Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have been reluctant to make this post, but if it helps someone else then I suppose it is a good thing.

I am older than most people posting here as I have about 30 years of experience of living with acne. Now that I am older it is much better, but I still have to be concerned with the dreaded first look in the mirror in the morning to see what has or hasn't developed (you know the drill).

At any rate, I decided about 3 and a half months ago to give the acnelamp a try. It advertised a 90 money back guarantee and before ordering it I called the company to inquire about the details of this guarantee. When I called, they thought I was trying to return a lamp and gave me absolutely no grief, simply telling me how to do it. They seemed surprised when I told them I was not trying to return one, and I was just asking about the details of their policy. They said that about 30% of the people return them as it does not work for everyone. At any rate, I took it as a good sign and decided to risk the $199 and give it a try.

After about 8 weeks I thought I began to see positive improvements. I used it for two 15 minute sessions a day for the first couple of weeks and then just 15 minutes a day after that. In a purely stupidly non-scientific method, I also made the change to a milder soap shortly thereafter. I had been using OxyClean face wash as this was the only thing that worked for me for the past umpteen years. But, the redness was a problem. I switched to just a Purpose fash wash a few weeks into using the acnelamp. But, like probably most of you, I have tried numerous face washes (including this Purpose one) over the years without success, always having to return to the OxyWash so I don't think the change of soap was the difference. It is nice, however, to now be able to use a milder soap and not break out like before.

After about week 8 or 9 we took a vacation to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. It was SO humid down there, along with the salt air & heat, that my face could not tolerate it. I peeled like three times while I was down there that week. After coming back I immediately started up again on the acnelamp and within two to three weeks I was getting back to about where I was prior to leaving for Mexico.

Another variable, to give full disclosure, was I grew a goatee while in Mexico and kept it. I suppose the added hair might benefit my complexion by not having to shave that section and maybe it help "wick away" oil. But again, I was experiencing the success prior to the trip without the goatee and past facial hair growths have not made this kind of difference. Also, I am now able to shave with a razor, something I have never been able to do without breaking out badly (I always had to use a rotary style electric shaver). This is a definite change in what my face will tolerate from before the acnelamp.

My wife made fun of my "snake oil" lamp when I bought it, but she has since stated that she has noticed a true difference since I began using it and now she is starting to use it as well. It will be interesting to see what, if any results she gets.

So, take it for whatever it is worth. So far, it seems to be helpful to me. Not a cure by any means, but definitely an improvement. I also use Retin A Micro .04% (the .10% is way too strong and just makes me continuously peel, red and break out but the .04% does not) but I was using this long before the acnelamp with only moderate success (thus the search for the acnelamp).

I hope this helps someone, I know what a struggle this worthless condition can be.

hey im really glad that this is working for you...there arent alot of people on this forum that use or have used the blue and red light therapy...im guessing its because of the high cost of getting one. I myself have been using a similar product which is from a different company called Sci Color. I am currently 4 and 1/2 weeks in on my treatment and i have defnitely noticed an improvement on my skin as well... i still breakout but its not as severe as they were before i started the light treatment. Im hoping for much better results as i hit the 8 week mark as well....im guessing u read the british journal of dermatology case study that is from the acnelamp website as well.....it says that by week 4 there is a usually a 50% improvement in the # of acne...by week 8 my skin should be 60 % better and by week 12 they say i should see 76% improvement overall.. so i guess i have along way to go but hopefully i still get more better results.

Anyways .. keep us posted and i wish you the best of luck with ur acnelamp.

heres the link to my thread if u wanna check it out...

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...topic=59131&hl=

hey im really glad that this is working for you...there arent alot of people on this forum that use or have used the blue and red light therapy...im guessing its because of the high cost of getting one.  I myself have been using a similar product which is from a different company called Sci Color.  I am currently 4 and 1/2 weeks in on my treatment and i have defnitely noticed an improvement on my skin as well... i still breakout but its not as severe as they were before i started the light treatment.  Im hoping for much better results as i hit the 8 week mark as well....im guessing u read the british journal of dermatology case study that is from the acnelamp website as well.....it says that by week 4 there is a usually a 50% improvement in the # of acne...by week 8 my skin should be 60 % better and by week 12 they say i should see 76% improvement overall..  so i guess i have along way to go but hopefully i still get more better results. 

Anyways .. keep us posted and i wish you the best of luck with ur acnelamp.

heres the link to my thread if u wanna check it out...

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...topic=59131&hl=

I have been reluctant to make this post, but if it helps someone else then I suppose it is a good thing. 

I am older than most people posting here as I have about 30 years of experience of living with acne.  Now that I am older it is much better, but I still have to be concerned with the dreaded first look in the mirror in the morning to see what has or hasn't developed (you know the drill).

At any rate, I decided about 3 and a half months ago to give the acnelamp a try.  It advertised a 90 money back guarantee and before ordering it I called the company to inquire about the details of this guarantee.  When I called, they thought I was trying to return a lamp and gave me absolutely no grief, simply telling me how to do it. They seemed surprised when I told them I was not trying to return one, and I was just asking about the details of their policy.  They said that about 30% of the people return them as it does not work for everyone.  At any rate, I took it as a good sign and decided to risk the $199 and give it a try.

After about 8 weeks I thought I began to see positive improvements.  I used it for two 15 minute sessions a day for the first couple of weeks and then just 15 minutes a day after that.  In a purely stupidly non-scientific method, I also made the change to a milder soap shortly thereafter.  I had been using OxyClean face wash as this was the only thing that worked for me for the past umpteen years.  But, the redness was a problem.  I switched to just a Purpose fash wash a few weeks into using the acnelamp.  But, like probably most of you, I have tried numerous face washes (including this Purpose one) over the years without success, always having to return to the OxyWash so I don't think the change of soap was the difference.  It is nice, however, to now be able to use a milder soap and not break out like before.

After about week 8 or 9 we took a vacation to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.  It was SO humid down there, along with the salt air & heat, that my face could not tolerate it. I peeled like three times while I was down there that week.  After coming back I immediately started up again on the acnelamp and within two to three weeks I was getting back to about where I was prior to leaving for Mexico. 

Another variable, to give full disclosure, was I grew a goatee while in Mexico and kept it. I suppose the added hair might benefit my complexion by not having to shave that section and maybe it help "wick away" oil.  But again, I was experiencing the success prior to the trip without the goatee and past facial hair growths have not made this kind of difference.  Also, I am now able to shave with a razor, something I have never been able to do without breaking out badly (I always had to use a rotary style electric shaver).  This is a definite change in what my face will tolerate from before the acnelamp. 

My wife made fun of my "snake oil" lamp when I bought it, but she has since stated that she has noticed a true difference since I began using it and now she is starting to use it as well.  It will be interesting to see what, if any results she gets.

So, take it for whatever it is worth.  So far, it seems to be helpful to me.  Not a cure by any means, but definitely an improvement.  I also use Retin A Micro .04% (the .10% is way too strong and just makes me continuously peel, red and break out but the .04% does not) but I was using this long before the acnelamp with only moderate success (thus the search for the acnelamp).

I hope this helps someone, I know what a struggle this worthless condition can be.