Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HopefulSkin

HYPERPIGMENTATION - Post Dermabrasion

Posted

Hi,

I'm wondering, did any of you (mainly Fitzpatrick Scale IV and V - med/darker) who've had dermabrasion experience SEVERE hyperpigmentation (I'm talking like someone colored parts of your face with grey charcoal)!!! And if so, how did it improve, and could some of it NOT EVER go away?

I'm so nervous about this situation not resolving. Post 3 weeks dermabrasion today... Thanks,

Posted

Hi HS,

I understand how frustrated and worried you must feel.

At around 3 months, my face was a mixture of brown and dark red and quite blotchy. I am almost at 6 months now. Although I still have extremely annoying red undertone evil.gif in my skin, my brownish hyperpigmentation has faded a lot. However, my face will never be as dark as before due to hypopigmentation.

Without mentioning his name, another asian who had dermabrasion with Dr. Y last July, also reported serious hyperpigmentationat about 5 weeks. I exchanged PMs with him 10 months after his dermabrasion. Most of his hyperpigmentation had resolved (I believe he used tri luma).

What did you local derm say?

Take care,

Sword

Posted

For hyperpigmentation, try the following:

(a) Hydroquinone products from Serious Skin Care:

http://www.hsn.com/cnt/search/searchresult...rice=&o=esearch

(b) Lumitone HP from Aloette:

http://www.aloettecosmetics.com/oneproduct...duct=129&nav=22

I just ordered the Lumitone, but up until now I've been using Fading Fluid with decent results and it doesn't cause breakouts (it has the consistency of water).

Good luck.

Posted
Hi HS,

At around 3 months, my face was a mixture of brown and dark red and quite blotchy.  I am almost at 6 months now.  Although I still have extremely annoying red undertone  evil.gif  in my skin, my brownish hyperpigmentation has faded a lot.  However, my face will never be as dark as before due to hypopigmentation.

Without mentioning his name, another asian who had dermabrasion with Dr. Y last July, also reported serious hyperpigmentationat about 5 weeks.  I exchanged PMs with him 10 months after his dermabrasion.  Most of his hyperpigmentation had resolved (I believe he used tri luma).

Take care,

Sword

Posted

Sword, do you wish you never went through with the dermabrasion? Did it help your scarring at all?

Posted

MissShady,

No use regretting now, but I'll tell you why I am unhappy.

I have always maintained dermabrasion helped my scarring. I am sure some would be stoked if they were put in my shoes, if scar improvement is all that matters to them, that is if they don't mind having a face disjointed from the neck colorwise!!

I am still pissed because there was no mentioning of higher risk of hypopigmentation for my skin type (type IV), and the wayyyy understated duration of redness (I am not the only one who is still red after 6 months). Of course I was responsible for not doing enough research regarding the effect of dermabrasion on my skin type until after the fact.

There were good reviews of this procedure by the Doctor, I wanted to fix the scars, I let my guard down. I thought "3 months of redness" was long but bearable, and "4% - 5% patients get slightly one shade lighter skin" sounded safe enough for me.

From eMedicine article:

"Mid range skin types (III-IV) are more likely to become transiently hyperpigmented 4-8 weeks after surgery and hypopigmented 12-18 months after surgery. "

From another emedicine article:

"Patients with lighter skin types can expect to undergo dermabrasion with minimal pigmentation alteration, whereas those with darker skin are at a higher risk for hyperpigmentation or hypopigmentation."

Before the derma, scars was a pain-in-the-ass imperfection to live with, but at least I had normal and homogeneous skin tone. Now I feel rather disfigured, especially when looked at from the side.

Nevertheless, I am trying to put this ordeal behind me and live a normal life again. If someone asks me why the difference in color, I'll tell him I survived a 2nd degree burn.

Sword

Posted

Posted

sword your story reminds me of how I warn people to stay away from laser. The sad thing though is that dermabrasion is my only hope, so where else can I look if I cant try dermabrasion. Iam skin type 3 ( I think). I will ask the srugeon on monday about a very light derma, with the finest tip there is. I just dont know what do do if i cant have this procedure. lasers are a scam and create more scars, tca peels are not cutting it what so ever and Iam reading people are still searching for scar treatment after exoderm, I just dont know which way to go anymore. Iam hoping that there is different grades of derma, Iam reading about the wire brush and the diamond fraise, I would like to have the lightest safest derma, if there is a such thing. Thanks for sharing your experience, advise and input on all this.

Posted

S500,

lasers are a scam and create more scars, tca peels are not cutting it what so ever and Iam reading people are still searching for scar treatment after exoderm, I just dont know which way to go anymore.

Posted

Thanks HS.

Yeah even now when I see the contrast at the jaw line I still say to myself "WTF were you thinking". I scraped off the face and expected the same color to return. What a genius.

Be hopeful though, kooky is also a type IV but he healed very well. Others asians who are still healing include lunar surface, Kipster, Kwi and Stephen Hung.

I wish you good luck in your recovery.

Sword

Posted
Hi HS,

At around 3 months, my face was a mixture of brown and dark red and quite blotchy. I am almost at 6 months now. Although I still have extremely annoying red undertone :evil: in my skin, my brownish hyperpigmentation has faded a lot. However, my face will never be as dark as before due to hypopigmentation.

Without mentioning his name, another asian who had dermabrasion with Dr. Y last July, also reported serious hyperpigmentationat about 5 weeks. I exchanged PMs with him 10 months after his dermabrasion. Most of his hyperpigmentation had resolved (I believe he used tri luma).

Take care,

Sword

Hi Everyone,

I hope the link below would help you all. I too had dermabrasion 6 months ago, i think i am having hypopigmentation. I am a 37 year old Asian, trying to look for a way to cure the mess. On the internet, other people suggest self tan lotion over the white spot or use the fresh ginger root to apply on the white spots. Here is the link of the one who used the ginger root

Please read the whole story. I am going to try them(both the lotion and the ginger root on different areas) to see if they works.

Good Luck

My email is huongle_ca@yahoo.ca