Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jeffh

accutane was a cure for me.

Hi,

I took accutane for a 8 year acne problem that left me trying everything,which nothing worked ,that problably cost several thousand $$$ in the late 1970's and early 1980's.I tried Accutane the day it was released by the FDA in 1982.It was a miracle cure for me...I took 1.5 to 2.0 mg/kg per day which I personally think was the key to long term remission.I competed in bodybuilding contest for years after the acne was gone and took anabolic steroids, which is known to cause acne and still didnt break out.I know that is not the smartest thing in the world but I'm just stating the facts on what I did.Accutane is a CURE for alot of people and I think it

is dose related on what kind of effect one will get.I wish everyone here good luck and try everything you can to get your acne under control before you scar.Acne scars are very hard and expensive to help even a little bit.I hope the FDA keeps Accutane on the market...I've read some opinions where they think its a matter of time before the FDA pulls Accutane off the market.I guess you could still get it in the UK if that happens.

Jeff

I bet they didn't take the 1.5 to 2.0 mg/kg per day like I did in 1982.The orginial 14 test patients that tried Accutane in the 1979 Bethesda,Maryland study used 2.0 mg/kg and thats what I used. dematologist now prescribe 0.5 to 1.0mg/kg daily.I know everyone reacts differently but I think doseage is the key for alot of people.

Jeff

I took 120 to 160mg a day at 160lbs.The side effects were bad but it was worth it in the long run.I do know there are more side-effects short and maybe longterm with the higher doses but for a longterm cure i was willing to take my chances.When I found this website I was shocked at the people Accutane didn't work for.The 2.0mg/kg worked for everyone I knew and they had severe cystic acne.Granted,I only knew a handful of people other than myself but it sure worked for us.

Good luck all,

Jeff

Hi,

I took accutane for a 8 year acne problem that left me trying everything,which nothing worked ,that was problably cost several thousand $$$ in the late 1970's and early 1980's.I tried Accutane the day it was released by the FDA in 1982.It was a miracle cure for me...I took 1.5 to 2.0 mg/kg per day which I personally think was the key to long term remission.I competed in bodybuilding contest for years after the acne was gone and took anabolic steroids, which are known to cause acne and still didnt break out.I know that is not the smartest thing in the world but I'm just stating  the facts on what I did.Accutane is a CURE for alot of people and I think its dose related on what kind of effect one will get.I wish everyone here good luck and try everything you can to get your acne under control before you scar.Acne scars are very hard and expensive to help even a little bit.I hope the FDA keeps Accutane on the market...I've read some opinions where they think its a matter of time before the FDA pulls Accutane  off the market.I guess you could still get it in the UK if that happens.

Jeff

<I could not imagine having 2mg/kg of isotretinoin in my body, I had less than 1mg and I still have side effects years later. I would have probably died or something. >

It was tough believe me.I would go through chap stick everyother day.My lips seemed dry even after I got through applying chapstick.I counted the days until i was off isotretinoin.I hated it but i knew that was the amount most of test patients took and it is still the amount some people have to take to get rid of their body acne.I would rather take 2.0 mg/kg once than 0.5 to 1.0 mg/kg several times only to have it keep returning.

I felt like i was dying on it. I ain't gonna say all the stuff that happened to me, again. Don't take too high a dose.. it can kill you inside out. Stay with a moderate dose and you'll be FINE! eusa_angel.gif

DO NOT TAKE ACCUTANE.

Let me just say I was on it 6 years ago yeah it helped clear it up and then later it all came back. So I now have acne again. In any case it left me with dry eyes weaker body less hair dry skin and not my face ...my face becomes oily yet my legs and body are all more dry then they were before.

Yes it kill you on the inside and being so young at the time I would do anything to save my face and guess what it all comes back.

I mean really the reason of acne is hormones, stress, genetics.

All I can say is it sure did clear me up 23 years ago and I remain clear to this date.

Thanks for the post, Jeff. I'm always happy to read Accutane success stories smile.gif I tend to agree with you about the dosage. My progress on Accutane was rather slow, but my derm wouldn't up my dosage. I'm around 54kg, maybe a bit less, and I took 60 mg for 6 months. So technically I was over 1mg/kg, but I think I could have tolerated 80mg. I wonder if I would have had better results if I had done it this way. I still breakout a little, and I've been finished Accutane for almost 4 months now.

Mae

The orginial 14 patients were put on Accutane and boy did they have bad acne,all over their face and back. it cleared 13 out 14 longterm and the 14th about 75%.I think 2 out of the 13 had an occasional pimple that tradition methods cleared up.Remember these patients were the worse acne cases out of the worse.Your dematologist had to recommend you and then you had to be accepted and Accutane still cleared them.What I thought was interesting Accutane wasn't initially tested for acne but the researches found it cleared even the toughest cases of severe acne.I also think its a matter of time before the FDA pulls Accutane from the market.Accutane is on its last leg as we speak.I have already written the FDA and gave them my .02 worth about the matter.

Good luck

I love accutane and the side effects are worth it... I am off now and having some break outs but it is also hotter then can be here and I love to be outside so I have been sweating a lot, I think that is what is giving me little bumps, not bad acne like I had before though so I can deal with this.

Thanks for your great story!

i just finished accutane, and am very happy with the results. if my acne comes back, and enough time has passed, i'd do a second course without hesitation... (hopefully it won't come back, and if it does, hopefully, the damn govt will not have taken this miracle drug off the market).

i think many people doubt the long term success of accutane, because it is the people whose acne returned that post their disappointing stories. when i started to clear up, i was off this site for weeks and enjoying the life i had postponed for so long.

i have three friends who have taken accutane over ten years ago, and all three remain clear to this day.

under the care of a good and experienced dermatologist who is adamant about tests and monitoring your care, i think accutane is safe and effective and truly life saving (literally and figuratively) to many, many people including myself. i've got my confidence back--not to mention my social life.

Jeff, i think you are right about the dosage. Right now the trend is towards longer courses at lower doses, and while that usually clears the patient during the course, it seems to lower the chance of remission long term after the course. My readings on the dermatology sites seem to confirm this, yet derms are pressured to not use the high doses because of the side effects and potential for lawsuits.

Me personally, i took it about 15 years ago, and it completely cleared me for many years. I'm hopefully going to start a second course soon (gotta schedule bloodwork today), but it's taken that long for it to really return, and even then it's but a shadow of it's former self. Still just as resistant to conventional treatment unfortunately. I was glad when i talked to my derm to ask her feelings on dosage, she said she gives the highest dose the patient can tolerate. Hope my bloodwork checks out.

Jeff, i think you are right about the dosage.  Right now the trend is towards longer courses at lower doses, and while that usually clears the patient during the course, it seems to lower the chance of remission long term after the course.  My readings on the dermatology sites seem to confirm this, yet derms are pressured to not use the high doses because of the side effects and potential for lawsuits.

Me personally, i took it about 15 years ago, and it completely cleared me for many years.  I'm hopefully going to start a second course soon (gotta schedule bloodwork today), but it's taken that long for it to really return, and even then it's but a shadow of it's former self.  Still just as resistant to conventional treatment unfortunately.  I was glad when i talked to my derm to ask her feelings on dosage, she said she gives the highest dose the patient can tolerate.  Hope my bloodwork checks out.