Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
clpersonal

After Accutane...What's next?

I've finished a 7 month course of accutane at 40mg daily. And i've been pretty much clear since the first few months. With only a few spots popping up in the last few months. Now that i've finished my course, i am at a lost of what to use for my skincare regime. I am afraid of breaking out again. eusa_naughty.gif

Should i ask the derm for retin-a or some other prescription drug for my skin?

I've finished a 7 month course of accutane at 40mg daily. And i've been pretty much clear since the first few months. With only a few spots popping up in the last few months. Now that i've finished my course, i am at a lost of what to use for my skincare regime. I am afraid of breaking out again.  eusa_naughty.gif

I've finished a 7 month course of accutane at 40mg daily. And i've been pretty much clear since the first few months. With only a few spots popping up in the last few months. Now that i've finished my course, i am at a lost of what to use for my skincare regime. I am afraid of breaking out again.  eusa_naughty.gif

I have nearly finished my 6 month course of 40mg accutane and have been using the same regime for the past couple of months. It works great and hasn't irritated my skin/broke me out at all so I plan to use the same regimin when i finish accutane. If you are happy with what skincare products you are currently using and they are not causing any breakouts/irritation it is fine to continue with the same products.

If you want to get new products, make sure that they are non-comeodogenic and oil-free. Avene is a great range.

If I were you, I wouldn't use any topical treatments e.g. tetracycline/topicycline until accutane is out of your system (6 months).

i made the mistake of not having a regime after i finished accutane.

i was on it for a little over five months (broke out all through it) then had 1 recovery month where my skin was mediocre then i have three really good months (the best my skin has looked since 6th grade) but while it was clear, i would hardly wash my face much less put perscriptions on it. i used water, moisterizer and a little makeup (god do i miss how my skin looked) and i was fine but my acne crept back. not as bad as before but i really think my clear skin would of held up longer if i had had a regime.

im not sure what it should be, but yeah do something.

To Simplyme:

No, as far as I know it is not okay to use BP while on Accutane. Accutane makes your skin far too sensitive to use it! This also means you cannot follow Dan's Regimen while on Accutane.

To clpersonal:

A regimen that might work for you would be: a healthy lifestyle, appropriate supplements (vitamins, oils, etc), and no fragrance, non-comedogenic cleansers and moisturisers (think Cetaphil!). Use BP if you want, but supposedly it decreases the rate at which red marks heal so if you have any red marks from either before Accutane or from the initial breakout then perhaps (In my opinion), it would be better to not use BP or perhaps use it only once a week.