Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

my boyfriend has always had pretty bad acne, he's constantly breaking out and getting cysts. before i met him i never had much of a problem. i'd get a pimple or two here and there. now since we've been sleeping in the same bed i've noticed bacne breakouts (NEVER had bacne before) and my face is a mess. i wrote awhile ago the bc has helped but i still am not 100% clear and my back itches all the time from the pimples.

i just feel horrible all around. my skin is so dry and itchy, but my face's pores have become bigger, oilier and my back isn't improving much.

i just don't know what to do, i feel at a loss right now, as if i contracted his "disease" and now i have to live with it for the rest of my life.

I highly doubt acne is contagious. As for why you are breaking out in your 20s, well it's not uncommon. Some people get their FIRST huge breakouts at the age of 28, some at 18. It really varies and we have no exact idea to why.

Have you change your diet?

Are you stressed?

Not enough sleep?

eusa_shifty.gif

The only thing I can think of is.. are you using the same products as him to wash your face? Cos if he uses anti acne products, if you use them and don't have acne, they would be too harsh for you and cause you to break out? Other explanation would be that its not acne you are suffering from? Perhaps you are allergic to the detergent he uses to wash his sheets?

Well, I always would say no, acne is not contagious....but if u think about it, acne is caused by bacteria...and bacteria can be transferred...maybe "acne" is not contagious, but maybe the bacteria is, and if it find a particular skin it can develop and forming acne....just my 2 cents.....

Its not.

Really, alot of people dont breakout until theyre adults, and its acctually quite common for women to have acne even in their 20s because we have more fluctuations in our hormones than men do. Alot of women also get breakouts a week or so before their period since their levels of androgens are higher then.

Hormones also change over time, they never really 'stabilize' completely.

Everybody has P.Acne, the problem isnt the bacteria, the problem is the substances that the bacteria secrete when it becomes trapped in the follicles and replicates without oxygen. The disease isnt in the bacteria, its in the follicles (and in some cases, with the hormones).

When the bacteria become resistant they dont necessarily become more aggressive, they just find a way to circumvent the mechanism of action of the antibiotics. Its possible that you have antibioticresistant P.Acnes, but its really not likely since you havent used any antibiotics on them to make them resistant, and if you do it shouldnt pose a problem unless you try to treat them with the antibiotics they're resistant to.

The reason why white American population have higher incidence than some other ethnic groups is because different ethnic groups carry different genes (if you look at it generally, not looking at the individuals). You find this with almost every disease, some genes are present in a much larger extent in some population than in another.

Heres a page where u can read more if u want to:

http://www.healthyskinbydesign.com/acne.cfm

biggrin.gif LOL. I think I posted the same EXACT thing a while back but everyone jumped down my throat for even thinking it could possibly be contagious. But, I never had a pimple until I had been with him for a few months. Not ONE. And now I have oily skin and constant breakouts (or at least I did before I started Dan's regimen) for the last 10 years, I am 29 now and was 19 when we met. Coincidence? I think not.

Are you having a lot of sex? I've been spending quite a lot of time with by boyfriend, and although we both had very mild acne to start with, we've both notice an increase on our skin... and have attributed it to having sex more often than we were used to.

palegirl & productjunkie,

I am 27 y.o., I did not have acne as a teen, I did not have oily skin as a teen. I also did not have a boyfriend with acne at the age of 20 when I began experiencing major skin problems. I still have some acne, and I know if I were to stop the regimen - I would have loads more (I still do not have a boyfriend with acne).

I'm really sorry to be the one to say this, but you have adult acne. It's not uncommon in the least, but unfortunately, it's usually tougher to treat than teenage acne.

Try the regimen, and please, don't blame it on your boyfriend, I can't even imagine how horribly he must feel at the suggestion (no matter how much he shrugs it off).

Ok heres the deal. If your sleeping on a pillow that he has been sleeping on its best to change your pillow case frequently. Outside the body acne bacteria does not last long. If you been well you know having sex with each other in bed this could cause hormones to fly and their for breakouts. Try to find this out when your boyfriend uses the pot does it stink. If it does then your boyfriend is backup he probably should be on a high fiber diet or take fiber therapy capsules . If he dosent then your probably sleeping with a toxic person in bed every night. I'm not joking either. Depending on how close you get with each other if you rub faces or bodys or whatever else you do in bed your probably getting some of his oil on your face or body. So I recommend up the amount of showers you take. Or take a shower after anything physical you do in bed together. If no sex is involved that night then take a shower before you go to bed and take one when you wake up. But the last thing you want to do is accuse him of anything. Me being a guy I find that really as and offense. And would have left in a flash. Putting down a guy especially with acne is even more of a blow to his self esteem. If anything you should try to help him with his acne. Take concern for it. My girlfriend helps me wash my face and she's naked to boot how erotic is that. I call it the regimen with a hard on.

So anyway beside my girlfriend I have tackled my acne problems. Also when ever we sleep together we always agree we should take a shower before we go to bed. Of course if we have it out that night we take are showers afterwards. I hope this helps.

I have asked the question if acne is contagious ..but I have acne and I do not really know anyone with acne like me. No one in my family and none of my friends. I also didn't have acne as a teen and develolped it at twenty.. my doctor told me it was due to a hormone change possibly or stress. I am not sure if those are even right. This may sound crazy too but when ever I have had a boyfriend I think my horomones change, and I am not even sexual with any of these guys. I don't know if realtinoships cause stress for me, but I actually think maybe it is beause I am maybe getting his oils on my skin and perhpas causing an hormone change. There have been studies done on this too. Girls that grow up with step dad generally get their periods sooner and maybe it is because of another mans oils being around them. Well, just some thoughts. hope both you and your boyfriend can get your acne problems figured out.. best luck to you in your relationship.

maybe he has dirty pillows or a dusty room or something.... in some relation to him but not directly.

palegirl & productjunkie,

I am 27 y.o., I did not have acne as a teen, I did not have oily skin as a teen. I also did not have a boyfriend with acne at the age of 20 when I began experiencing major skin problems. I still have some acne, and I know if I were to stop the regimen - I would have loads more (I still do not have a boyfriend with acne).

I'm really sorry to be the one to say this, but you have adult acne. It's not uncommon in the least, but unfortunately, it's usually tougher to treat than teenage acne.

Try the regimen, and please, don't blame it on your boyfriend, I can't even imagine how horribly he must feel at the suggestion (no matter how much he shrugs it off).

Something similar happened to me when I was living with my brother. He had really bad acne and we shared a bed. I didn't think much of it at first but a couple of months after I started breaking out like never before (on my forehead) and then my whole face went crazy. I had pimples on my cheeks and other places where I'd NEVER had them! It's weird because I had always had nice skin. All I know is that after living with him and sharing the same bed, my skin has never been the same. neutral.gif

I read a book by a dermatologist, I cant remember what it was called exactly, but it was something imaginative like "Healthy Skin". Anyway, he blamed the growing incidence of acne and other skin conditions on people overheating and overcleansing their skin. He said you should never overheat at night, as this causes you to sweat and overproduce oil, which leads to acne. Only using a couple of blankets at night, and not getting too hot slows down acne. He had a few pictures of his patients, and the results were quite convincing. Anyway, my point is that may be you're getting acne because your sleeping in the same conditions as your boyfriend is. If youre both getting overheated during the night, that could exacerbate oily skin and acne.