Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dh32

Extreme makeover shows affecting people

Just reading these posts I wonder to what extent all the extreme makeover shows are having upon young people (and older people too) with acne scarring. I mean it's nice to try to improve oneself but some people are going crazy and spending vast sums of money for questionable results.

I agree that extreme makeover shows affect our perceptions of beauty as a society. It seems as if our culture is trying to homogenize the way we all look. If the trend continues, in 50 years everyone will look the same---small noses, full lips, high cheekbones, strong chins/jawlines, straight white teeth, smooth plastic looking skin, liposuctioned and implanted wherever possible. Haven't you ever noticed that the people who go through these makeovers all end up looking like the same person?

I think some irregularities in a face can be attractive. Strong noses, slightly crooked teeth, etc. It is hard to accept my own irregularities (my scars) though. I am happy with the way I look (except for my acne scars), even though I am not "perfect" by today's standards.

In the end, plastic surgery is a personal choice. I try not to let our culture's obsession with it get to me too much. I feel those shows go overboard, in other words, several people have a feature that they would consider a "deformity", like my acne scars. I'd go on a makeover show to get them fixed, but I would not be okay with tampering with my other features in order to achieve this skewed "perfection" our society has, and we all know that's what happens on makeover shows.

okay...I'm done ranting. Good topic, BTW. biggrin.gif

I have only watched Extreme Makeover Home Edition and it has not affected me or how I feel about my acne scarring.

I've watched home edition also. It makes me feel twice as inadequate. Not only is my skin not great, neither is my home according to those shows!! By the way is that how you spell inadequate?

I have only watched Extreme Makeover Home Edition and it has not affected me or how I feel about my acne scarring.

I've watched home edition also. It makes me feel twice as inadequate. Not only is my skin not great, neither is my home according to those shows!! By the way is that how you spell inadequate?

Thank you kindly