Find results in...
Carys

The Accutane Show

Decided to post my regimen, in case anyone was curious:

A.M.

Wash with Purpose gel in shower

Moisturize face with dime-sized amount of Cetaphil

Moisturize lips with Aquaphor

Moisturize body with Eucerin Daily Renewal (this stuff is AMAZING for those weird rashes that can come up!)

Makeup Routine

Cover red spots/undereye circles with Mary Kay Full-Coverage Concealer in Ivory (used sparingly!)

Lightly apply J. Lynne mineral makeup foundation in Fair Warm 0.8 with a chisel brush

Lightly apply Clinique Blushwear in Shy Blush with finger, blending into foundation on apples of cheeks

Lightly dust Aloette's bronzer over cheeks and bridge of nose

Set with a light dusting of Almay's Clear Complexion pressed powder in translucent

Apply one coat of Aloette mascara to lashes

Reapply Aquaphor throughout the day, as needed

P.M.

Remove makeup with Purpose gel cleanser

Apply aloe vera gelly to red marks

Slather on one more good coat of Aquaphor before hitting the sack!

That's my day, skincare-wise, in a nutshell. :wub:

Oh yes, I also take one 20 mg pill in the a.m. w/a glass of chocolate milk, along with an Omega-3 and vitamin E and Ortho-Tri-Cyclen. In the evenings, I take another 20 mg pill with one more Omega-3. In the next week or so, I'll be taking two 20 mg pills when I up my dose to 60 mg/day.

I just got back from the dentist's and he said my gums are ok. The weird bleedy spots and the sores are more likely canker sores that are flaring up due to the Claravis. He said I definitely need a to get a cleaning (happening tomorrow afternoon) but besides that everything else looked ok. The canker sores will have to dissipate on their own and that kind of sucks, but at least I know it isn't gingivitis or, worse, periodontitis.

He also said that my teeth are starting to wear weirdly because I tend to clamp down on my teeth a lot, which is definitely true. I don't ever grind my teeth, though. He suggested a mouth guard if my insurance will cover it to prevent my teeth from getting too stressed. We'll see about that one.

Other than that, not much else. I just hate going to the dentist's sometimes, especially when they poke around in your mouth and smear your makeup all to hell and back. Actually, for a mineral foundation this didn't come off as much as I would have thought it might. And he was not gentle with my face at all when he was probing my gums with the little spiky metal pick. Stretching my mouth all over the place and spraying water everywhere!!! GAH. I'm not looking forward to going back tomorrow for my cleaning, but at least I'll have enough time to fix my makeup before my physics class starts in the evening.

Ok, well enough boring ramblings for now! Must go study or something.

I just wanted everyone to know that I woke up this morning to find my upper right eyelid completely inflammed and swollen.

What the Hell!?!? :evil: If it's not one thing, it's something else.

I hate going to the Dentist...I have to go tomorrow to get a perm. crown put in! I've had the temp. crown for 3 weeks and it is still sore, so I'm really dreading tomorrow!!!

Anyway, I'm a teeth clincher and grinder and I wear a mouth guard......it was expensive, but I can't live without it. My dh was told by the dentist to get a mouthguard as well, but he didn't want to spend the money, so the dentist suggested the Dr. Choice Mouth Guard. It is under $25 and you can get it at Walmart, Walgreens, Rite Aide......It requires boiling it in water to get a perfect fit for your mouth. My dh really likes his....and it was much more affordable.

Weird about the swollen eye! Wonder what is up with that? It's not a pimple is it? Just a swollen eye?!

Oh, I also remembered something I was going to tell you......for your canker sore.....the fast way to get rid of them that I have found and it hurts like a !#$!#@$ but swishing your mouth with Listerine Mouthwash. It will clear those stupid things up so much faster.....kills all the bacteria that the canker sore feeds on! Usually if I do listerine and the very onset of a canker sore it goes away REAL fast (like a day) but if I wait I can still clear them up in about 2 days! I have my 9 y.o. daughter do this, she hates it, but it works for her canker sores to go away quicker too. Oh and one last thing about canker sores.....mine tend to flare up most around my period....so if I take Lyseine (sp???) just before my period I won't get any!

HTH

Hey Yoohoo,

Thanks for the reply and the suggestion!

As for my eye, I went to the doc's and found out it's called a chalaizon, which is sort of like a sty, but deeper within the eyelid. BEAUTIFUL.

Anyway, all I can do for it is put hot compresses on it a few times a day and wait for it to go down on its own. LOVELY!

Hope you're well!

Hey Yoohoo,

Thanks for the reply and the suggestion!

As for my eye, I went to the doc's and found out it's called a chalaizon, which is sort of like a sty, but deeper within the eyelid. BEAUTIFUL.

Anyway, all I can do for it is put hot compresses on it a few times a day and wait for it to go down on its own. LOVELY!

Hope you're well!

Owie!!!!!!!! That sounds so painful! Hope it clears up soon!!!!!!

Two Months and One Week Update: I figured I should give a proper update, seeing as how I've been slacking on the journaling process.

I've been upped to 60 mg/day and have been taking that dose since Sunday, and already I can see things happening more than they were in the previous weeks. Like a zit that I had that was going away has suddenly become "swollen" with new life. I also have two other zits on that same side, but they're much smaller and I hope to be rid of them by the weekend. This other one that was fading out that has come back to life, however, seems a bit bigger and more determined to hang out for awhile. Thankfully, none of these new blemishes are on the front of my face, but under the jaw where they aren't as noticeable. I'm pretty sure this new crop is due to me upping my dose and hopefully within the next week or so, they'll go away. Other than that, the rest of my face is awesome, save the damn red marks from August. I wish the hell those would go away because I might be willing to go without makeup then.

Side effects have seemed pretty much the same. I think my face has become a bit drier, which is fine. I have that damn chalaizon on my eyelid, but after putting some compresses on and using J&J Baby shampoo on it (doc told me to!) it seems to have gone down a bit over the course of the last 24 hrs. I hope it goes away completely soon!! I'm tired of not being able to wear mascara because it looks like I'm tired all the time!

I still get the palpitations, but not as frequently as before. I'm hoping once I'm done with the medicine they'll go away completely, as I've read that can be a side-effect of having too much Vit A in your system.

Well, that about sums it up. I'm hoping by the end of this month that I'll not be having to worry about any more new zits. Guess we'll see about that, though!

Soooo, today I woke up to a weird little zit on my upper right cheek. I almost never get zits there, so I'm positive this is because of my upped dosage. I also noticed that my nose (not the rest of my face) was oily halfway through the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GRRR! I'm sure this is also the 'tane pushing crap out of my face as well.

CAUTION: Do not scrub your face while on 'tane. I accidentally used too much pressure to remove some dead skin on the underside of my jaw two nights ago and now I have this rough, eczema like patch of skin under my jawline. IT is OH-so-attractive! I've been putting lotion on it to try and get it to go away, but it's proven to be quite stubborn.

I'm just glad I don't have school today and can basically hibernate in my house. BLEARGH.

Two and a Half Months Update!!! Well, I've been on 60 mg/day for one week so far and things have been great!!! My side effects seem to be going away, which is weird because I figured with an increased dose I'd be really hurting right now! I have had a few new zits, but they all seem to be going away now. Unfortunately, I have one "marble" under my chin, which isn't visible to anyone, but it bugs me. Anyway, I'm hoping this increased dose will get rid of it!!! '

And guess what else I figured out finally? The cause of my palpitations!!!!!!!!!! Obviously, I figured they were somehow linked to my 'tane usage, but I finally realized what was also contributing to it the other day when we ran out of Ovaltine. Usually, in the mornings and evenings (and meals in between) I drink Ovaltine with my milk because I don't much care for the taste of plain milk. I had noticed since we had run out of Ovaltine (not shopping day yet and I was too lazy to go to the store to pick some up) and I'd been taking my pills w/out it that my palpitations had almost ceased. I finally took a look at the nutritional info on the back of the damn cansiter when we bought some more for my son (he drinks it, too) and found that one serving of Ovaltine has 50% of your daily intake of Vit A in it!!! I was drinking almost three to four glasses of the stuff on top of my 'tane dosage, no doubt causing me to have EXTREME levels of Vit A in my system which palpitations of the heart can be a symptom of!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I felt like such an idiot.

Anyway, since I've stopped drinking the Ovaltine, I haven't had a palpitation. :dance::dance::dance: What a relief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you, Lord! :pray:

So, everyone watch what you're drinking/eating!!!

Random update: Skin's looking great w/the exception of one zit hanging out on my right cheek. It's at a head and totally poppable, but I'm going to do the *right* thing and wait for it to dry up on its own. My face is fine overall, but like everyone else, I'm still pestered by the damned red marks left over from past acne.

I like my face so much better now, though. Obviously, I still use makeup day to day, but it's so much easier to put it on since I don't have to use half a tube of concealer each time, and it stays put all day long. LOVE not having to blot!!! That is probably the best part of being on 'tane!!!

Anyway, today I kept getting this foreboding feeling that even though things are teriffic right now, the minute I get off this stuff my skin is going to revert right back to crap-status. I think when I go to my next doc appointment I'll request to be switched to Yasmin since the OTC didn't seem to be working as well to help control the acne.

That's all for now!

Hi, Carys -

Been a while since I've been to the message boards. . . I've been sooo busy with school and everything - I hardly have time to breathe!

I am so glad to hear that your palpitations have ceased - if you are looking for a milk substitue, you might try soymilk. I think it has come a long way in past years - it tastes really good! If you get a vanilla flavor, it almost tastes like drinking melted ice cream. I have been a vegan (no meat or dairy) for nearly 10 years, but this past summer, I began drinking real milk again, just because it was quite a bit cheaper and I was (and still am) a poor student. Well, a couple weeks after I began drinking real milk was when my acne turned into this horrible raging disease and I started breaking out in multiple cysts at a time - things had never been this bad. . . I've heard that there might be a potential acne/dairy link - and from my experience, I don't think I'm going back to dairy. It could have just been a coincidence, but you never know. . . plus when you read about all the hormones that supposedly are in milk. . .

But enough rambling. I admire your restraint with the poppable zit. I would have been all over that one long ago! I actually just popped a very tiny whitehead on my chin last night - the first one I have had in a while. . . it is about "that time" again for me - so maybe that is why.

I'm on Yasmin now, and I guess it is okay for me at this point. Just to warn you, though - I experienced anxiety attacks with palpitations in the first couple months as my body adjusted to it. Not that this would happen to you - I think this is a fairly uncommon side effect, but just thought I would let you know. . . plus, I was (and still am) very emotional - I will cry over anything, and I mean everything. I have 2 other friends that I know of who are also on Yasmin, and they, too, say that they have become super emotional. . . but other than that, I guess I have no problems with it at this point. My periods were never very heavy or accompanied with bad cramps, so I really don't notice any difference in anything like that. And for the acne - I can't really say whether or not it helps with acne, since I have pretty much been on Accutane for the entire time I have been taking Yasmin. . .

Anyway, my 3 month is coming up soon - that marks the more than halfway point for me at least! Everything here is just moving right along. . . and it sounds like your course is now moving pretty smoothly as well! Congratulations!

Well, off to school - glad to hear that you are doing well!

- C.

Hey LL! Thanks for stopping by and letting me know how things are going!

Two months and Three weeks (Two weeks on 60 mg/day) Update: Well, it's the week before my period starts and I can see three teeny tiny whiteheads; one on my left side of my chin and two on the right side in the areas that used to be my "trouble" spots. This kind of has me worried because I haven't had a new zit, blackhead, whitehead, ANYTHING there in those areas since starting 'tane. Usually, before 'tane, the big old cysts would start out as innocent looking whiteheads and then BAM turn into big ugly freaking nastoids that stuck around for EVER. I'm hoping these "developments" are due to me upping my dosage and not just me backsliding in my progress.

Also, last night I accidentally bumped my chin with my thumb and actually sliced off some skin!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO, now on top of some possibly ugly ass zits coming up, I have a great little scab on my chin today. Hopefully, I didn't just accrue another scar, although I probably did just add another freaking member to the "RED MARK CLUB." I'm so annoyed today. Obviously, this delicacy of the skin is preventing me from extracting anything that even looks remotely extractible. That one zit on the top of my right cheek is STILL there, even though it's come to a head. WHY THE HELL DOESN'T IT DRY UP AND DIE ALREADY? DAMN. Anyway, I' m just pissed off because last month at this time it seemed like my freaking breakout days should have been over while on 'tane, and now I'm almost to month three and I'm STILL BREAKING OUT. I guess I shouldn't be so damn picky because honestly it could be much worse. I'm just PO'ed right now.

Hope everyone else is doing ok.

Hey Carys,

I completely understand your frustration....not that I'm as far along as you, but I think with Tane even though you know the results can take awhile, you still hope that you'll be the exception! HA! I thought I was the exception. I was nice and clear a week ago, and then THIS weekend came....badda-boom-badda-bang.....NOT clear anymore. I had 5....most are dying down now though, finally. So I'll probably get set up for disappointment again....clearing up, only to have more come.

Today I took my first dose of 80 mgs. Holding on tight for more of the Tane Rollercoaster Ride!

I also have been giving my face a break from makeup as much as possible, especially after the fiasco w/the last foundation I used. (L'Oreal Infallible) After using that stuff, my face got SOOOO much worse than normal. I've since switched back to a mineral foundation when I do wear makeup and I think that has made a huge difference. When I was wearing the Infallible, I would get a new cyst every one to two days and the cysts that I did have on the sides of my chin seemed to stick around FOREVER and were much LARGER than usual. Plus, I started to get zits in areas where I NEVER break out, which was how I knew it was the makeup that was causing all this mayhem. What a horrible foundation for my skin! I only used it for 2 1/2 weeks, but it was enough to see that stuff was not helping me in the least!

Oh shit...lol. And all this time I was thinking it was the microdermabrasion and camellia oil that put my face into this hideous state a couple of months ago. I was using Loreal Infallible too. Worked great for coverage, but it felt so heavy on my face. Not too long after, my face got worse than its been in years, and I blamed it on the Epidermx microdermabrasion I was using. Well, could have been that too, but seeing how the Infallible was a nightmare for you also, thats probably the culprit. I started back with the Almay clear complexion line (concealer and foundation) and cornsilk powder, but the damage had been done. My face still hasn't begun to heal much. Now that I'm on Accutane, it prob wouldn't be a good idea to continue with the foundation and concealer with SA. I'm looking into the Bare Escentuals mineral makeup.

I'm starting accutane next week, and I want to know if you think it is worth it? I am really scared and I have been following your journal, and I want a perspective from someone on it to see if the dryness and hell is worth it for the results you have.

Wilmapug,

So far, my dryness hasn't been that bad. I'm a little flaky in the mornings, but that's probably because I'm usually too lazy to moisturize at night before bed. Using regular Cetaphil has been all I've needed (along with Aquaphor for my lips). You just have to moisturize and make sure to keep your lips and nostrils lubed up. I know it sounds icky to have to swab your nostrils, but it makes life sooo much easier in the long run.

Anyway, so far, my results have been worth the annoyances I've felt along the lines. My only fear now is that my results won't last once I'm off the medication! I love my face right now, for the most part. I'd recommend 'tane for sure.

Oh shit...lol. And all this time I was thinking it was the microdermabrasion and camellia oil that put my face into this hideous state a couple of months ago. I was using Loreal Infallible too. Worked great for coverage, but it felt so heavy on my face. Not too long after, my face got worse than its been in years, and I blamed it on the Epidermx microdermabrasion I was using. Well, could have been that too, but seeing how the Infallible was a nightmare for you also, thats probably the culprit. I started back with the Almay clear complexion line (concealer and foundation) and cornsilk powder, but the damage had been done. My face still hasn't begun to heal much. Now that I'm on Accutane, it prob wouldn't be a good idea to continue with the foundation and concealer with SA. I'm looking into the Bare Escentuals mineral makeup.

Anyway, I don't recommend Bare Escentuals because it has mica and bismuth oxychloride in it. I used a similar version of mineral makeup that contained those same ingredients and it was not pretty. First off, it made my skin look SUPER oily. Secondly, and perhaps the worst of the two evils, it made me break out in big, ol' cysts, too. Not as bad as the Infallible, but bad enough. I use Raesin Images mineral makeup now and it doesn't have either of those ingredients in it.

You can find it here http://www.raesinimages.com/Foundation%20Transform.htm at the website. I really like this brand because it's not too chalky and seems to match my skintone really well. Of course, I have zero oil right now, so I couldn't say how it stacks up to any amount of oilyness. It's fairly inexpensive, too!

Thanks, I'm going to check it out. Have you ever seen this website:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/mineralmania It is kind of confusing (for me at least!) to navigate through, but lots of reviews on all sorts of Mineral Makeups!

Almost done with month 3!

I go for my next dr appointment on Thursday. Hopefully, everything comes back ok. I'll go in Wednesday and do the blood stuff. Yeah, I REALLY look forward to that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

Anyhow, my face looks ok. No new zits to speak of. I had one small one under my jawline last week, which is amazing only because usually the week before my period I get at least one cyst. No cysts this month! WOOO! Still, my overall tone varies day to day. This morning, it looked fairly even and ok, but I still put on my makeup because I'm NOWHERE near comfortable enough to be seen without it, even when I'm pimple-free. I have my red marks, although some days they seem to be fading more. Hopefully, I'll be having a good "natural" skin day on Thursday, because I really want to be able to go to the dr's w/out putting anything on. She gets on my case every other time when I do, so I might just have to suck up my pride and go "nudely" in a couple days.

So, progress is going well. Side effects are pretty much the same old, same old. Chapped lips, dry nose. Today, I have some stomach problems (like diarrhea, ICK) but I'm thinking that was due to the meatloaf I made last night, rather than the 'tane. It was good tasting stuff, but my gut is making me regret it this morning. :eusa_sick:

Hope everyone else is doing well.

I am such an idiot!

I thought my appointment was on the 17th and it's actually tomorrow! UGGGG! So, basically, I didn't get my bloodwork done beforehand. Hopefully, this won't be a problem, but I think my dr will probably hold off on filling my prescription until the bloodwork is done. DAMN. That means I'll have to get it done after my appointment tomorrow morning, which also means I have to walk through the entire clinic w/no makeup on. HORRIFIC!

Oh well. At least I won't run out of 'tane during the time it takes to get the bloodwork done and all that jazz. Ugh, I'm so annoyed with myself! I just wanted to get in and out. GRR.

Official 3 Month Update: Ok, so I went into the doc's this morning (sans makeup!) and managed to do ok. Actually, I didn't feel so bad going in bare because my face wasn't that horrible, I guess. To me, it looks absolutely dreary without some kind of foundation and blush, but I suppose it could be worse. Plus, I don't actually know anyone at the clinic IRL, so it's not like I was going to have to explain my red face to anyone. At any rate, I did put makeup on when I got home but forgot to moisturize beforehand so now my skin looks funky with it on. I thought about washing it off, moisturizing, and reapplying it, but I don't want to dry my already SUPER dry skin out any more. I'll just grin and bear the funky-flaky look for today and maybe go without makeup again tomorrow, or at least a tiny amount in the areas that need it the most. I don't know, we'll see how it goes!

But I'm going off on a tangent here. . . .

Anyway, I only got one teensy-tiny zit on my jawline the week before my period, which is GREAT! No cysts this month, but my face is still red and I have some red marks. When I told this to the doc, she said that it seemed like to her that we had hit my magic dose and that if my bloodwork gets the thumbs up, I'll be able to continue on with 60 mg/day for another month. Unfortunately, I won't know for sure if I get to have my 'scrip filled because I had to get my bloodwork done after my appointment was over. She said she'd keep a look out for my results and fill the prescription paperwork out for me to pick up this afternoon if everything is ok. I SO HOPE IT IS! I always fear that my BW will come back bad! So far, the first two months everything was fine, but with my dosage being increased this last month I suppose the chances of having irregularities pop up increases as well. :pray: Please, Lord, let my bloodwork be ok!

Hope everyone else is doing well!

*Quick Edit* The nurse called me with my blood test results. Everything was good and I was able to get my month supply of 60 mg/day! Whoo hoo! He also asked me if I was a vegetarian, because my cholesterol was the best they've ever seen. (My LDL was only 25, which I guess is really good.) Anyway, I'm just glad I was able to continue my course!

Just something to consider: I bought some Cetaphil cream instead of the lotion (since my face was SOOOO dry yesterday and icky) and it's great! I think it's less greasy than the regular lotion and seemed to moisturize my face much better! My makeup went on like a dream today!

Good stuff!

Official 3 Month Update: Ok, so I went into the doc's this morning (sans makeup!) and managed to do ok. Actually, I didn't feel so bad going in bare because my face wasn't that horrible, I guess. To me, it looks absolutely dreary without some kind of foundation and blush, but I suppose it could be worse. Plus, I don't actually know anyone at the clinic IRL, so it's not like I was going to have to explain my red face to anyone. At any rate, I did put makeup on when I got home but forgot to moisturize beforehand so now my skin looks funky with it on. I thought about washing it off, moisturizing, and reapplying it, but I don't want to dry my already SUPER dry skin out any more. I'll just grin and bear the funky-flaky look for today and maybe go without makeup again tomorrow, or at least a tiny amount in the areas that need it the most. I don't know, we'll see how it goes!

But I'm going off on a tangent here. . . .

Anyway, I only got one teensy-tiny zit on my jawline the week before my period, which is GREAT! No cysts this month, but my face is still red and I have some red marks. When I told this to the doc, she said that it seemed like to her that we had hit my magic dose and that if my bloodwork gets the thumbs up, I'll be able to continue on with 60 mg/day for another month. Unfortunately, I won't know for sure if I get to have my 'scrip filled because I had to get my bloodwork done after my appointment was over. She said she'd keep a look out for my results and fill the prescription paperwork out for me to pick up this afternoon if everything is ok. I SO HOPE IT IS! I always fear that my BW will come back bad! So far, the first two months everything was fine, but with my dosage being increased this last month I suppose the chances of having irregularities pop up increases as well. :pray: Please, Lord, let my bloodwork be ok!

Hope everyone else is doing well!

*Quick Edit* The nurse called me with my blood test results. Everything was good and I was able to get my month supply of 60 mg/day! Whoo hoo! He also asked me if I was a vegetarian, because my cholesterol was the best they've ever seen. (My LDL was only 25, which I guess is really good.) Anyway, I'm just glad I was able to continue my course!

Hey Carys!

I knew your bloodwork would be fine, but I'm a worrywart and probably would have worried a bit too. Dang, Girl....how do you get your cholesterol so low? Are you a vegetarian??? Tell me, what are you doing???? I gotta get mine down lower now!

What kind of makeup do you wear....I'm having a hard time getting mine to apply well. But I'm going to try the Cetaphil Cream today to see if that helps.

So if you have found your magic dose does that mean that your skin should start to get less red now....will things start to normalize, do you think???

I know how hard it is to go without makeup! I think like you....I won't know anyone at the office, but I am so worried that I'll just bump into someone somewhere that I know and scary the crap out of them!!!

Cheers to another month.