Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Carys

The Accutane Show

wow cool Carys....25? Damn, I've never met anyone w/ that low a cholesterol level. Thats interesting you got the cetaphil cream, I was just gonna get some today or tomorrow....I havent been moisturizing, but all the people here have scared me into thinking I'll look I'll aged if I dont do it....so I'll try that one since I've heard the best things about it....reg cetaphil lotion feels too greasy for me. I'm going for my 3 month next week...

Hey guys!

Yoohoo: I use Raesin Images MMU for foundation and if I'm super moisturized, it looks awesome. But if I'm in any way overly dry, it looks like DUMP! As for my face becoming less red because I'm at my *magic* dose, that still left to be seen. I've already been taking 60mg/day for the past three weeks and if anything, my face had gotten REDDER! Not cute, but that's why God created foundation, right?

Login: Yes, you should definitely moisturize!!! I know how it feels to be a bit apprehensive about doing it, though. I've felt the same way when I first started loading up on the moisturizer, but if your face is getting super dry, it's worth it to protect it. Plus, it just feels better! Good luck at your Dr appointment next week!

As for the cholesterol thing, I have no idea why it's so low. The nurse guy kept asking me what I ate or if I exercise because he's never seen numbers that low before. He also said the lab had to do two tests just to be sure they weren't screwing up somewhere. I don't really do anything special, so it must just be genetics. NOw, if only my blood pressure was that great! (It sucks, last time it registered 132/101. EEK!)

Hey guys!

Yoohoo: I use Raesin Images MMU for foundation and if I'm super moisturized, it looks awesome. But if I'm in any way overly dry, it looks like DUMP! As for my face becoming less red because I'm at my *magic* dose, that still left to be seen. I've already been taking 60mg/day for the past three weeks and if anything, my face had gotten REDDER! Not cute, but that's why God created foundation, right?

Oh duh! We had this conversation about which kind of makeup you used. I can't keep everyone straight around here! :lol2:

Random Update, One Week and a Couple of Days After My Three Month Check-Up:

Skin is great. No new pimples, just silly red marks. No weird side effects, just the usual ones. Had the flu this week, but other than that things are going well. If I don't get a new pimple the week before my period this month then I'll know for sure this is working.

Guess we'll see soon enough. Hope everyone else is doing superdy-duper!

Glad to hear you're doing well. Is the end of your treatment near?

Well, I'll probably end it in Feb if I do the six month thing. Hopefully, that's what happens!!! I want to stay on the maximum time allowed, so I don't have a relapse five seconds after getting off this stuff!

Mkay, something new has come up: Joint pain.

My knees felt weird yesterday and today. Not super painful, but they feel somewhat sore. I was hoping to not experience this particular side effect (since it'll interfere with my workouts probably) but I just hope it doesn't get worse.

Anyway, it's just in my knees and not really anywhere else. Hopefully, that remains the case.

GRRR.

Well, I think I have one little noninflammed whitehead on the left side of my chin, in one of my old trouble spots. Kind of annoyed and dismayed. It doesn't hurt or anything, and is barely noticeable, but I hate it anyway. If it weren't for this one little "development" my entire face would be clear. And I don't know if anyone else goes through something similar to this, but since it is in one of my old trouble spots, I can't say for certain if it is a zit or just the weird texture of that area of skin. At any rate, I've been obsessing about it since I noticed it.

I'm kind of worried. This is going on month four here and this being about a week out from my period and I'm still getting blemishes, if this is a blemish. I realize this is nothing compared to "business as usual," but I'm still purturbed.

Irked!

GRRR.

Well, I think I have one little noninflammed whitehead on the left side of my chin, in one of my old trouble spots. Kind of annoyed and dismayed. It doesn't hurt or anything, and is barely noticeable, but I hate it anyway. If it weren't for this one little "development" my entire face would be clear. And I don't know if anyone else goes through something similar to this, but since it is in one of my old trouble spots, I can't say for certain if it is a zit or just the weird texture of that area of skin. At any rate, I've been obsessing about it since I noticed it.

I'm kind of worried. This is going on month four here and this being about a week out from my period and I'm still getting blemishes, if this is a blemish. I realize this is nothing compared to "business as usual," but I'm still purturbed.

Irked!

Carys'' I wanted to say hi.. I stopped posting as work and life has really kept me busy.. i just saw a little of your log and things to be good.. things are good here too.. just the same old.. my skin is looking better but I do still get a few but they go away quick.. i am on 80mg now.. and should be for the long haul.. keep your chin.. i don;t even think about my skin much anymore :).. i am loving life

Hey Twocanyan!

Good to hear life is treating you well. Yeah, for the most part I don't think about my skin too much, except right around my period! I guess I still get overly critical at this time of the month, because it was my "danger zone" as far as new acne sprouting up! And anyway, whatever has come up is by far so minimal compared to what I dealt with pre-'tane that I really should just quit obsessing!

Good luck w/the 80 mg/day! Hopefully, that'll be your magic dose and clear you for AAAAAAGES!

3 Months, 3 weeks: This is the usual dreaded week before my period and I have one small pimple on my left cheek. It's not a cyst, but annoying just the same. Again, this is not an area where I usually break out, so it's a little weird. However, this usually being the worst week for my face pre-'tane, I'm not going to complain too much.

Been having some heartburn these past few days. I decided not to take my fish oil pill this morning to see if that does anything for it.

That's all for now.

Month Four and a Week (probably) So, I'm done with four months of 'tane. My skin hasn't had a cyst in what seems like ages, which is wonderful, but I still get the odd noninflammed comedone. ANNOYING! I know I shouldn't complain, because it could be sooo much worse, but I got used to having totally clear skin for a few weeks. One teensy whitehead seems like such a big deal when you're used to not having any!!!

Overall, skin is great. No oil to speak of, and the heartburn seems to have gone down since I've cut down on the fish oil. I still take it, but not every day and certainly not twice a day!!!

I have my four month checkup at the Dr's tomorrow. Hopefully, everything comes out ok w/the labs again and I can get my prescription for month 5. Please, LORD, let me get it!!! :pray:

Hi KittyK,

Yes, my doc says as long as I can handle it, I'll be on for a full six months.

I had my Dr appointment this morning, and everything was good, so I got another month's worth of 'tane. However, my cholesterol was up a bit, but still well under 200. I think that may be because I've been somewhat going overboard with eating these past few weeks (SURPRISE, SURPRISE), so I'm thinking that is what the problem was. Also, I quit taking my fish oil pills. I went to the drugstore and got some "enteric" coated ones, because the other kind was giving me heartburn. Anyway, this formulation is supposed to digest in your small intestine, rather than in the stomach, so hopefully this will lessen the heartburn!!! I want to be able to continue on for the entire six months!!!!!

Other than that, lame. The dr found a swollen lymph gland but just said to keep an eye on it. Hopefully, that won't become an issue.

That is all for now!

Good luck! =)

For what its worth... I've been tryin to have a bowl of oatmeal every morning, I hear its supposed to help remove cholesterol...

Annoyed! Woke up this morning and saw a new pimple right smack dab in the middle of my left cheek! HELLO, this is the beginning of MONTH FIVE!!! I THOUGHT I WAS DONE WITH PIMPLES AT THIS POINT!!!!!!

It's small, but I'm POed just the same. Hopefully, this isn't a harbinger of things to come once I get off this stuff in Feb.

JEEZ, I'm so annoyed right now!

Well, I'm about a week into month five, and I have had a few little bitty zits come and go. Just tiny ones that seem to disappear within the day, but I hate them just the same. Still appearing in areas where I never had problems before, so that's sort of weird. No cysts since month two, though.

Anyway, aside from red marks my face is virtually pimple free. I wish I didn't have the red marks because I'd give up foundation!

Side effects seem to be nonexistant, aside from dryness of nose, lips, and skin. If I forget to moisturize too many days in a row,I get the freaky rash thing going on, but usually I'm pretty good about slapping on the moisturizer.

Anyway, now that I'm coming towards the end (hopefully, I"ll be on it for another month after this) I'm beginning to worry about the permanence of this drug--especially since the new IPLEDGE crap takes effect in Jan, I think. What if it's completely pulled from the market and I need to use it again? That will truly piss me off. IF that does happen (and I need another course), I'll probably fight tooth and nail for spiro. My mom's been on it for over 15 yrs and her skin is a trillion times better than it was when she wasn't using it.

I suppose I'm getting ahead of myself here. Overall, my skin is great, and I'm happy that today I don't feel like hiding in my house from the world in general. I sincerely pray it lasts.

Hi Carys,

Are your little pimples coming during the special time of month???? It seems as if I had read in some logs about how it flared up a bit for others towards the end of treatment. So are you supposed to do 6 months? I think my derm has 5 months planned for me.

My next course of action will be Spiro as well. That seems very promising as well.

What exactly is the IPLEDGE thing? I haven't followed it so not quite sure what all it entails.

Well, I'm about a week into month five, and I have had a few little bitty zits come and go. Just tiny ones that seem to disappear within the day, but I hate them just the same. Still appearing in areas where I never had problems before, so that's sort of weird. No cysts since month two, though.

Anyway, aside from red marks my face is virtually pimple free. I wish I didn't have the red marks because I'd give up foundation!

Side effects seem to be nonexistant, aside from dryness of nose, lips, and skin. If I forget to moisturize too many days in a row,I get the freaky rash thing going on, but usually I'm pretty good about slapping on the moisturizer.

Anyway, now that I'm coming towards the end (hopefully, I"ll be on it for another month after this) I'm beginning to worry about the permanence of this drug--especially since the new IPLEDGE crap takes effect in Jan, I think. What if it's completely pulled from the market and I need to use it again? That will truly piss me off. IF that does happen (and I need another course), I'll probably fight tooth and nail for spiro. My mom's been on it for over 15 yrs and her skin is a trillion times better than it was when she wasn't using it.

I suppose I'm getting ahead of myself here. Overall, my skin is great, and I'm happy that today I don't feel like hiding in my house from the world in general. I sincerely pray it lasts.

Hey Yoohoo,

Yes, they seem to correlate with my time of the month. I've always been unlucky enough to begin to break out about two weeks before my period is due, then clear during the week of and the week after my period. Anyway, this is the 2nd week before my period, so these little nuisances are probably in tune with that. At any rate, they're so mild and small (and thankfully few) that no one else can see them. Compared to how my skin was in August, this is absolutely a zero on a scale of one to ten. It just freaks me out, because I'm worried about how my hormones will affect my skin after the 'tane is totally out of my system.

Anyhow, my dr in the beginning said I would do six months, and I'm pretty sure if my next labs come back ok that I'll continue on for one more. Even if she, for some reason, decided to not put me on it for the last month, I'd probably beg her to the edge of sanity to let me stay on it for thirty more days. I mean, why not? Wouldn't it just be more insurance that it won't come back? I just hope she stays on the original track and that I can actually do one more month!

The IPLEDGE thing, as I understand it, is basically the same thing that women have to go through now while on 'tane (taking bcps, using two forms of bcp, monthly blood tests, etc) except that the FDA will be monitoring it more closely, actually getting the names of every patient that is on it. From what I've heard/read, this is the last ditch effort on the part of 'tane manufacturers to ensure that the drug is being used in a correct manner and to prevent pregnancies from occuring while on the drug. If they can't do this, then supposedly this would be enough for the FDA to yank the drug from the market. Hopefully, this won't happen.

Hope you're doing good with your treatment and that we'll both be really clear for a LONG time!!!!!!

Happy NEW YEAR!!

Well, today I decided to do something different, something I haven't done in almost nine years: Go outside not wearing foundation.

I did wear a little makeup. I put on some concealer underneath my eyes (otherwise, I'd look dead) and also put some blush on my cheeks, and of course I also put mascara on. Finally, I dusted on some translucent powder to get rid of any shine, and I felt I was ready to face my day.

I'll be honest, I think it'll take some time getting used to seeing myself not so heavily made up. I still have red marks, but with the blush on it doesn't seem too noticeable. I even have a bit of a rashy spot on my left cheek, but it's not too bad looking right now. Don't get me wrong, my face certainly doesn't look flawless like it does with some mineral foundation on, but it's not as bad as I imagined it would be. In fact, my husband commented that I look almost exactly the same as when I do have full-face makeup on, ecept I seem more real-looking. Anyway, I hope I can keep this up. I think as long as I don't breakout like I did back in August any time soon I'll be able to stay with my more "natural" makeup regimen.

Part of me feels excited to be able to go back to my old mainstays, like when I was in high school. Sort of like recapturing a part of myself that I thought was gone forever.

I hope everyone has a good New Year's and that we all can be clear for 2006.

Hmm, today I'm depressed. I just really looked at my face in daylight, at that EVIL angle that anyone who's had acne knows it the worst one for looking at your face. Anyway, even though I have practically zero acne, I have so many scars. I guess that's life, though. The thing that really annoys me, however, is that many of these scars (actually pretty much all of them) are from my time before 'tane. Even the "new" ones on the sides of my chin are from the August "Infallible" fiasco. I'm depressed that my skin is so jacked from suffering with acne for so long, and I wish I would have just fought for 'tane sooner.

Anyway, just rambling here. I can't believe that my husband thinks I'm cute this way. I hate it!

Well, it's been a few days since scrapping the foundation and all is well, I guess. I still have red marks, but I just use a tiny bit of concealer on the trouble areas and under my eyes (circles) and it seems to cover them well enough. Still getting used to seeing myself without it, which is hard!

I've also noticed my face is so much redder than my neck! I know that this could return to normal once I get off 'tane, but my dr wants me to use Retin-A Micro after I"m done, which does make my face red. I like the idea of not wearing foundation anymore (since I always felt like I was being fake with it on), but I'm not excited at the prospect of having a red face for the rest of my adult life. Grr, troublesome skin is so annoying.

As for zits, I have a tiny baby zit on my upper forehead. Other than that, nothing to speak of. Have my five month appointment next Wed! Please pray I can get my last month's worth of pills!

Hey congrats on the no makeup thing! That is a huge step....at least it is for me. I have found that I don't put makeup on when I am planning to stay home and have a schlep day....which is BIG for me....because you know when you don't put makeup on you always get someone at the door. It was funny, one day my neighbor came to pick up my daughter and I went out and we started talking while she was in the car and I went back in and I was like OH Crap, I didn't have makeup on! :lol2: But really a lot of the mom's I know that have stay home days don't get all dolled up.....so I need to let that go at least! I can't believe you can wear blush though. My cheeks are so red that I think it'd look real bad to have blush on.....

I probably ask this everytime I come in here, and I'm too lazy to back track...but how far in are you and how much longer to go?

Happy NEW YEAR!!

Well, today I decided to do something different, something I haven't done in almost nine years: Go outside not wearing foundation.

I did wear a little makeup. I put on some concealer underneath my eyes (otherwise, I'd look dead) and also put some blush on my cheeks, and of course I also put mascara on. Finally, I dusted on some translucent powder to get rid of any shine, and I felt I was ready to face my day.

I'll be honest, I think it'll take some time getting used to seeing myself not so heavily made up. I still have red marks, but with the blush on it doesn't seem too noticeable. I even have a bit of a rashy spot on my left cheek, but it's not too bad looking right now. Don't get me wrong, my face certainly doesn't look flawless like it does with some mineral foundation on, but it's not as bad as I imagined it would be. In fact, my husband commented that I look almost exactly the same as when I do have full-face makeup on, ecept I seem more real-looking. Anyway, I hope I can keep this up. I think as long as I don't breakout like I did back in August any time soon I'll be able to stay with my more "natural" makeup regimen.

Part of me feels excited to be able to go back to my old mainstays, like when I was in high school. Sort of like recapturing a part of myself that I thought was gone forever.

I hope everyone has a good New Year's and that we all can be clear for 2006.

Hey Yoohoo,

Well, I'm almost done with month five, and hopefully I'll get one more month's worth of meds to finish out a six month course.

Thanks for your words on the no-makup stuff. Unfortunately, I fell off the minimal makeup wagon today. I put foundation on! I was starting to feel ok without wearing the mineral foundation, but yesterday I got sunburnt really bad (just from driving around town, no less) and today I put it on just for the SPF factor. I'm too scared to use a moisturizer with SPF because most irritate my skin so bad. Anyway, I know from past experience that my face is usually red from Retin-A, and if I have to use that after 'tane my face will ALWAYS be red. I don't know. I just feel like where my face is concerned, I'm screwed to always have to wear makeup one way or another.

Anyway, thanks for stopping in on my self-pity party!!!! I shouldn't even be complaining since I haven't had a real zit to worry about since month 2. Hope you're doing better as well, although from the sounds of your journal, things are looking up for you!

Hey Carys,

I know how frustrating it is to find a sunscreen.....I do have a suggestion. I wonder if you could buy and try and if it irritated you could return it. I'm sure Walmart would take it back. But the spf 30 Eucerin Extra Moisture for Sensitive skin works well for me. This is probably one of the only sunscreens that doesn't irritate my eyes (well that I've found yet!)

Just a thought......don't sweat putting on m/u it's just gotta be nice knowing you're not doing it to cover up ugly pussy bumps!