle pain, and anything of that nature. I STRONGLY recommend fish oil supplement while on tane.

Personally, I can't live with fish oil right now. If i don't tak emy fish oil, my already painful back gets WAY WORSE! (OFF tane 2months and still dealing with back pain)

I saw a quote from a derm who said that the fish oil (not cod liver oil!) can significantly reduce the elevated triglycerides caused by Accutane, which can allow you to remain on the med at a higher dose than you could without it. Anecdotally, it is reported to ease the joint aches and possibly the late-course hair loss associated with Accutane, but i've seen no studies that confirm it. I plan on taking it if my blood work checks out ok to start a course in a week or so.

Vitamin E is purported to be helpful in easing the uncomfortable side effects, but i saw a study somewhere (sorry, i haven't been able to locate it) where it's effect was the same as placebo, and new information indicates that high doses of Vitamin E are not harmless as once beleived. I'd just stick with the RDA on this one.