Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bubbletoes

tinted moisturizer

hey all, had a quick question:

what exactly does tinted moisturizer do? I know that most tinted moisturizers have SPF, but how effective is the "tinted" part?

thanks!

i disagree. If you have slightly okay skin, minor flaws (I have a lot of bumps) it can be a much better alternative to foundation. Just put some powder over it and it can look way more natural than full makeup. Plus you moisturize a bit.

If you know how to cover with a tinted moisturizer (dab and blend) it can make your complexion look better than not wearing any kind of cover up on your face. It doesn't cover much, but it helps even out skin tone. Plus, it's breathable coverage.

I like Proactive's Sheer Tint Moisture with SPF 15.

Thanks for the replies and opinions, but I am still curious--

sakt23 and SHK, it sounds like tinted moisturizer might be what I'm looking for; something that breathes well, won't give me a "made-up" look, but evens out skintone. You guys seem to have experience, so

Can it lessen redness? How long does the tint last (AKA can you moisturize once in the morning and make it through the day with the tint?)? Can you buy the Neutrogena tinted moisturizer at a drugstore?

I'm just tired of wearing foundation and looking unnaturally madeup, especially for morning classes. I haven't worn any foundation/powder for a couple months since being on the Regimen. My skin is clearing up well and evening out, and I'm confident enough to let my natural skin show through, though tinted moiturizer might be handy during these latter stages of the Regimen. Thanks for the advice!

hey all, had a quick question:

what exactly does tinted moisturizer do? I know that most tinted moisturizers have SPF, but how effective is the "tinted" part?

thanks!

It evens out your skin tone, and will hide minor problems (slight redness, light marks). It'll make your skin look nicer and isn't at all noticeable smile.gif

I like to make my own tinted moisturizer by mixing some foundation with my normal moisturizer. Then you've got a tinted moisturizer that is a perfect match to your skin tone and that you know won't break you out.

Last night my mom walks in after I washed my face and she looked at me and said: "sophe don't forget to take off you're makeup before you go to bed" and I felt so proud to tell her that I already had. She looked at me and told me my face looked so great!

I was with a TTO bar and then I apply sea breeze astringent(am) or burts bees toner (pm). I put on Neutrogena's Skin Clearing Clean Tint in the morning and then I put on a little bit of powder. I dont have to reapply all day. I love that neutrogena's TM has salicylic acid in it, because yes, it has been clearing my face and I am so happy about it :o)

Bubbletoes,

My experience with a tinted moisturizer is that it does not last all day (that's just me because I have oily skin), but, I still like to use them when I don't want to wear foundation. It depends on your skin type. It does lessen redness and evens out skintone, however, how much it's going to cover depends on the condition of your skin. It obviously doesn't cover up as good a foundation or concealer.

Neutrogena's Skin Clearing Clear Tint is a great product because of the salicylic acid (as Sakt23 has mentioned), and the breathable coverage, however, it is NOT a moisturizer (found in the make-up section at most drug stores, not in the skin care section), and you may need to use a moisturizer before using it if you have dry patches/dry skin. This type of product is highly recommended if you have "problem skin" because it heals and covers at the same time.

Oh, Caite's mixing foundation with a moisturizer is a good idea as well!

However, I just learned (I'm a make-up artist in training) that some products (some foundations and moisturizers are like water and oil) don't mix well and the final results can look streaky.

If you happen to encounter that problem, you can put some moisturizer on a sponge, or dab the sponge into the moisturizer, then dab the sponge with the foundation, and dab lightly on your face. Then there you have it; a lighter foundation with moisturizing benefits/tinted moisturizer. wink.gif

SHK--I'm so glad I'm getting advice from an artist in training! I've been going to counters in department stores, and really. Most of those women have NO clue what's going on with their products.

Anywhoo, Neutrogena is sounding great, but I'm a little wary of this salycilic (?) acid...now that just sounds like it's going to burn like a bitch. I have somewhat sensitive skin (I have to moisturize before I put on benzoyl peroxide, and then moisturize again...I couldn't make it through the pain of Dan's way for more than three days). What does it feel like putting it on after moisturizer?

Once again, thanks for all the help!

depends on the tinited moisturizer of course, but i use bobbi brown's tinted moisturizing balm, spf 25. it's amazing.

Nope.. i use the Clear Tint.. and it works great. It doesnt break me out.. obviously.. && i know my skin doesnt feel trapped... so breathable.. Anyways.. it only contains .5% on SA.. so it def wont sting or nothing.. it really just looks like a foundation when you squeeze it out of the bottle. && applying it is so easy. It really does even out the skin tone. && w/ a lil powder.. flawless.. for me anyways. I can usually just go out w/o the powder && its decent. I'd def give it a try.. you might find a surprise instore. It REALLY doesnt look lyke it could cover.. but it does.

i used to use dove tinted moisturiser before my acne came back and haunt me again cry.gif

it give some coverage, but doesn't help much with red marks but gives the skin a bit of a glow, especially if you mix a tiny bit of shimmer into it.