Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scotty

Moisturizer and p-acne bacteria killer?

Can anyone suggest a good product that moisturizes and has a strong yet non-irritating anti-bacterial agent?

I do not like using products with BP or salicylic acid as they both irritate my skin and usually make things worse.

I have actually been using Elicina (originally bought it for scars) as it is pretty gentle and had some anti-bacterial properties but it doesnt really moistureize and its too damn expensive.

What are some good natural and mild anti-bacterial products?

Thanks! :D

Ok - question - has anyone tried Acnesil?

Here are the ingredients -

Tea Tree Oil, Aloe Vera, glycerin, emu oil, vitamin E tocopherol, prunella vulgaris extract, colloidal silver, allantoin, Vitamin A palimate.

Seems to be exactly what I'm looking for.

Has anybody tried this product and had success?

never tried acnesil, but it look pretty good, esp. w/ the tea tree & colloidal silver {good antmicrobals}

I also like Dermologica's active moist. It also is chock full of essential oils & homeopathic antimicrobals, but it can be a bit irritating if you are VERY sensitive.

never tried acnesil, but it look pretty good, esp. w/ the tea tree & colloidal silver {good antmicrobals}

Colloidal silver? Oh, brother... #-o

oh I forgot, it is the belief of some here that colloidal silver will turn you blue, which is fine bcs there are several smurf threads going in the LOUNGE.

Moderation in all things

Be here now

Don't sweat the small stuff

oh I forgot, it is the belief of some here that colloidal silver will turn you blue, which is fine bcs there are several smurf threads going in the LOUNGE.  

Moderation in all things

Be here now

No, it is a FACT that colloidal silver will turn you blue - PERMANENTLY. Yes, I know that this comes from ingesting it, however topically it is pretty much useless as well. Colloidal silver is quackery at best and damaging at worst.

njacobs - haven't seen you in a while - how goes it? Yeah, that colliodal silver thing was pretty scary. I would definately stay away from that stuff.

Mercer

Things are going very well, thanks. I seem to have found the right combo of products to control my adult acne. My face is actually clear. I'm almost afraid to state that, thinking that I might jinx it somehow! I hope that everything's going well with you. :D

Moderation in all things

Be here now

No, it is a FACT that colloidal silver will turn you blue - PERMANENTLY. Yes, I know that this comes from ingesting it, however topically it is pretty much useless as well. Colloidal silver is quackery at best and damaging at worst.

Woah! I dont want to turn blue - do I have anything to worry about by using it topically?

Things are going very well, thanks. I seem to have found the right combo of products to control my adult acne. My face is actually clear. I'm almost afraid to state that, thinking that I might jinx it somehow! I hope that everything's going well with you. :D

What products are you using?

Woah! I dont want to turn blue - do I have anything to worry about by using it topically?

Yes, wasting your money. :D

What products are you using?

I went through a period in the past year in which I was getting these very deep forming cyst-like acne lesions mostly on my forehead. My acne had been under control up to that point, so I was dumbfounded. It forced me to go back to a derm who I hadn't seen in years. He started me on Cipro and topical erythromycin. Cipro is a powerful antibiotic only meant to be used shortterm. Within days of taking the Cipro, my forehead started clearing. I took the two week course of Cipro and it seemed to be a miracle, but my forehead did not totally clear and I regressed shortly after. I received one more course of Cipro and the same thing happened. My derm suggested we try Keflex instead. I have been on the Keflex for about 3 months, and it is part of the reason I am now 99.9% clear. I also use topical clindamycin gel and Differin gel. Whatever type of bacteria I had that was causing my problem has definitely responded to the Keflex. It is a good example of trying different antibiotics until the right one for you is found. Here is a typical daily routine for me:

A.M.

-Lather face with Carley's Natural Finishing Soap(a GREAT soap to use if you must wash your face more than 2x daily)

-Shave with Norelco Advantage electric shaver

-Shower and wash face with Carley's Clear & Smooth. (My face seems to really need the daily exfoliation and low dose BP.)

-Apply clindamycin gel

-Apply Eucerin Renewal for face

-Take one Keflex oral antibiotic

P.M.

-Wash with either Carley's Finishing soap or ocassionally, Carley's Clear & Smooth

-Apply Differin Gel

-Take one Keflex oral antibiotic

Alright - well you guys officially scared the hell out of me about colloidal silver - I did already order the Acnesil so I'm going to use it anyway (I highly doubt that one bottle will make me look like a Smurf - plus all the reading about people turning into Smurfs seems to indicate it was from ingesting the stuff [-o< )

Anyway in an attempt to find a natural product not containing colloidal silver I found a product called Phytome.

Here's the rundown on it:

"Ingredients:

Water, Aloe Vera Gel, Arnica, Fumaria, Tea Tree Oil, Rose Hip Oil, Vitamins A and E, Sorbin Acid (Natural Preservative).

All herbs used are approved by Commission E Monographs.

Active Ingredients:

Tea Tree Oil: Tea Tree essential oil exhibits a broad spectrum of anti-fungal and anti-bacterial effects. Helps eliminate micro-organisms associated with skin infections while maintaining normal, beneficial skin flora. Inhibits the growth of most clinical fungal isolates.

Aloe Vera Gel: Aloe Vera helps restore tissue integrity and provides soothing anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties.

Arnica: Arnica has broad spectrum anti-bacterial activity to help eliminate infections and prevent their recurrence.

Rose Hip: Rose Hip oil contains high levels of Vitamin C and Bioflavonoids which work synergistically to strengthen connective tissue in blood vessel walls, thereby increasing vascular resistance and integrity, and improving circulation.

Fumaria: Fumaric acid esters reduce the rate of epithelial proliferation, helping to decrease the development of acne nodules. Also exhibits anti-fungal activity.

Vitamin E: Vitamin E is a powerful anti-oxidant that helps retard cellular aging associated with free-radical damage. Protects the skin against UV-induced inflammation and maintains skin hydration.

Vitamin A: Necessary for the growth and repair of body tissues and helps maintain healthy skin integrity. Improves the resistance of the skin and mucous membranes to chemical and physical irritants and protects against hypo- and hyper-pigmentation."

ANybody have any experience with this product?

Thanks! :D

U can get some good aloe vera gel and every time u use it mix a drop of tea tree oil in it , works great. :D/

Re: Colloidal Silver

Read this and decide for yourself:

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelate...s/silverad.html

Yeah njacobs - I read that article and this is the part that actually has me feeling better about using it topically.

"So far, seven cases of argyria related to silver products have been reported:

A 56-year-old man who had sold and used colloidal silver for three years, developed blue/gray discoloration of his fingernails accompanied by a very high blood level of silver [4].

A married couple who had three years of daily consumption of a drink prepared by administering an electrolytic charge to a bowl of water that contained a silver bar [5].

Another couple had been taking a silver-containing "dietary supplement" prescribed by a naturopath [5].

A mentally ill man who had been drinking silver-containing herbal tea for about 10 months [5].

Stan Jones, Montana's Libertarian Party candidate for the U.S. Senate, who reportedly started taking colloidal silver in 1999 for fear that Y2K disruptions might lead to a shortage of antibiotics. He made his own concoction by electrically two silver wires in a glass of water [6]."

Two things thatmake me feel better - 1) only seven cases of this have been reported 2) all of the above examples the people were ingesting the stuff.

Also the colloidal silver is low on the list of ingredients so there really isnt a high concentration of it in the product.

Basically, I spent $27 on the stuff so I don't want to just throw it out. I've done other research on the product itself and it seems to get pretty good reviews. Nevertheless after I'm done with the bottle I'll probably try that Phytome stuff.