Notifications
Clear all

just use soap and water to clear your skin?

MemberMember
(@inloveandontane)

Posted : 08/15/2005 6:56 pm

okay, my acne is...not even mild. more like slight. I used to have horomonal acne but that has stopped since I've been taking orthotricycline (birth control). I just get 1 or 2 huge zits when it's that time of the month...the only problem I have is hyperpigmentation and oily skin.

I hear that using just regular soap, like dove, on your face is better than using a bunch of crap on your face? I want to try it but I am afraid it will make me break out or clog my pores or something.

MemberMember
(@thndarkat)

Posted : 08/15/2005 7:03 pm

Since June I've been just wasing my face with warm water and using a toner and neosporin about twice a week and my face hasn't been this clear in about 2 years. My pores aren't clogged at all and I didn't get any intial break out or anything like that. It was just a progressive clearing of the pimples that were there and now I only get 1 or two during that time of the month. I am still oily and shiny but my acne, texture, dark spots and over all appearance of my skin has improved dramatically.

I'm not sure about dove or other soaps because I'm allergic to irish spring and ivory so I tend to stay away from bar soap brands but I really think less is more when talking about skin care.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/15/2005 7:36 pm

I use the Basis bar...it's a gentle soap and BP (because I'm still breaking out, but not for long I hope)..the soap is really good and takes all my makeup off with it....if you aren't actively breaking out any more I would say it would be a fine thing to do...just pick something nice and gentle.

MemberMember
(@heybabe)

Posted : 08/16/2005 8:30 am

I have been using Noxzema Triple Clean and Purpose bar soap and my skin has cleared a lot. I would be 100 percent clear if it wasnt for my hormonal acne, I am taking Yasmin and it has improved the hormonal chin acne but not eliminated it. So try just using a cleanser and spot treating only

MemberMember
(@ballaballa)

Posted : 08/16/2005 9:49 am

just wash your face once a day with soap/cleanser(preferably at night) and you should be ok.

MemberMember
(@milwaukeechick20)

Posted : 08/16/2005 10:23 am

hey i def think u should go that route try a sensitive skin bar, such as cetaphil, blue box , and then neoporin and bp a thin layer. it works wonders.

MemberMember
(@iceboi)

Posted : 08/16/2005 2:23 pm

I use Carley's Soap and its working really good as in it smoothes your face and makes your face nice and supple!!

My doctor suggested Dove or Glycerin Soap but i think it's condomegenic for my skin...

MemberMember
(@islandlove)

Posted : 08/15/2016 2:27 pm

Honestly I find that natural bar soaps are better than any other store bought cleanser. They're free of chemicals and harsh ingredients and they're a lot of different ones to choose from like papaya or shea butter. Since you have hyperpigementation and oily skin I think African black soap will be perfect for you.

MemberMember
(@zairalogan)

Posted : 08/16/2016 9:32 am

I tried to not wash it at all for a while, that helped to clear my bacterial spread! i just use water to splash on my face in the morning.

MemberMember
(@lulularis)

Posted : 08/18/2016 5:49 pm

Ive never had much luck with just soap and water but then, unlike you, my acne isn't mild. I have always had to use a benzoyl peroxide product of some sort in order to see a difference at all with my acne. Just remember, sunblock and don't dry out your skin too much! That is what my esthetician burnt into my brain. Just make sure that whatever you use for moisture is non-comedogenic. Good luck.

MemberMember
(@sayso)

Posted : 09/06/2016 8:33 am

Honestly- using a plain old average soap bar is one of the worst things you can do to your skin- it has a VERY high pH and so destroys the acid layer on your skin that protects it, and strips all the oils etc. some soaps are pH neutral- which should be fine (though still a little harsh). An average foaming face wash is better than an average soap bar any day.