Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Inty

Can you ever have too much Vitamin C?

one serving of fruit and/or vegetables can give you 100% DV of Vitamin C so I'd say you should be getting AT LEAST 500% DV of vitamin C

I take 500mg per day. I recommend not taking more than that.

Vitamin C has little if any toxicity. Some people take several grams per day.

heh don't worry about it.. you should be able to take 2000-3000 mg of vitamin C per day and be perfectly fine.

In fact, there's a huge debate on how much you need

Whenever I take a lot my skin looks great, but I know I'm taking TOO much if I start getting diahera. It's basically my body's way of telling me I've had enough. (like 6000 in a day should give you diaherea

heh don't worry about it.. you should be able to take 2000-3000 mg of vitamin C per day and be perfectly fine.

In fact, there's a huge debate on how much you need

Whenever I take a lot my skin looks great, but I know I'm taking TOO much if I start getting diahera. It's basically my body's way of telling me I've had enough. (like 6000 in a day should give you diaherea

There's no real purpose in taking large doses because it travels through and out of the body fast.

It is best to squeeze a little lemon juice into water and drink throughout the day to give yourself a constant supply without risking the unknown consequences of mega dosing on any vitamin.

Nobody really knows what potential harm taking vitamins could cause, people are exposed to so many things in life it's impossible to really evaluate the long term affects of any one thing.

i heard that taking high doses for years can be reallly bad for your bones or something.. im pretty sure 200-400% of rdi is 100% safe though.. i myself probably get a minimum of 200% a day

I personally wouldn't take much more than a gram or two a day, and in DIVIDED DOSES. That's an important issue, and it astonishes me that it doesn't get more discussion. I think the frequency that you take vitamin C is probably more important than the absolute daily amount.

I buy cheap 250 mg vitamin C tablets from the local grocery store. They are scored down the middle, so it's trivially easy to snap them cleanly into two halves. I generally take one of those halves (125 mg) with each meal and at bedtime, and sometimes in between. The total daily amount I get is therefore somewhere between 0.5 and 1 gram (nobody nowadays would really seriously consider that to be a "megadose"), but there is a much steadier and more even level in my bloodstream than in someone who takes 1 gram once a day, or 500 mg twice a day.

Bryan

A while ago I briefly perused some papers by a doctor who recommended 10g+ per day. He was taking (if I recall) about 15g a day until he died in his nineties.

Since I was ordering other vitamins at the time, I thought I might as well give it a try. I've been taking 4-6g per day via time release capsules. I'm just about through one bottle and have not observed any effects, deleterious or beneficial, as of yet.

A while ago I briefly perused some papers by a doctor who recommended 10g+ per day. He was taking (if I recall) about 15g a day until he died in his nineties.

Since, I was ordering other vitamins at the time, I thought I might as well give it a try. I've been taking 4-6g per day via time release capsules. I'm just about through one bottle and have not observed any effects, deleterious or beneficial, as of yet.

I would just like to say........ you should be getting enough vitamin C already thru vegetables & fruits. So you shouldn't need to take any supplements. The guy who said that sipping on lemon water juice was dead on, that's the best way to get it.

If you want to take supplements, go ahead... in fact, I do sometimes too. However, If you want to be healthy and think of long term, then stop concentrating so much on the vitamins and concentrate more on the foods.

It would be better to take 1 liter of lemon juice per day than anything else.

k thx

I would just like to say........ you should be getting enough vitamin C already thru vegetables & fruits. So you shouldn't need to take any supplements. The guy who said that sipping on lemon water juice was dead on, that's the best way to get it.

our body likes to stay in homeostasis. overdosing on one vitamin or another could cause other vitamins to be out of wack, and possibly leave you deficient. i would recommend only 1-2g of synthetic vitamin c a day, especially if you are around a lot of air pollutants like cigarette smoke.