Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sakuraba

Frying in oil ?....all bad ?

why is it bad to fry stuff in oil ?.....i'm sure it is but don't know why.

If so wouldn't roasting veg in the oven drizzled in olive oil be as bad as deep frying chicken in sunflower oil ?

cheers

If your going to fry food then never fry in polyunsaturated oils as the extreme heat will turn these good fats into trans fatty acids. Not to mention it (sunflower oil) was probably bad to begin with and processed.

The only oil in the world you should fry with is coconut oil from what i have read. The medium and short chain fatty acids are extremely heat resistant and won't change into bad fat. All other oils contain long chain fatty acids which turn rancid very quickly AND turn into TFA with heat.

Thats why all supermarket oils are heavily refined. They are also deoderized because they'd stink otherwise because they are rancid. Just think you have been putting rancid oil in your body for years on end.. this also included margarine mind you..

Also never burn your food as anything burnt is toxic to the body.

Now i wish my coconut oil would hurry up and get here smile.gif

One more thing, the short and medium chain fatty acids in coconut oil are HIGHLY and i mean VERRRRRY highly are antibacterial, antifungal antiviral and anti petrotzal(sp-kills little bugs ie. mites) and for some cool info,

Lauric acid(sp?) which is heavily concentrated in breat milk from humans is so important to fighting all diseases. The only other natural large source of it is.... Coconut oil

smile.gif

Yes i love the research on this shyt...

If your going to fry food then never fry in polyunsaturated oils as the extreme heat will turn these good fats into trans fatty acids. Not to mention it (sunflower oil) was probably bad to begin with and processed.

The only oil in the world you should fry with is coconut oil from what i have read. The medium and short chain fatty acids are extremely heat resistant and won't change into bad fat. All other oils contain long chain fatty acids which turn rancid very quickly AND turn into TFA with heat.

Of course they are and pigs fly as well. If you want to keep cooking in canola oil go for it and enjoy your heart problems later on in life.

smile.gif

Have you any evidence for that statements?

It's because I read many times that saturated fats like coconut oil are very bad at all.

It is true that the "good" oils like olive and that become unstable when heated.

It probably goes against what you have been taught, but butter is better for frying, as it is more stable when heated.

Of course they are and pigs fly as well. If you want to keep cooking in canola oil go for it and enjoy your heart problems later on in life.

smile.gif

No offence. I am just surprised, because everyone is telling you another story and not all of them can be true simultaneously.

So, according to you, I should not even use olive oil to fry, and if don't want to use butter, all what's left is coconut oil?

DO NOT fry with Olive Oil, it becomes toxic at high heats. Drink Olive Oil unheated (I put it in my home made juices)

Cocunut Oil is the oil of choice. Runner-Ups are Peanut Oil and then Butter

Never use Vegetable or Canola Oil or Margarine.

Personally, i use Peanut Oil.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you consume oxidized fats, which are mutagenic, thrombogenic, atherogenic, and carcinogenic.  Frying foods with polyunsaturated oils is the worst possible thing you can do, because you're heating those oils in the presence of oxygen.  If you MUST fry foods at all, use something as heat-stable as possible, like butter or perhaps coconut oil.  Even then, it should still be further protected with powerful antioxidants like BHT.

Bryan

Also coconut oil seems to be 10 times more expensive than other oils.

Is there a big difference between cold pressed and refined coconut oil?

It's simple a matter of short and medium chain fatty acids vs long chain

Long chain = oxidised quickly = trans fatty acids

Short/medium chain = not oxidised quickly and in fact are quite heat resistant

Coconut oil is supreme smile.gif

It's simple a matter of short and medium chain fatty acids vs long chain

Long chain = oxidised quickly = trans fatty acids

okay, here's the deal with oils: They are safe for any type of cooking as long as you keep them below their smoking point. Up to this point they aren't any more harmful than if you were to use them at room temp. Coconut oil is not the oil with the highest smoking point either. It's high, but certainly not the highest. Also remember that frying is not the same as sauteing and stir-frying so you can use many oils for this purpose.

Here is a table with the smoking points of the oils(Not exact but close enough and besides, no two stoves are the same anyway with regards to exact temps). Many of the posters on the site have the wrong impression with regards to fats and so on in terms of health, but ignore that and just focus on the table. I have found many of these temps in many cookbooks and so on, but this the most comprehensive in one place. Print it off and use it for healthy cooking.

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/article.php?id=50

To the poster above, unless you eat a crap load of fast food or preheated frozen food the cholesterol in foods aren't really going to affect your overall cholesterol levels because you produce most of your cholesterol yourself regardless of what you eat. Don't confuse blood serum cholesterol with food cholesterol.

So I'm going to fry or steam much more than I did before. This way, vegetables are easier to digest which is good for health and should compensate the loss of vitamins.

Also I can change my diet to more fat and less carbs this way.

Any good reason why I shouldn't go this way?