Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
goldierocks

Ever had a pimple "cultured"?

Good day everybody! I hope we're all hanging in there:

(I posted this in another thread, too) I'm curious how many of you have had your acne cultured? By that I mean had a dr. or derm ever taken a bit of fluid from one of your acne lesions to examine under a microscope, etc for the kinds of bacteria present. I was looking up some info on a medication and stumbled across this archive of emails among derms. And I'm sure many of you have seen it before, it was a quick result on google and mentions a lot of prescriptions, etc. But in particular selection of posts, beginning "I have a patient, a 39 year old white male,..." and all the way down through the words, "W H Burrow" in the "VITAMINS SECTION

http://dermatology.cdlib.org/rxderm-archives/acne

Two things that impressed me were 1.) the overwhelming compassion I felt regarding the patient that one derm had treated for 3 years with more than 15 medications--even accutane, 2.) the mention of the very obvious fact that a pimple or cyst can be cultured and examined under a microscope for bacteria, virus, etc. (feeling really stupid because I've had a fever blister cultured), and that it should be a primary step when diagnosing acne.

But I've never heard of having a "pimple" cultured... has anyone with persistent age old acne had this test? Or perhaps any younger sufferers? Best to all. Goldierocks

Hi. I once had a derm that cut a tiny acne bump off from under my nose (hurt like hell!!!!) and sent it in to be tested. She said she wanted to make sure it was acne she was dealing with.

What fun we have to go through!!!!!!

eusa_boohoo.gif

Hi. I once had a derm that cut a tiny acne bump off from under my nose (hurt like hell!!!!) and sent it in to be tested. She said she wanted to make sure it was acne she was dealing with.

What fun we have to go through!!!!!!

eusa_boohoo.gif

My son's derm cultured a cyst when she prescribed antibiotics. She said she wanted to be sure the antibiotic she was prescribing would work for that particular bacteria.

I had one on my back cultured. The derm took a sterile needle, popped one, put it on a Q-Tip, and sent it to the lab. The purpose of the culture is to make sure some kind of organism within your body isn't causing your acne. It's generally routine after unsucessfully using different antibiotics and regimens.

My derm did this because he wanted to make sure I didn't have a staph infection.

Thanks for all of your replies... is that it? Only about 6 folks on these boards have ever had a pimple cultured? This says something to me about derms. I have been dealing with acne for 26 years and some derm, somewhere, when I've told them how long I've been dealing with this and how many different edibles and topicals I've endured to be where I still am today, should have recommended this. According to the article, they can discover precisely the bacteria, type of candida, etc. that one is dealing with from a culture... and RANT... it is not like acne sufferers have a limited supply of pus and sebum, or like we really want to hoard it! thanks for listening... and seriously, if anyone else has heard of this, share.

Usually, a zit is a zit, of some kind. Sometimes, though, either the location, frequency, or some other feature gives a doc cause to rule out another type of infection (ie, like staph). So culturing a skin lesion is most often done when there is some question about it, based on its appearance or some other clinical sign the doctor has observed (such as possible resistance due to long-term use of antibiotics).

Doing a culture for all acne, or for acne that really does present as acne, for everyone who suffers from it - would be a waste of money and time, and most of the time would not yield anything the doc didn't already know.

You can always ask your derm (or other doc) why they haven't done it, if you're curious! If you don't understand or feel comfortable with their answer, ask them to explain it more.

:o)

I thought by cultured, he meant one was actually cultured in a laboratory to see how acne lesions formed. This is a very very difficult task but I was reading a study on line a few weeks ago about how a group of scientists were getting close to making a functioning sebaceous gland in their lab. I cant remember where the hell I saw it though, I seem to think its a german or swedish study. But even if they do manage to create the gland I doubt it will be that reliable, but in the future they wil be able to and it will result in more effective medicines

I had a cyst tht came back after a kenalog shot so my derm did a culture to rule staph out. Derms see this type of stuff daily and will probably not culture what seems to be a typical zit. (like the article Goldie posted--it was cultured because it was such an unusual case)

I believe my derm will occassionally send cultures to the lab if a cyst is drained as well. (but it would probably be an unusual & persistant cyst)

Karmagirl wrote "Doing a culture for all acne, or for acne that really does present as acne, for everyone who suffers from it - would be a waste of money and time, and most of the time would not yield anything the doc didn't already know."

YES, EXACTLY Karma! (I've missed your posts)

I thought by cultured, he meant one was actually cultured in a laboratory to see how acne lesions formed. This is a very very difficult task but I was reading a study on line a few weeks ago about how a group of scientists were getting close to making a functioning sebaceous gland in their lab. I cant remember where the hell I saw it though, I seem to think its a german or swedish study. But even if they do manage to create the gland I doubt it will be that reliable, but in the future they wil be able to and it will result in more effective medicines