Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chickcorea

the fate of milia

milia, those little flesh-colored bumps under the skin. i have quite a few of them, but they are only visible when i put tension to my skin (ie, put my tongue against my cheek). in everyone's experience, do all milia eventually come to the surface and become an active pimple, or do some eventually fade away into nothing. my regimine now consists of benzaclin in the morning and at night, amoxicillin 875 mg twice a day, and differin gel at night. the thing is, i haven't put the differin gel on, as i'm afraid of what hell my face would turn in to if all the milia were to come to the surface at the same time. i'm hoping the benzaclin and amoxicllin will kill or diminish the whiteheads. is that possible? what do you suggest i do? use the differin and go through that hell?

I have them around my eyes, but since I've been using Retin-A Micro coupled with daily doses of Bactrim DS, they've lessened. I think they usually just dry up and peel off with daily exfoliation/cleansing.

Chickcorea-- your post made me giggle as I just received Differin from my derm a couple of weeks ago--for the same thing-- and he promises that Differin will get it all out. eusa_clap.gif I have so many little tiny whitehead looking things on my chin and along my smile line area, but they really only show when I put my tongue there... and I was doing that for my derm... putting my tongue in various areas, asking WTF?

I've used a bit of Differin, but I've just been treating spots, as I am afraid of exactly the same thing. One night I did slather it all over my chin and the next day I had sebum snakes oozing out when I smiled-- pretty huh? But no really bad breakouts. The spot treatments do seem to make the pimples heal faster, and I had some flakiness. I'd think you could risk it for a few days since your on antibiotics...Good luck with it.

If they are actually milia, they will not respond to acne treatments. Sometimes blocked pores are mistaken for milia, and those might respond to acne treatments, especially retinoids. Actual milia are tiny sebaceous cysts (little sacs full of keratin and such) and to get rid of those you need a derm to cut them out and remove the little sac whole - if they don't get the whole thing out it will usually return, and lancing it won't work. They can use a tiny incision on milia since they are so small.

I have these on my neck (its so gross!) I've been using Tazorac on them and a cleanser w/ 12% glycolic acid for about 4 weeks. Its causing alot of them to become whitehead which I pop. It looks worse now (thank goodness I have long hair so no one can see them smile.gif ), I'm hoping because they're coming to the surface they'll go away. My derm said if they didn't he'd do acne surgery and cut them open like the previous person said. I'm giving it 3 more weeks.