Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
marcin872

why do most derms not allow accutane

every one i hear says that there derm says no when they ask why do they care if u want the side effects go ahead because i rather have clear skin and side effects. IM going to ask my derm on my next appointment if i can try accutane because acne has really messed up my life really bad. ive been taking mino for about 3 and a half years and it helps but no enough and i still break out and when i stop for alittle i get the worst breakouts. Also would accutane stop u from getting razor bumps and acne from shaving because thats my biggest problem to and i shave correctly but still get them and im all scared from that

shaving isnt really too much of a problem for me. mainly because i only shve a few hairs from my cheeks. i mainy grow hair around my chin and all over my neck. but i realise that sometimes, when i shave my cheeks it does aggravate the acne slightly because i can see im shaving the hair molecules growing from small bumps that is the acne. i wish i didnt have to. i realise that shaving for some people is quite bad, because it does aggravate acne. not sure if tane wud fix it. you would need replies from guys post tane. why not grow a beard? lol

and in answer to the question, derms are pricks. probably.

I'm not 100% positive about this, but from what I know- acne that is on a man's face, and stemming from hair follicles is usually a type of ingrown hair situation. You can either completely clear this type of problem up or at least help it ALOT by using ingrown eliminator products. It's not a bacterial infection, the hair actually is too thick for the follicle and cant penetrate the skin correctly so it grows UNDER the skin, causing a bump- sometimes with a whitehead- but it isnt bacteria or oil causing it.

If you want, try exfoliating- and then after shaving (not directly after, it will burn like hell!!) But, a few hours or the next day- swipe an ingrown eliminating product over the areas you shaved. You can try different ones (they are not EXPENSIVE but for most guys, they would see it as expensive) but its worth a try, I guess.

CompletelyBare.com (sells something like Oxy pads, but for anti-ingrowns), Bliss Spa (Sephora.com- Ingrown Eliminating Pads.), or Tend Skin which you can get at Sephora also, or you can sometimes find it at places in the mall like Trade Secret, or certain salons in the area... Usually ones who perform waxing services because these products really work for that type of problem.

Anyway, I hope I was somewhat of a help!! Good luck with everything, and it will get better!

Hey Marcin..

I live in Miami,Fl and most of the derms suggest to take accutane.. they say that its the best there is..atleast my derm said that...

they just dont want to be responsible for if anything bad was to happen

i believe if they really personally care to help you get rid of it, theyll perscribe it

I've never been to a derm I deal straight with my family doctor and he was very willing to put me on Accutane. I think it really depends on the doctor but you have to be honest with them. If acne is controlling your life, then tell them about it. I think most doctors are very understanding. As for shaving, I have sensitive skin so i try to shave as little as possible. I'm just starting Accutane so i'm really going to limit shaving my face to once every 2 weeks or so. I am not a very uhh hairy guy so i can go 2 + weeks without shaving and not have a huge beard. eusa_shifty.gif I also notice that i have no acne in the places my facial hair grows. My neck, chin and cheek area are virtually acne free. So yeah, i dont shave often.

Some of the many reasons why a derm says no to Accutane:

Some patients want accutane for something that accutane will not work on. Your case is a good example, as accutane is not intended for, nor will it help pseudofolliculitis barbae (shaving bumps).

Accutane is intended for only two situations, and many patients do not know what those circumstances are. If you come in the office and you do not meet the prescribing requirements, you don't get accutane, no matter how much you think you need it.

The prescribing of accutane is dangerous to the prescriber in many ways. Therefore, if a prescriber thinks that there is a good chance that you will not comply with the regimen, or thinks your level of intelligence is too low to understand why you would need to comply with the regimen, you don't get accutane.

dermpro-

Enlighten me on what the 2 situations are for prescribing accutane.

Because this is kind of what I took from your comments..

Here is why you can't have accutane, kids. You are either a smartass (i.e. not complying with the regimen set forth by the almighty derm) or a dumbass (low level of intelligence).

Am I wrong? Are you saying that someone walks in the office with a serious case of acne, but they show classic symptoms of dumb- and they don't get accutane? That's harsh.

dermpro-

Enlighten me on what the 2 situations are for prescribing accutane.

Because this is kind of what I took from your comments..

Here is why you can't have accutane, kids.  You are either a smartass (i.e. not complying with the regimen set forth by the almighty derm)  or a dumbass (low level of intelligence). 

Am I wrong?  Are you saying that someone walks in the office with a serious case of acne, but they show classic symptoms of dumb- and they don't get accutane?  That's harsh.

My perspective is not that of a denied patient, actually. I don't need accutane- even though I would take it because I don't like acne in general.. But I do not break out enough to warrant accutane. So, yes I was denied- But my perspective is from a mind that comprehends each side of the story/situation.

I was not denied because I am a smart/dumb ass- I was denied because I didn't exhaust all other options yet- and my acne isn't bad enough for it. I can see the perspective of the dermatologist, and completely understand accutane and it's side effects..not only physically but the fact that it might not work, and if it doesn't work- it is not the fault of the derm nor yourself... It just didn't work.

So, I felt like your comments were a little, well, inappropriate? Not sure what word I'm lookin for, but I think you summed it up into 2 categories and that isn't the case. There are many reasons. That's all I'm sayin...

they just dont want to be responsible for if anything bad was to happen

i believe if they really personally care to help you get rid of it, theyll perscribe it

I really cannot believe some of you. If you have tried every option and are elgible to take accutane the derm will give it to you. If havent tried anything yet, stop looking for the quick fix then whining about you not being allowed. Accutane is extremly powerful and can have some nasty side effects of course the derm is going to protect themselves, its thier livlyhood, if you had studied for years to be a derm set up your practice and got clients would you really risk it all for some snotty nosed kid who hasn't even tried all the less harsh treatments. I think not.

for the record, i had severe acne for six years and have just finished my couse of Roaccutane. I am glad i waited because i wouldn't want to go through that again simply because i was impatient. My derm prescribed it straight away because i needed it and there was nothing left for me to try.

My perspective is not that of a denied patient, actually. I don't need accutane- even though I would take it because I don't like acne in general.. But I do not break out enough to warrant accutane. So, yes I was denied- But my perspective is from a mind that comprehends each side of the story/situation.

I was not denied because I am a smart/dumb ass- I was denied because I didn't exhaust all other options yet- and my acne isn't bad enough for it. I can see the perspective of the dermatologist, and completely understand accutane and it's side effects..not only physically but the fact that it might not work, and if it doesn't work- it is not the fault of the derm nor yourself... It just didn't work. 

So, I felt like your comments were a little, well, inappropriate? Not sure what word I'm lookin for, but I think you summed it up into 2 categories and that isn't the case. There are many reasons. That's all I'm sayin...

I really cannot believe some of you. If you have tried every option and are elgible to take accutane the derm will give it to you. If havent tried anything yet, stop looking for the quick fix then whining about you not being allowed. Accutane is extremly powerful and can  have some nasty side effects of course the derm is going to protect themselves, its thier livlyhood, if you had studied for years to be a derm set up your practice and got clients would you really risk it all for some snotty nosed kid who hasn't even tried all the less harsh treatments. I think not.

for the record, i had severe acne for six years and have just finished my couse of Roaccutane. I am glad i waited because i wouldn't want to go through that again simply because i was impatient. My derm prescribed it straight away because i needed it and there was nothing left for me to try.

Well, I think you should check your own writing skills because you say in the first sentence there are a few reasons, but immediately go on to say there are only 2 things accutane is intended for and if you do not meet those, you do not get accutane. So...If there are many reasons, how come there are only 2 ??

I never attacked you as a person, I was asking what you meant and stated that something you said was a bit nasty. I never came at you- so I think you should go back and check your own maturity- Especially since you are supposedly a dermatologist or something?? (Which baffles me because you told someone to use benzoyl peroxide with retin a micro...and it clearly states on retin-a micro's insert and website that they cannot be used together.) So, you need to grow up a little bit and don't be so defensive if someone disagrees with you. I never said you are stupid or don't make valid points- but this is a forum to speak your mind and I felt like what you said could offend/did offend some people and I didn't find it to be completely true. I didn't even address you in a way that was nasty. I questioned what you said, and maybe that makes you uncomfortable because you don't really know what the hell you are talking about.

And I said "inappropriate" ending with a question mark, and also stated I wasn't sure that was the right word to use- So, when you say "telling the truth is inappropriate?" No, That isn't the case. But telling YOUR truth is inappropriate because each dermatologist works under a common criteria, but many go beyond that criteria for certain cases.

I'd like to know your age as well....I'm sure you are much older than I am, and that's sad....

Well, I think you should check your own writing skills because you say in the first sentence there are a few reasons, but immediately go on to say there are only 2 things accutane is intended for and if you do not meet those, you do not get accutane.  So...If there are many reasons, how come there are only 2 ??

The many reasons why someone would deny accutane can have nothing to do with the two indications for usage.  IOW, even if you do happen to meet the clinical criteria for accutane, you can still get denied for many other reasons.  Your inability to discern between these two separate concepts only serves to confirm your poor comprehension skills.

I never attacked you as a person, I was asking what you meant and stated that something you said was a bit nasty.  I never came at you- so I think you should go back and check your own maturity- Especially since you are supposedly a dermatologist or something??  (Which baffles me because you told someone to use benzoyl peroxide with retin a micro...and it clearly states on retin-a micro's insert and website that they cannot be used together.) 

Wrong again.  There is only one contraindication to the usage of RA, and it has nothing to do with simultaneous usage of a BP (check your insert).  Of course you have no idea as to what the difference is between a contraindication and a precaution is, or what they mean in a clinical setting.  I always find it amusing when someone tries to talk about something of which they have no knowledge - it only serves to let everyone know just how ignorant they really are.

Dermpro and Turnergirl, I think you're being very insensitive. I don't see any immaturity, "snotty nosed kids", ignorance or anything remotely close in this thread. FrankieBGirl is a respected, mature, intelligent contributer to the Prescriptions forum. I'm shocked at how harsh both of you are responding to this. It's perfectly reasonable for a patient to want the best treatment out there, and question why it isn't more readily available. Accutane isn't just a "quick fix", it's for many patients the only treatment that has lasting results. If it's the most effective, I think it's totally logical that anyone suffering from acne would desire it over treatments that have reputations for being inferior, or temporary.

I wanted Accutane SO badly before I was finally prescribed it. I had to go through two rounds of antibiotics, topicals that did nothing, and then finally I was given Accutane after I broke down in tears in the derm office. I now have rolling scars on both of my cheeks that occurred during the time I wasn't given Accutane. I'm clear, but the texture of my skin is scarred where it never was before. If I could have gone on Accutane years earlier, I would have in a heartbeat. If I could take back the years of trying the less harsh treatments, I would. I'd go straight to the Accutane, absolutely no doubt. This is just my perspective.

Mae

I really cannot believe some of you. If you have tried every option and are elgible to take accutane the derm will give it to you. If havent tried anything yet, stop looking for the quick fix then whining about you not being allowed. Accutane is extremly powerful and can  have some nasty side effects of course the derm is going to protect themselves, its thier livlyhood, if you had studied for years to be a derm set up your practice and got clients would you really risk it all for some snotty nosed kid who hasn't even tried all the less harsh treatments. I think not.

The reason they don't perscribe it right away is because it can seriously mess you up. For example, there's a possible side effect where fluid builds up in your skull/around your brain and can be very painful and dangerous. Plus it's a very strong antibiotic, so it'll weaken your immune system, making it easier for you to get sick.

But if you think you need it, talk to your derm about it.

Accutane is seen as a last resort and most derms will only prescribe it if your acne does not respond adequately to other acne medications. For example if you were on differin for 6 months and at the end of that course you only had 2-3 lesions at anytime, then the majority of derms would not prescribe you the 'tane, some would though. If after 6 months you had seen a reduction of lesions but still had several lesions at one time, then they would probably put you on it. Convincing derms can take time and effort though, believe me! Additionally, MasterXaero, it isnt an antibiotic, it does have some antibacterial properties but little is known about that, but yes it can affect your immune system and make you sick, but that is one of the rarer side effects