Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ok, so I had an appointment today with the dermatologist's assistant today and I had to break her off a piece of my mind.

First off, a little background: 27 yr old female, battling acne for about 6 years or so, purpose of appointment was to get Accutane, previous meds used:

Tazorac

Retin A

Clindamycin

Differin

Tetracyclin

BP, SA, AHA, Proactiv and a whole crap load of over the counter mess.

So, I go in there fairly confident that she will have no problem prescribing accutane because (1) I've been battling acne for so long, and (2) all of the meds that I've tried past and present. Makes sense right? No! To my utter disbelief she suggested another oral antibiotic and told me that she was not going to give me accutane, because I had not tried enough alternatives!! Not tried enough?? I've spent thousands of dollars trying to battle this damn acne for 6 years and I haven't tried enough.

So I told her, "look lady, before you go trying to give me doxycyclin, minocyclin or some other antibiotic, tell me if you know what it's like to not want to look in the mirror? or if you know what it's like to wash your face and feel bump after painful bump on your FACE?, or lay down to go to sleep and remember that you can't sleep on that side because the massive pimple on your cheek hurts so damn bad, or have to break plans with your friends because you're too embarrassed to go out?, or have so much oil on your face that you have to use 10+ oil blotting sheets per day?"

So she says, "yes I hear you, but I really don't think you've exhausted all possibilities. There are still other oral antibiotics you can try" Now this really annoyed me because when I was on Tetracyclin my skin was at its worst and I had horrible yeast infections! So I told her there was no way I was going to go back on antibiotics because I'd have to use them for the rest of my life and that's not an option with the yeast infections they give me. So she goes and talks to the dermatologist to get her advice and the derm told her to give it to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hahahahaha When she came back in the room and told me that the derm gave the okay she was so mad that the derm went against her. Anyway, provided that all my bloodwork comes back okay I should be starting the tane soon.

why the hell did they get you to see the dermatologist assistant in the first place?? are they a dermatologist in training or something?? i don't understand.

why the hell did they get you to see the dermatologist assistant in the first place?? are they a dermatologist in training or something?? i don't understand.

Good for you not taking no for an answer! I think a lot of derms don't take into consideration the psychological effects acne has on people. If they see someone has tried so many things and is miserable with the way their skin looks they should just prescribe Accutane...we're the ones risking side effects and obviously we think it's worth the risk. I know I do! I cry every time I see my derm. My acne isn't that bad right now, but he still said he'll prescribe Accutane if I want it....he understands how depressed I get when I keep breaking out.....I'm glad he's compassionate....it took awhile to find him though.

Guest virgo

I'm really glad you didn't just let her give u some crap you didn't want!

My dermatologist is this middle aged guy who just rushes its like in and out, he just asks if i've seen any improvement, and whips out his prescription pad.. the whole ordeal is over in about 2 minutes every time, and he calls me "champ" a lot. Grr.. weirdo?! lol. I hope the accutane works for you.

My dermatologist is this middle aged guy who just rushes its like in and out, he just asks if i've seen any improvement, and whips out his prescription pad.. the whole ordeal is over in about 2 minutes every time, and he calls me "champ" a lot. Grr.. weirdo?! lol. I hope the accutane works for you.

My dermatologist is named James Bond. And he's fairly nice. But I of course still hate him because he hasn't been able to make my skin clear and that is his damn job.