Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Huskers916

Milk?????????

I went to the derm today, and he told me to stop drinking milk because there are hormones in milk that cause acne.... Has anyone else been told this? did it work?

I went to the derm today, and he told me to stop drinking milk because there are hormones in milk that cause acne.... Has anyone else been told this? did it work?

I have a theory...

0-5 yrs. old they have clear soft good skin 'coz they drink milk.

6-9 yrs. old they start to drink juice, still good

10-14 yrs. old they get addicted in softdrinks, start of pimples.

15-to their death age, then start and get used to drink alchohols... acne messageboards is formed.

Hehehehehe razz.gif

Mother's milk is still best and it comes in two beautiful containers biggrin.gif

It's a new thing in the scientific literature, and still needs more testing. They think it's a sugar that's in the millk.

But if you decide to skip the dairy products - PLEASE make sure you get your calcium some other way (other foods and/or vitamins)- if you don't, you'll have serious health problems later.

:o)

It's a new thing in the scientific literature, and still needs more testing.  They think it's a sugar that's in the millk. 

But if you decide to skip the dairy products - PLEASE make sure you get your calcium some other way (other foods and/or vitamins)- if you don't, you'll have serious health problems later. 

It's a new thing in the scientific literature, and still needs more testing.  They think it's a sugar that's in the millk. 

Is soy milk okay?

The jury's kind of out on soy milk - there's a lot of good research showing health benefits of soymilk, too. It's hard to balance all the conflicting studies out there, and to recognize whether it's really research or just a hidden agenda.

Either way:

If you do decide to try soy, drink the unsweetened if you can.

Or if not - vitamin supplements! I like those new chewable ones - in chocolate.

It's only been a few days, but my skin is already looking great. I don't know if it's the milk deprivation or the Retin-A. but i'm getting great results

Would organic mile be a better alternative maybe?

I know organic is much healthier than standard (more vitamins, calcium etc).. hmmm eusa_think.gif

I wouldn't wanna stop drinking milk though as it's needed to help your bones grow etc etc

i have cut off milk completely and guess what no zits, nada, of course my derm never told me this ten years ago. All she would say is spend money on this or spend money on my new lazer or something new all the time. Start basic, drink water, exercise, avoid all dairy eg. milk, icecream, cheese, yogurt. I truly beleive this was the number 1 reason for my acne problems. Make sure to take a calcium pill though you still wan't strong bones..good luck

Someone posted this awhile ago, I never tried it though:

good news: I discovered 11 years ago that 8 oz. daily of yogurt with a live culture of acidophilus made it possible to consume milk without breaking out. The texture of my skin even changed and I no longer have grains of hardened oil that I used to feel under the skin of my face. Today I can eat chocolate, French fries, cola drinks and chocolate malts, ice cream, cheese, and other foods that have been implicated in acne, without breaking out. All I have to do is eat any brand of yogurt daily with live culture. I have shared this information with friends who tried it and also experienced good results. My story is outlined further below.

For five years, starting in 1983, I kept diet logs and watched for cause and effect relationships between food and my adult acne. I was shocked to find that milk turned out to be the single cause of my acne. When I eliminated it as far as possible, I got my acne under control. Because of the fact that milk and milk by-products are in almost all processed and baked foods, I could not eliminate it entirely. I became a compulsive label reader and my family tolerated strange adaptations of recipes that mocked the real thing containing milk product. I considered that this cause and effect relationship might be psychosomatic, but this was not born out by the empirical evidence. If I broke out unexpectedly while following my diet carefully, I would play detective and most times traced it to the use of butter or milk in something where it had not been anticipated.

For all the satisfaction of clear skin however, I still missed milk. In 1988, I picked up a brochure that dealt with the implication of acidophilus deficiency in milk intolerance. It is common knowledge these days that milk intolerance as a digestive problem is manageable with supplementation of Acidophilus. Back then it was less well known by the average person. I did not have much hope that adding Acidophilus to my diet would help a skin problem but I decided to do an experiment with as much built in control as possible. I strictly watched my food intake to eliminate milk for two week. My skin was clear. I then ate ice cream several times in one day. Two days later I had a huge pimple on my nose. It took two more weeks of strict diet excluding milk before my skin was clear again and I felt I could proceed with the experiment. I bought seven carton of yogurt wit live culture of acidophilus. During the course of eating one carton each day for a week, I also ate all the dairy product I wanted. I never broke out. I continue eating yogurt with live culture and I have clear skin today. I have broken out sometimes, if I got confident and didn't eat the yogurt daily. I also broke out when eating real butter, but all other dairy products seem to be OK. Very important is that: if, because you can't stand yogurt, you decide to take the capsules of acidophilus, use only the live, refrigerated type because this is the naturally occurring fauna of human intestines and it needs to be alive. In addition, if you take the capsules, drink milk with it. This may seem strange, but Acidophilus is what helps process milk to make it digestible and it needs milk to remain viable in your intestines to be able to process other milk introduced there.

The important thing is balance.

*gulps* whoops. I just ate yogurt and drank two glasses of milk. Heh. DON'T DIE SKIN! eek. That's kinda bad. I love milk. Especially chocolate.

milk has no effect on my acne (thankgoodness, i love milk!). i've had periods of being clear and then breaking out over and over again while drinking milk on a daily basis so i dont think it has any effect on me.

THere is an ingredient in some soy milk products (Carragenan) that in some studies have a cancer link to them. Look for the soy milk brands that do not have this in them. Those types are fine.

Link to an article explaining this

http://www.drweil.com/u/QA/QA44833/

My derm didn't say anything about drinking soy milk... I guess it'd be ok.. Right now i'm not getting any calcium really..

Okay so I shoould stop drinking milk? And for the calcium pills? how much do they cost and how long do they last and do you need a note from a doctor or anything? biggrin.gif