Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
longits

The only treatment for scars that really works

Most of the treatments usually all people talks are based into "individual" experiencies or simply under fakes things. The ONLY way of removing scars who has scientific studies dones and truly approved performance is: TRETINOIN, a derivated from vitamin A (retinol). But, yes, this is a drug (a drug but don't forget it, a derivated from a vitamin --> not so bad). I can certainly that it works, but always under medical revision. ALL the other things that you can hear, are maybe individual results than can not solve your problem. The cosmetics creams that contains retinol are good, yes, but remember that the concentration of retinol is so lower, and tretinoin is a lot of more effective (whatever new studies demostrates that retinol is a lot of effective too.). If any of you has taken Roaccutane (ISOTRETINOINE) will knows that this is just the only think that works.

From other point of view, there are treatments that can help too and are clinical effective. Laser N-Lite, who can helps to increase collagen and to eliminate fine scars and to improve deeper. Yes, it's a good thing, but if you have big scars don't wait for big results.

The AHA acids works, but lower

I think I understand what you said, but I've never heard accutane helping with scars. Maybe you mean acne?

The cosmetics creams that contains retinol are good, yes, but remember that the concentration of retinol is so lower, and tretinoin is a lot of more effective (whatever new studies demostrates that retinol is a lot of effective too.). If any of you has taken Roaccutane (ISOTRETINOINE) will knows that this is just the only think that works.

You HAVE to be kidding right? you think that Roaccutane helps scars? Roaccutane/accutane whatever its called, it slows down cell renewal in the skin. It doesn`t help scars it creates them. The only way it could possibly help with scarring is if someone who already scarred from acne took it, and no longer got acne and therefore didn`t scar... it does not help xisting scars and would probably give you more scars as it did me!

right, my doctor said that accutane helps a little with scars but i dont think sow, i get some new pimples today and i dont get a scar, but the ones i got while on accutane left me scars and i can remember that while taking accutane, my skin looked VERY bad, it looked sick and i remember having a thin coat of white vellus or maybe they were scabs, very small scabs, but anyways after finishing my course, even some 4 months later i still had bad looking skin and now it looks normal, except for the scars, etc

roaccutanne really works for acne, but it has no effect with scars, almost every year(5-6 months) i use it,and didnt help to my scars.in contrast some of the scars which close the others, allyed and created new big scars

The ONLY way of removing scars who has scientific studies dones and truly approved performance is: TRETINOIN, a derivated from vitamin A (retinol).

Tretinoin = Retin-A/Renova/Differin/Isotrex - it helps with acne (sometimes) and also helps stimulate collagen, but is definately not the ONLY way of removing scars - in fact, it's not very effective unless combined with something more invasive like needling.

Tretinoin IS one of the only topical gels (Retin A) scientifically proven to reduce acne scars (however, copper peptides have been scientifically proven to increase collagen production). That is a true statement. All of the other stuff on the market (elcina, etc.) have not been proven to do the same. There are many derivatives of retinoids(vitamin A derivatives) that are not as effective and are sold as over the counter topical cream beauty supplies. Assuming that scientific evidence is the only objective means to guage whether or not topical gels are effective, your own subjective observations are either false, or the effects of outside influences (natural healing process, etc.).

Although Isotretinoin (Accutane) and Tretinoin(Retin A) are both retinoids and have the same molecular compound, they share different molecular structures. There effects on the body are completely different.

Although Tretinoin is one of the only scientifically proven topical treatments for acne scars, I do not use it. As I have read from others on this board, it changes my skin in such a way that when I get the few pimples that still plague me, they have a tendency to leave scars when otherwise they would not. But that is my own personal experience, and once again, if scientific evidence is only determinant of effectiveness, then I must be wrong or they are the result of outside influences.

Retin A with copper peptides is very helpful for scar removal.

An esthetician told another guy on a board that over time, say 18-24 months, that copper peptides along with Retin A can help soften and remove scars signifigantly.

My own personal experience does prove that out.

I think that the poster was saying that Retin a is a proven topical, unlike other topicals, as it exfoliates the skin and causes cellular turnover quicker, which is good for scar removal.

After 6-8 weeks of using Retin A my severe cystic acne on my chin cleared. However it did nothing for getting rid of the minor scarring and purple/red marks. That took a further 6-8 months to completely subside without me using anything.

I thought isotretinoin was effective for preventing acne and cystic breakouts but what does it actually do for current acne. Isn't the purpose of Accutane to inhibit the sebacious glands from producing sebum, which can block the pores therefore causing the infection. In contrast the harsh nature of Tretinoin (Retin-A) actually makes the skin peel which could be beneficial for acne and some minor scarring.

I would never use Retin A again though on my face unless a derm said it was good for scarring (I will ask him next time). My chin after was always flaky and prone to dermatitis. Maybe it is ok in conjunction with copper peptides, i don't know. I have read that repeated use of Retin A can lead to loss of pigmentation in the skin.

Um personally accutane has helped my scars tremendously. I had scars from my acne that had gone away along with acne too. But the scars that I ahd (pretty red and dark) are all but gone now (on accutane 4 months) so, YES accutane helps scars

PEOPLE - PLEASE - Once again - Dark Marks ARE NOT scars UNLESS they are indented and a different level than the rest of your skin! [-X

Well, in fist place sorry for my english but i'm from Spain. When i talk about "Roaccutane", i wanted to mean that all the people who has taken it knows the effectivity AGAIN ACNE, not for scars. Sorry for the bad interpretations. And going with this thing, Retin A (tretinoin) is a kind of "topical" preparation of it. The effects are very simple: new celular regenaration, collagene regeneration, and a better look of skin. When i said that is THE ONLY thing that works, i'm talking in scientific terms that you could review in the FDA page. Look, the truth is just that all things related to scars are PURE COMMERTIAL: cosmeticals, false vitamins, etc.. and a lot of whole things that doesn't works. But Tretinoin (RETIN-A) is not magical too. First: you have to wait for 4-5 months to have results. Second: Sometimes irritation is so much and you have to stop the treatment. Third:Is FULL FORBIDDEN to take sun with this.

I know how important is for a lot of people all this, because they are so sad for looking day by day their scarred faces on a mirror, and that really makes me feel bad when i see replies that just only wants to make commercial with all this. Finally, i only have to say that this are the only ways that i have seen to improve scars SCIENTIFIC demostrated:

1) Of course, Tretinoin (retin-a) or derivated from this (adapalene, etc.), also retinol (cosmetical, problem:concentrations and effectivity)

2) AHA Alpha-Hidroxyacids. Problems: when you stop using it, the effects will go down a lot, and the acids doesn't works in all the skins.

3) N-Lite Laser: Replenishment of collagen. For fine scars, it really works. For deeper scars, it looks better.

4) Of course, more intrusive methods like dermoabrasion, microdermoabrasion, etc...

When people talks about lemon, good, lemon has vitamin C that can helps to renove cells, but remember that can irritate so much the skin.

Sorry again for my english and for the problem with the interpretation of Roaccutane (that isn't for scars)

Please Note that this product (Tret.) and Vitamin A , Retin A .......THINS THE Skin .......and causes scars to look worse..........and causes scars if you have current acne.................

Hi longits,

Are you still using Retin-A now? Could you tell me how your daily regime with it is like, ie. How much Retin-A do you use at each time? Do you use it on its own or together with other medicines? And do you apply it only to the scar areas or to the entire face?

Basically, more details would be appreciated! Many thanks!

I'm using Retin-A (retirides) at the concentration of 0,05. MORE is not better, and maybe 0,025 works exactly like 0,05 (in reciently studies it has demostrated that the concentration in skin is exactly if you apply 0,05 or 0,025), and if your skin is so irritated try with 0,025. But 0,05 is the ideal concentration.

I apply it all the nights, in the scars.

The only problem: You have to wait 3-4 months to see a REAL improvement. Be patient because is the best method (approved by FDA). Good luck!

retin-a has demonstrated the ability to thicken the skin, not thin it, over the long haul. perhaps at first, if it makes you peel, it makes a thinner, but all studies have shown that long term effects are a thickened epidermis, not thinner.

thanks for the quick reply. how much retin-a do you apply everytime, longits?

My situation here. Generally my acne is been quite well under control recently, and it is the scars I am now concentrating on. My derm prescribed Retin-A for the scars but instructed me to apply the retin-a to the entire face and not just the scars alone. This caused me to have a huge breakout somewhere in week5 of the treatment. It is only now in Week7 when my acne has began to subside, thank goodness. But ever since the outbreak I have only been applying the retin-a to the scars alone. Should I carry on this way?

I used to use hydrocortisone to treat my red marks, but now i have stopped the use of hydrocortisone cos my derm has instructed me to use this AHA lightening gel in conjunction with the retin-a. Ingredients for this are glycolic acid 10&, hydroquinone 2% and kojic acid 2% but its effectiveness against red marks seems to be less than that of hydrocortisone.

Generally after like 6 weeks of usage of the combination of retin-a, the lightening gel and oral antibiotics, i noticed some of my scars are starting to level. But due to the huge outbreak and the resultant red marks which are slow to heal, my skin is not looking good at the moment. I think it looked its best just before my outbreak began.

Comments, longits or anybody? Has anyone else attempted using retin-a for the treatment of scars?

Hi teckpu. In first place i read you're using hidroquinone. Hidroquinone is now prohibited because is a cancering agent.

http://www.lindisima.com/piel2/hidroquinona.htm <- a revission in spanish

Hydrocortisone is a lot of effective for the red marks, and retin-A too. Look, i think Retin-A really is the only topical cream that really can improve the scars (FDA thinks in this way too). What happens to you is usually, the first weeks the acne is very bad, but later it begins to go down. By this, is better to have acne controlled before put the cream (anyway this cream is prescribed for ACNE).

I only use it in the scars, and rounding the scar (just a little). And the most important thing: DO NOT TAKE THE SUN. This could be very dangerous (fotosensibility->sunburn->more scars, wrinkles->more possibility of skin cancer).

Hey! Very IMPORTANT too: you have to apply Retin-A 20-30 minutes after washing your face. If you don't do it, you can have more irritation.

The improvement of constant use of Retin-A in the scars is really incredible.

longits, thanks again for your quick reply

If you think of anything else, don't forget to post here. It would be interesting for me to hear about your progress cos we are on roughly the same regime..

teckpu my derm tell me one thing that i think it will works very good. In the nigh, Retin-A (Retirides 0,05). For the morning, hydrocortisone (Isdinium in my country). It so nice, because he tell me that in the night, with the Retin-A the skin will irritate, descamate and grow, and in the morning the hydrocortisone will help again to accelerate the renoval of the cells.

Hope it works! :D I'll tell you

ok, i used to use hydrocortisone, but since I started on the retin-a my doctor has told me to stop using it, I'm not too sure why but he mentioned something about the 2 medicines clashing?

Also, I would like to ask if the retin-a caused you to break out? (ie. get new pimples)