Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

hi, i'm sort of new here, although i've visited this site many times. i was reading through the reviews on prescription medications the other day and saw that bactrim/septra got a great rating, and literally no complaints. i was just wondering if any of you were taking it, what you thought of the results, were there side effects, and how long it took to work (and also if it's the sort of drug where your acne gets worse before better)?

right now i am on doxycycline and using azelex. i was on monocycline for about a year and a half, it worked perfectly, and then it stopped working and i broke out horribly. i was switched to ampicillin, which didn't work at all, and now i've been on doxy since march. it took about two months to work, and even now my face isn't completely clear; i still get pimples, although my biggest problem is red marks. anyway, after reading the great reviews for b/s, i thought i'd ask you all about it. i go back to school in about two weeks and am considering talking to my dermatologist about switching.

thanks in advance!

hi, i'm sort of new here, although i've visited this site many times.  i was reading through the reviews on prescription medications the other day and saw that bactrim/septra got a great rating, and literally no complaints.  i was just wondering if any of you were taking it, what you thought of the results, were there side effects, and how long it took to work (and also if it's the sort of drug where your acne gets worse before better)?

right now i am on doxycycline and using azelex.  i was on monocycline for about a year and a half, it worked perfectly, and then it stopped working and i broke out horribly.  i was switched to ampicillin, which didn't work at all, and now i've been on doxy since march.  it took about two months to work, and even now my face isn't completely clear; i still get pimples, although my biggest problem is red marks.  anyway, after reading the great reviews for b/s, i thought i'd ask you all about it.  i go back to school in about two weeks and am considering talking to my dermatologist about switching.

thanks in advance!

Other antibiotics weren't working for me so my derm put me on Septra about 6 weeks ago. At that time my derm said I had moderate acne and was suggesting Accutane. After starting Septra, I noticed improvement right away, within about 1-2 weeks. Now at 6 weeks my skin is clear. I haven't had any side effects from the Septra either. I also use Tazorac and BP 5%. If you try Septra and notice any wierd side effects contact your derm right away because there is some serious condition it can cause, but my derm said its not common, they just have to warn you.

Other antibiotics weren't working for me so my derm put me on Septra about 6 weeks ago. At that time my derm said I had moderate acne and was suggesting Accutane. After starting Septra, I noticed improvement right away, within about 1-2 weeks. Now at 6 weeks my skin is clear. I haven't had any side effects from the Septra either. I also use Tazorac and BP 5%. If you try Septra and notice any wierd side effects contact your derm right away because there is some serious condition it can cause, but my derm said its not common, they just have to warn you.

Bactrim, a.k.a. TMP/SMX, Septra, is in my experience the most effective overall of the antibiotics appropriate for acne. The only problem with it is that is does have a very small chance of causing a severe and life-threatening allergic reaction. Of course any oral medication - and many foods - can do this same thing, but when it happens with Bactrim, it tends to be severe. For this reason, there are many derm providers who will not use it, or at least reserve it's use as a last resort. Personally however - I love the stuff....

bactrim helped a lot, for a long time, but i think i grew immune to it after a few years. It started losing its effectiveness. Also, like the post above, it could cause serious if not deadly side effects if taken too long. Its fine to take and will give you great results if you take it temporarily. Bactrim is a strong drug, usually prescribed 1 or 2 pills a day (2 should really help clear your acne).

But you cant take bactrim forever because of the dangers. If your acne persists you may wish to think about accutane and hope that helps for the longer term.

bactrim helped a lot, for a long time, but i think i grew immune to it after a few years. It started losing its effectiveness. Also, like the post above, it could cause serious if not deadly side effects if taken too long. Its fine to take and will give you great results if you take it temporarily. Bactrim is a strong drug, usually prescribed 1 or 2 pills a day (2 should really help clear your acne).

But you cant take bactrim forever because of the dangers. If your acne persists you may wish to think about accutane and hope that helps for the longer term.

well i have never not been on antibiotics until recently so i don't know how much it helped but it definitely didn't clear me or help cysts. got some huge ones on bactrim. but like i would go from having reasonably good skin to bad skin week in week out on it. It is the antibiotic that worked best for me tho out of all i took.... didn't know about any side effects confused.gif

I've been using Bactrim DS for about 18 days and it's worked fairly well so far. My skin is paler and more sensitive, but I haven't been breaking out. I'm also on Retin-A Micro.

I'm starting on my eighth week of septra today. It definitely has made my face really smooth and almost got rid of all the active acne. It's just the red marks galore that are bothersome right now.

I'm starting on my eighth week of septra today. It definitely has made my face really smooth and almost got rid of all the active acne. It's just the red marks galore that are bothersome right now.

i was taking it and i was generally clear on it. this is after a round of accutane. i havent taken it all summer and i've been clear, but i just started breaking out a little . i think im gonna start on it again. i do think , however, it give me a gaseous stomach.

When I was on Septra my neck glands swelled to twice their size . . . so my doctor definitely took me off of it :(