Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Adam

Scar Formation

Does a scar just show up? I mean you pop a zit a couple of days later does it get depressed or does it take a while for the indentation. Does the area where you had a breakout stay red for a while and then depression occur. I mean... I just don't get it? Do scars take a while to show up and if you did have a zit and the skin is pink but still level does that mean your safe or can it eventually form a scar. I don't just mean regular pimples, but cyst or even reoccuring areas. I have had a couple of cyst on my forehead which left no scar at all, but recently I have gotten a reoccuring bout on the cheek bone area, and I was just curious about how to tell if its going to scar or not. Maybe there is no real solid way, but any feed back would be helpful

Its very hard to tell (IMO) if acne is going to scar, but if you pop a pimple, your chances of getting a scar jump up 200%.

In my case, while I had major acne, I didnt think I had any scars because the swelling makes it look like you don't (the redness, even a month after the pimple is gone.. it can still be swollen). Once the swelling went down, I saw I had scars.

Mind you, my scars are nothing like some of the people here. I have 2 shallow ones on my left cheek and 1 shallow one on my right as well as small ice picks. Nothing major, I just I say I got high sticked in hockey a few too many times (and the reality is I do have scars from high sticking in hockey.. but those scars look cool, acne scars dont)

Basically, yes.

After an acne lesion has healed, it can (might) leave a red or hyperpigmented mark on the skin. This is actually not a scar, but rather a post-inflammatory change. The redness or hyperpigmentation is seen as the skin goes through its healing and remodeling process, which takes approximately 6-12 months. If no more acne lesions develop in that area, the skin can heal normally. Any color change or skin defect still present after 1 year is considered to be a permanent defect or scar.

The hyperpigments are neither raised nor indented...I was asking if there are neither raised nor indented, and are relitivley new, then would they scar. Would it one day go indented, or does an indented scar occur immeditaly after the pimple has disappered.