Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
emit

Has anybody used [or know of anyone who has used] AQUAMID

The doc I have an appointment with on the 20th has suggested that maybe AQUAMID a permanent polyacrylamide filler might be beneficial for raising my depressed chicken pox scars.

Has anyone tried it or know of anyone who has - and if so how were your/their results?

I've heard of it, it sounds good because supposedly there is no need to undercorrect the scar - what you look like immediately after the procedure is what the results will be.

Of course this is only in a few countries, not the U.S., and I've already had Artecoll, so i cant have Aquamid as its said to be a contraindication.

I had Restylane injected into the scars two years ago and it did absolutely nothing but give me some bruising for a few days. It was a waste of money.

I'm hoping that the AQUAMID will be different because it is actually thicker and stronger substance than the Restylane and it is also permamnent whereas Restylane is not.

I read in another thread that when getting a filler it will not fill in scars with a border. I hope that isn't the case because my chicken pox scars definately have borders. I'm asking the doc about subscision before the filler injections to see weather he thinks that might give a better chance of raising the scar tissue up.

I'll have to wait and see I guess. I'm kind of out of hope in regard to fixing my scarring, but this is something I just have to investigate.

Unfortunately, if restylane did not help, it is unlikely that any other fillers will help. All fillers do the same thing, they simply plump up the skin.

Aquamid is a permanent filler in the hydrophilic polyacrylamide family. There are several other fillers on the market that are very similar. They seem to be the newest permanent filler fad. None of the fillers in this family are FDA approved. They are for the most part new (as far as for soft tissue augmentation), and each filler has had its' own set of problems.

I could not do this filler or any other filler justice by trying to describe them in a single post, so I suggest you check out the following two sights to research the (very broad) pros and cons of each:

http://www.yestheyrefake.net/injectable_fillers.htm

http://lipaugmentation.com/microimplants.htm

Emit, I also remember reading somewhere that you had LIS injections. If that is correct, you will want to discuss this with your physician. Aquamid does not recommend that their treatment is done in any sight where other permanent fillers have been implanted.

Also remember, the most important factor in the success of a filler is the experience of the physician. If you are interested in fillers for treatment, you should spend more time finding the physician than the filler.

Mark,

Thanks for the links - I will check them out ASAP.

As for me having had a permanent filler previously, I think you have me confused with somebody else. I have only had Restylane injected previously. What are LIS injections ...

Emit;

its a shame that Restalyn did not give you satisfactory results.

I've been getting it done for about 2 years now. I have it done every 6 months or so. The only things that I dont like about it, is that it leaves you with a red lump at the injection site for about 2 days, and the fact that it only last for 6 months or so.

I've thought seriously about Aquamid as well. However, anything that is permanent scares me a little. If it goes right - great. If it goes wrong, your living the rest of your life looking even freakier than the scars made you look. I guess it just comes down to how bad/good your scars are, and what chances you are prepared to take them to try and fix them.

I havent ruled it out long term - but I think that I'll just wait and see for a while.

Isolagen however, seems a lot safer! Now there is something that is really interesting! Not sure if actually works though?!

:D)

cheers

New4You

Emit where are you located. This has been offered in Europe for a while. It's popular here and many docs are offering it. Yeah if the filler goes wrong then it will be hard to get it out again. Good if it works but it is still a foreign substance.

The filler will treat the pit or depression if it is put in right but yeah the actual scar is not treated. That's why it might be a good idea to get subcision with it to detach some of the scar material underneath. Also if you have a demarcation line or a border to the scar then they can offer dermabrasion or TCA or a stronger peel to smooth out the line.

I had a syringe of Aquamid injected into my face in London over a month ago. I have quite bad scarring and I have been told I will need another syringe to correct more of my scars (one was not enough).

In the past I have tried everything from creams to chemical peels to lasers and I realised that my scars are too deep to be improved by these methods.

At first I was really pleased with the results, but I think this had to do in part with a small amount of swelling at the injection site - not overcorrection but inflammation from the needle itself. Now, occasionally when I look in a mirror in 'normal' light I am still pleased with the improvement and consider getting another syringe but when I look at it in harsh or half light I am not so satisfied. The problem could be that the product has actually settled under my skin (despite the results allegedly being immediate), or that the minor swelling has gone down, or that having fixed part of the problem I am now more aware of other imperfections around the site.

Either way, I am still up in the air about getting another syringe or turning to another 'revolutionary' treatment such as Isolagen instead. I am concerned that having had a 'permanent' filler injected I may not be able to have Isolagen if and when I decide I can afford it.

Hi,

I know this is a relatively old post, but this may still be useful to some. I've had aquamid and I probably wouldn't recommend it to anyone. All went well with the injection itself, but the results were pretty mediocre - no where near enough fill provided. I don't have severe scarring; mine are mild-modest and it didn't do much. I would stay away from permanent fillers, because you just don't know what is going to happen in the future, at the injection site. For scarring, I would probably say that your best bet is collagen. I've heard it said that because collagen (natural fillers) need to be re-injected that they ultimately make scarring worse as a result of the continual filling and emptying, but I think this point is somewhat overstated. Erbium lasers are over rated as far as eliminating acne scars goes. I've looked into Isologen; apparently permanent fillers such as Aquamid are not a problem when considering Isologen.