Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Carys

The Accutane Show

Hey Itsy!

Well, I'm currently on 40 mg/day and this is going into my second month of treatment.  I have another dr appointment on the 17th of Oct, so I guess I'll bring it up to the dr then.

My skin is awesome right now, but that's why I'm worried.  I'm a little oily in the morning on my forehead and chin, but nowhere else.  I'm just a little concerned because I thought I should be SUFFERINGLY (if that is even a word) dry.  Other than the slightest return of oil, my face is doing awesome, texture-wise.  I just hope things are going the way they should be, you know?

Sufferingly isnt a word. But dammnit it should be!! i am sufferingly waiting for my derm appointment on oct. 11 so i could finally get accutane. and believe me i WILL get it. im sure the derm doesnt want to get kicked in the balls.

Ok, I don't know what the heck is going on but all of a sudden things are getting really weird.

My heart felt like it was racing last night and my pulse was pounding. I also felt like I couldn't sleep at all, which is really weird. At the beginning of this whole experience, I couldn't get ENOUGH sleep.

Also, as I was just cleaning my bathroom, my left eye started to feel a little itchy and I rubbed it just a teeny bit and, WHOOOM, my eyelids around that eye just swelled up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! shock.gif

I don't want to make a mountain over a molehill here, but I'm turning into a freaking hypochondriac on this stuff. I think the heart racing problem I had last night (and a few times today) could be me freaking myself out, but I don't know.

Other than those two weird happenings, nothing else has been going on. Face looks great, although I don't know if it's been worth the mental anguish of these past 24 hrs. I don't like worrying about my general health like this. I hope this feeling subsides in the next day or two, or I'm going to have to call my dr on Monday and have a talk.

I hope you're ok Carys...peoples hearts race occasionally for whatever reasons.....how long did this go on for though?..I totally get that you are thinking that it could be accutane...I would too....but hopefully you dont feel it again...and all will be well. With your eye, were you using any cleaners...windex...comet...something like that? Cuz that could explain that...

Anyway, give an update when you can...I'll cross my fingers for you.

Guest tenshigirl25

i think its just the mental anguish..i had something similiar once b4 and my eyelid felt like it was puffed and then it was ok and then it kept fluttering like a nerve in my eye..i was told it s because of nerves and some kind of change to your normal pattern..afterwards i clamed down and it went away..i never thought something like that would happn to me but it did..sleepless nights and basically just being nervy..but it passes, u just need to try relax some more.

Hey guys, thanks for your concern! wub.gif

I actually feel a little better this morning. I talked to my mom last night and it appears palpitations run in my family. She's had them since she was really young, to the point where she would spontaneously pass out because of them. But, she said that she hasn't had a problem with that for years mainly because she doesn't stress out about them. She was sharing relaxation techniques with me last night to try and help me out and I think they work. Plus, I was praying to the dear Lord, Jesus, to keep me from freaking out. The combo of the two worked and this morning I don't feel like my heart is bursting out of my chest.

I guess the heart thing could be exacerbated by the Claravis, although I doubt it's the cause of it. I also tend to be a big stress-ball when it comes to school and stuff, so it would be hard to say if this heart thing was brought on more by the medicine, school, or a combination of the two.

At any rate, I guess the best advice I can get is just what you all reccommended: RELAX! That's what I'm going to try to do. I'm also going to cut out most of the caffiene to slow things down a bit. But if things don't seem to improve rapidly, I'm going to call the dr and talk about it with her.

See you guys later and say a prayer for me so I won't have to go off this medicine! eusa_pray.gif

Week 6: So far, my face is doing really well. I have two small pimples, but that's way better than the norm for this time of the month. Usually, about two weeks out from my period I start to break out much worse. This is nothing compared to that and I'm very pleased.

Now for the bad: I'm anxious almost all the time now. I have to actively calm myself down or my heart starts to race and brings on the palpitations. Some days, it's barely noticeable and other days I feel like I'm going nuts. I don't really know what to do because I don't want to get off this medicine, but I'm sort of sick of worrying about my general health. I know it's more a mental thing, because when I'm engrossed with something else (coversation, schoolwork, cleaning, etc) I am not aware of anything wrong with me and feel fine. It's when I sit down and don't have anything else to think about that my heart starts to race and I feel a little swoosh-swoosh in my throat. I'm psyching myself out, here! evil.gif SO, usually I try to just relax and forcibly make myself chill out. Also, I've found that working out in the mornings helps calm me down as well, which explains why today I feel like a crazy person because I decided to sleep in instead of running. Won't do that again!

Anyway, my face looks great but my mind is going nutty, I think. I hope I can snap myself out of it. If I don't feel significantly better by my next derm appointment (week and a half away) I'll tell her what's up. It would SUCK so bad to have to get off this stuff, but I can't sacrifice my entire well-being because I hate my skin. At least when I was just breaking out, I knew I was in total control of the rest of my body. sad.gif Pray for me, so that I won't have to get off this medicine! eusa_pray.gif

sad.gif I have an EKG scheduled for today to see what the hell is going on with my heart.

I looked some stuff up on Google about accutane and heart palpitations and it turns out that supposedly the cardiovascular effects of isotretinoin are not well documented--although I saw quite a few lawyer sites that had people filing lawsuits because they felt accutane caused their heart problems--experiments on animals (in high doses) showed calcification of arteries, tachycardia, and palpitations. Wow, does that suck ass.

Honestly, I feel like I'm probably going to be getting off this drug soon because even though it could be a stress thing, my body has never reacted like this before to it. I mean, I've had palpitations before, but not this frequently. Plus, I've been taking my blood pressure every so often and it's still fairly high. If it's not hypertensive-level, it's borderline.

Anyway, this really sucks. Leave it to me to get some weird-ass side effect that most people don't experience. It's so weird because everything else has been going so well. No extreme rashes, headaches, joint pain, no serious initial breakout, I'm pretty much clear.

If I do have to get off this, I'm going to push to either get on spiro w/my GP or to get a referral to a derm who might put me on it. If I can't to 'tane, what else is there?

I'm so depressed right now. sad.gif

sad.gif  I have an EKG scheduled for today to see what the hell is going on with my heart. 

I looked some stuff up on Google about accutane and heart palpitations and it turns out that supposedly the cardiovascular effects of isotretinoin are not well documented--although I saw quite a few lawyer sites that had people filing lawsuits because they felt accutane caused their heart problems--experiments on animals (in high doses) showed calcification of arteries, tachycardia, and palpitations.  Wow, does that suck ass.

Honestly, I feel like I'm probably going to be getting off this drug soon because even though it could be a stress thing, my body has never reacted like this before to it.  I mean, I've had palpitations before, but not this frequently.  Plus, I've been taking my blood pressure every so often and it's still fairly high.  If it's not hypertensive-level, it's borderline. 

Anyway, this really sucks.  Leave it to me to get some weird-ass side effect that most people don't experience.  It's so weird because everything else has been going so well.  No extreme rashes, headaches, joint pain, no serious initial breakout, I'm pretty much clear. 

If I do have to get off this, I'm going to push to either get on spiro w/my GP or to get a referral to a derm who might put me on it.  If I can't to 'tane, what else is there?

I'm so depressed right now. sad.gif

Hi, Carys -

I am so sorry to hear that things aren't going well for you. I know how it feels to have anxiety attacks, though. I just started having them this past summer, and they really scared me, for I felt that I had completely lost control of my body. I am blaming them on school-related stress and just my general feeling of unhappiness with the current state of my life. . . I began seeing a psychologist and had a great amount of success with talk therapy. Your problem may not be psychological at all, but from your descriptions of symptoms, I feel that I have at least experienced something similar due to psychological reasons. Although I haven't experienced any anxiety attacks while on Accutane, I do think Yasmin initially increased the frequency and the intensity of my attacks. I was about to quit the pill, but then I decided that I wanted the Accutane again, so I kept taking it - eventually the attacks lessened and I am happy to say that I haven't had one in over 2 months. So I guess my point is that it is hard to say what may be causing your attacks, and maybe more than one factor is involved. . . so I am glad you are getting an EKG to rule out any cardiac-related causes. I wish you the best! And I hope that you are able to continue your Accutane course, as it sounds like your skin is doing great! (Mine is pretty good, too, by the way - no inflammed lesions at the moment - just a mottled complexion and quite a few blackheads.)

Anyway, please update when you know the results of your EKG - we're all pulling for you!

Best of luck -

- C.

Thanks, guys for your words of kindness!

Turns out my EKG came back absolutely perfect. So, it looks like I'm just a worry-wart. Add in the white-coat syndrome on top of it and you get the idea.

Anyway, the doctor prescribed me Klonopin to take when I feel an anxiety attack coming on. I hope that works!

Hey thats cool Carys....you and lemurlover started around the same time I did...it would have been a shame if it messed w/ you and you had to get off it...I hope the rest of your course goes relatively smoothly.

Glad to hear everything EKG-wise turned out okay. . . and don't worry about being a worry wart - I'm a pretty big one myself! I was presecribed Xanax for my anxiety attacks - it worked very well. . . hopefully the Klonopin works just as well for you!

And like Login_Name said, it's great that you don't have to stop your Accutane course! Hopefully all three of us will be clear by the end of our courses. . . the two month marks is right around the corner!

So glad to hear that things are looking up for you -

- C.

Well, I don't know if I'll have to stop my course because the doctor I saw wasn't my own doctor, actually. She was gone for some reason, so I'm sure she'll bring it up when I go to see her on the 17th.

Anyway, time for a face update: I'm now super dry to the point where I get flaky throughout the day. Kinda sucks, but at least I know the med is working. Also, I have only three small pimples in areas that I usually don't get them. This is cool because it is the week before my period, so this mini-breakout is nothing. As compared to where I was last month, face-wise, I'm in awesome shape. I've been getting the reoccuring rash on my arms that seems like excema (sp?) but it isn't too bothersome at the moment.

One bad development: my gums are a mess. Bleedy and one area has a pus-filled spot on it. This could be related to Claravis, but I think it's more due to the fact that I haven't been to the dentist's in over two years for a proper cleaning and I never ever floss. I've had mild gingivitis on and off for months that I've been meaning to get checked out, but I've been too lazy to make an appointment for the dentist's (WHAT AN IDIOT). Well, I made one today for next Tuesday and I hope the doctor can reverse whatever damage I have managed to do to myself. I swear I will never take my teeth for granted ever again!

Halfway through week 8: Well, I'm experiencing another mini-breakout, possibly having more to do with this being the week before my period than because of Claravis.

I have two zits under my jawline that are on my neck and a small cluster of whiteheads on my right upper cheek. Both are areas that I normally do not break out in, so I suppose that could be 'tane-related but I don't know.

Other than that, things are pretty much the same old, same old. Nothing earth-shattering to report except that I'm beginning to get a little on the flaky side. Some days, my face seems nicer looking than others, irregardless of new acne or not. This medicine is weird.

Well, one more day on the 'tane journey started! I go in for my two month check up on Monday the 17th. Hope all is good so I can continue this course. Pray for me, guys!

Well, the two zits I got a few days ago are looking like they're going down already. Wonderful! The strange patch of little whiteheads on my right cheek are still there and hopefully they'll just dry up and die without morphing into anything ominous.

Today, I feel relatively good. I had some weird joint pain in my left shoulder last night and for a bit this morning, but it seems to have dissipated over the course of the day.

*Edit* I should also mention that I'm not due to get my period until Sunday, but I've had some spotting already yesterday and today. I guess that's possibly a 'tane-related side effect, though. I'll take weird periods over more serious stuff, so no big deal!

Hey Carys...sounds like your doing pretty good. I'm just a little bit behind you. I started on 8-27 so I'm on day 55 or so. Its lookin ALOT better just some red marks and one or two active ones and overall redness. The only realy side effects i'm having is chapped lips, back aches, and itchy/flaking scalp. The thing that has helped me the most I would say is that for the last couple weeks I have been taking a shower only once every other day. Since most of my oil has stopped or lessened, and the fact that I don't do much activity (no sports this year) I can get away with it without stinking, haha. But that is mainly when most of my acne stopped and I doubt it was really a coincidence. But who knows. Anyways, here's to lasting clear skin for all of us!

Well, I don't know if I'll have to stop my course because the doctor I saw wasn't my own doctor, actually. She was gone for some reason, so I'm sure she'll bring it up when I go to see her on the 17th.

Anyway, time for a face update: I'm now super dry to the point where I get flaky throughout the day. Kinda sucks, but at least I know the med is working. Also, I have only three small pimples in areas that I usually don't get them. This is cool because it is the week before my period, so this mini-breakout is nothing. As compared to where I was last month, face-wise, I'm in awesome shape. I've been getting the reoccuring rash on my arms that seems like excema (sp?) but it isn't too bothersome at the moment.

One bad development: my gums are a mess. Bleedy and one area has a pus-filled spot on it. This could be related to Claravis, but I think it's more due to the fact that I haven't been to the dentist's in over two years for a proper cleaning and I never ever floss. I've had mild gingivitis on and off for months that I've been meaning to get checked out, but I've been too lazy to make an appointment for the dentist's (WHAT AN IDIOT). Well, I made one today for next Tuesday and I hope the doctor can reverse whatever damage I have managed to do to myself. I swear I will never take my teeth for granted ever again!

Do you know if dental work is bad when you're on Tane? I just started Sotret and before I started I got a temp. crown put in. In 3 weeks I go and get the perm. one. I get a couple of shots of novacain (sp?) and I think that is it. But should I be concerned?

Do you know if dental work is bad when you're on Tane? I just started Sotret and before I started I got a temp. crown put in. In 3 weeks I go and get the perm. one. I get a couple of shots of novacain (sp?) and I think that is it. But should I be concerned?

I'm not sure how dental work will be on 'tane, but I have to get something done about my gums. I'm thinking if it's just having to deal with the actual teeth, you shouldn't have any problems at all.

Twocanyan: I'm so sorry to hear you feel your face isn't so hot right now! I guess the upside is that if she's going to up your dosage again then that means your course will be more effective, lessening the chances of you having it come back.

I bet this next month you'll see major clearing, even if she ups the dosage. Usually, most people don't see a huge improvement till month three, so you're almost there!! I really hope you do see yourself clearing up rapidly soon!

I have my 2nd month checkup on Monday morning. I'm still on 40 mg/day right now and I'm hoping she'll up me on Monday so I can really get the full bennies out of these last four months! I'll pray for you so you do the same for me, ok!?

Later, tater!

Went to the doctor's today for my two month check up. She decided to up my dosage to 60 mg/day. I think that's the max for the rest of the course, so hopefully it does it's job.

She was kind of POed at me for wearing makeup to the appointment, but I showed her exactly where the spots were that I did have. Just the two under my jawline and not anywhere else. She said that was great and this extra bit of dosage should kick the crap out of the rest of it, but we shall see. And anyway, the only reasons I even wear makeup right now are that I still have red marks left over from the Infallible makeup fiasco in August and my face tends to be redder than my neck, which just looks funky. Sorry, I'm not foregoing makeup right now. Perhaps when my red marks fade a bit more, I'll be brave enough to consider it, but not until then.

Anyway, everything was cool and she said she'd see me again next month.

Hope everyone else is doing well.

Hmmm, how Ironic. I was just thinking this a.m. about whether I would wear makeup to my next appt. I hate going without makeup. It doesn't hide everything, just really tones down the redmarks and the redness.

I hope someday I can comfortably go makeup free!!!

Sounds like things are going good for you, though! Good luck with the dose increase! :D

Hey Yoohoo,

I don't really get why she's so weird about me wearing makeup to my appointments. I mean, when you get up close and personal with my face, it's pretty obvious where my trouble spots are and are not. Makeup just makes it look less noticeable. But what would she know about makeup? She has PERFECT skin and doesn't wear a spot of makeup at all. Sort of sickening, to say the least!

Thanks for your good wishes. I'll probably need them! I'm sort of nervous to go up on my dosage, but I realize that if I want to get the max benefits of this crap, then I have to do it. And, it is only for a few months so hopefully I can tough it out. As it is, most of the side effects (aside from the palpitation scare) have been really tolerable and I hope that doesn't change after upping my meds.

Well, I guess I should go get ready to go to school. I hate having class at night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to be scared to up my dose too. Of course assuming that it'll happen, which I don't see why it wouldn't.

I'll keep reading your journal to see how it goes for you.