Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lifetap

Why do doc prescribe mino

After reading many posts on this board, I do not understand why doctors prescrcibe antibiotics like mino if thy do do not work in the long run and the acne comes back. Is there anyone on this board who has had success with antibiotics and then stayed clear or do thye just go away from the boards when their acne goes away.

I've been on doxy for 2 1/2 weeks now, so i cant really awnser your question...but i can say that i know that when i'm clear, i dont come to the boards, i think its just a psycological thing(then again any decision we make is.) So yeah. Pax

I've been on doxy for 2 1/2 weeks now, so i cant really awnser your question...but i can say that i know that when i'm clear, i dont come to the boards, i think its just a psycological thing(then again any decision we make is.) So yeah. Pax

After reading many posts on this board, I do not understand why doctors prescrcibe antibiotics like mino if thy do do not work in the long run and the acne comes back.  Is there anyone on this board who has had success with antibiotics and then stayed clear or do thye just go away from the boards when their acne goes away.

I think there are a lot of doctors who just write prescriptions to shut up whiny patients.

Example: My husband has the common cold (a virus) and goes to the doctor. Doctor sends him home with antibiotics. Antibiotics are completely unecessary for a cold. If the normal doc isn't in and the other doc just sends him home with the normal Soup and Rest advice the result is "I'M SICK and he didn't give me ANYTHING!" I'm going back tomorrow to see Dr. Writerscramp and get pills!"

So if a princess/prince with one tiny zit goes to a dermatologist they will get a prescription, usually mino, cleocin or that other benzoyl peroxide one.. maybe it's Triaz?. For whatever reason I think those are the first lines of defense. Every derm I have been to in the last 8 years suggests mino to me first.

If a dermatologist sent someone home with no prescription (whether her skin was actually bad or if she was a princess) she would probably be annoyed and go to a new doctor. Even if mino doesn't work it guarantees a return visit.

After reading many posts on this board, I do not understand why doctors prescrcibe antibiotics like mino if thy do do not work in the long run and the acne comes back.  Is there anyone on this board who has had success with antibiotics and then stayed clear or do thye just go away from the boards when their acne goes away.

Minocycline is typically one of the first anitbiotics perscribed for acne. In theory it's supposed to work - by killing the bacteria causing breakouts. And it actually works for a lot of people (every single person who has ever been perscribed an acne drug doesn't necessarily post on acne.org, although this site is a fairly good microcosm). But, for others, it's not strong enough, and the side effects might be worse than acne.