Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WayBackMachine

Topical Retinoids Cure Acne?

A friend showed me an essay that was published in the Washington Post a while back -- kind of a humorous look at one guy's struggle with acne -- where he claims that, like Accutane, topical retinoids cure acne in some people (in other words, the acne doesn't come back when stopping treatment). I've never heard that before -- does anyone know if it's true?

A friend showed me an essay that was published in the Washington Post a while back -- kind of a humorous look at one guy's struggle with acne -- where he claims that, like Accutane, topical retinoids cure acne in some people (in other words, the acne doesn't come back when stopping treatment). I've never heard that before -- does anyone know if it's true?

Guest ldanielle

Theoretically it would be true because retinoids help teach the pores how to shed properly and they get all the gook out. Of course accutane is still more effective..anyway most people still have to use it forever. I know if I use retin a every day I am 100% clear.

Guest ldanielle

I see, did you get an initial breakout with lots of whiteheads within about the first month? I'm just really curious as I've started it and am hoping it's going to get better after it's gotten worse... so I'm interested in how other people got on with it eusa_think.gif

I don't think topical retinoids have any effect on sebum (I don't know of anything that has been shown to reduce sebum applied topically).

There is no true cure for acne.  However, there are many who do find that their acne doesn't return after successful treatment.  They aren't "cured" so much as they are lucky.  Since the majority of acne patients will see a return of their acne at some point if they stop treatment, the average acne patient should be on long-term maintenance therapy.